News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djr18fan

Quote from: meha on June 04, 2021, 04:12:28 PM
Quote from: djr18fan on June 03, 2021, 05:02:08 PM
There will be no development of cars or engines according to this

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/06/03/supercars-to-end-arms-race-with-gen3/

I find the story quite ironic really. They keep saying that they are reducing costs by making a lot of parts spec but at the same time trying to say there will still be plenty of things to chance for teams to make things interesting.

You are either making things spec or not. You can't have it both ways.

Of course you can. Control parts that are adjustable. Everyone has the same part with the same adjustability built into it. Like ride hide, anti roll bars, tyre pressures, camber, caster et.

murph_fan51

Quote from: skaifeman on June 04, 2021, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: Sonic on June 04, 2021, 08:33:22 AM
give them one gearing setup to use for the year, stop them changing everything for every track they go to... make them adapt the driver rather than the car.

I change the diff between different hillclimbs! Let them change however they see fit, they'd all probably run the same anyway, but I don't know why there's a rule for specific ratio's at each track.

...and... GEN 3 POSTPONED:
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/statement-regarding-gen3-timeline/

Mid-season? (August).
Mid season change in cars does seem a bit odd, no doubt there will be a mid season break in the calendar?
debris debris debris

Ben

I seem to recall NASCAR doing something similar, with their COT? Poor planning IMO from Supercars but it is doable.

LG

So they have finally admitted something that most people have been telling them for some time by delaying the intro.
At least Seamer has finally listened.

Brazen

I don't like the idea of a mid-season intro... imagine a driver's title charge being de-railed by new car gremlins... pretty farcical

bb

Quote from: Brazen on June 05, 2021, 01:45:39 PM
I don't like the idea of a mid-season intro... imagine a driver's title charge being de-railed by new car gremlins... pretty farcical

Yep, can just hear it now "I only lost because they changed the car mid season"

If it needs to be delayed, delay it until the next year.

SetonFan

It probably proves that they'll never switch to a summer series as if they were ever going to do it they now have a perfect opportunity

Troy01505

They would never do it anyway. Summer is to hot for some drivers to cope

Roadways6

They've been throwing around summer series ideas for 25 years, the only people who were ever really interested in the summer series idea were were mid-90s Channel 7 management, and indeed the series started making a slight shift towards summer in 1996, before the black wiggle decided he knew what was best

skaifeman

It still confuses me how, the majority of drivers still want a gear stick:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/06/30/mclaughlin-heel-and-toe-part-of-the-art-of-supercars/

The fans also want a gear stick and no assisted shift:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/01/25/poll-the-heel-and-toe-in-supercars/

...yet Supercars insists on pursuing paddle shift.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

SetonFan

The drivers and fans don't pay the bills.

Barry Ryan also made the interesting point on the V8 Sleuth podcast that the drivers are of course going to be protective of something that they are used to and skilled at, as it makes it harder for others to beat them.

skaifeman

Quote from: SetonFan on June 30, 2021, 07:19:15 PM
The drivers and fans don't pay the bills.

Barry Ryan also made the interesting point on the V8 Sleuth podcast that the drivers are of course going to be protective of something that they are used to and skilled at, as it makes it harder for others to beat them.

Sounds like motorsport to me?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Troy01505

Heard a rumour from a major sponsor that over half the teams are committed to fighting to the finish to delay the next generation until 2023.

Maybe if we have anyone in the sport on here they can confirm or deny?

AlbertM

Quote from: Troy01505 on July 03, 2021, 07:58:11 AM
Heard a rumour from a major sponsor that over half the teams are committed to fighting to the finish to delay the next generation until 2023.

The way Gen 3 is going 2023 will be earliest anyway. 
Ford Faithful

Troy01505

Quote from: AlbertM on July 03, 2021, 11:30:24 AM
Quote from: Troy01505 on July 03, 2021, 07:58:11 AM

The way Gen 3 is going 2023 will be earliest anyway.

Sounds about right with everyone have heard outside of the dribble from the Supercars management themselves