News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbertM

Lower roof line will take a bit of strength out.  That's a good thing for us though. More chassis flex will have the teams chasing setup
Ford Faithful

Troy01505

Quote from: AlbertM on July 28, 2021, 11:12:22 PM
Lower roof line will take a bit of strength out.  That's a good thing for us though. More chassis flex will have the teams chasing setup

Finally thinking of us fans

AlbertM

If there is a flex issue, I doubt it's intentional.   Teams will hate chasing their tail with setup, but flex will cause a chassis to 'wear out'. The more it twists the more it will twist through it's life.
Ford Faithful

skaifeman

Quote from: AlbertM on July 29, 2021, 10:40:43 PM
If there is a flex issue, I doubt it's intentional.   Teams will hate chasing their tail with setup, but flex will cause a chassis to 'wear out'. The more it twists the more it will twist through it's life.

Sounds like the big teams will get new cars every season, is that cost saving?
Same thing happens in Karts - hence why it's so bloody expensive to run at the pointy end.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Troy01505

Word out of few teams is that they can't see how these cars will be any cheaper and even if they are it won't be by much and not for very long at all.

skaifeman

Is this the first time we've read this, or have I just missed it? One engine supplier for both Ford/Chev engines?

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/walkinshaw-repurpose-supercars-engine-shop/6659133/

I know they said that they wanted to stop the engine arms race, but that can be done through a good rule set, not dictating the supplier.
Walkinshaw, Kelly's, Tickford all lose out. Makes sense why the Grove's didn't get the engine dept, what will the Kelly's use it for?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

LG

Quote from: skaifeman on September 03, 2021, 04:27:18 PM
Is this the first time we've read this, or have I just missed it? One engine supplier for both Ford/Chev engines?

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/walkinshaw-repurpose-supercars-engine-shop/6659133/

I know they said that they wanted to stop the engine arms race, but that can be done through a good rule set, not dictating the supplier.
Walkinshaw, Kelly's, Tickford all lose out. Makes sense why the Grove's didn't get the engine dept, what will the Kelly's use it for?

I think it only really surfaced last week Skaifeman but that is one supplier for each brand.

madbugger

Would long will it be before the teams will just turn up on the Friday, draw a number out of a hat and be allocated a car based on that number. Slap their own stickers on and go racing.  Starting to turn into a very homogenised, controlled series. Not sure how much input the teams are going to have in 2-3 years time
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

Quote from: LG on September 03, 2021, 05:33:17 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on September 03, 2021, 04:27:18 PM

I think it only really surfaced last week Skaifeman but that is one supplier for each brand.

Sorry, yes, I meant one engine supplier each for Ford/Chev. What I wrote wasn't great English.

Screams Aussie Racing cars to me. That went down the path of hot engines and not-so-hot ones from memory.
Not saying this will eventuate in Supercars at all, but why do we need to go down this path? They're professional race teams, just tighten the rule book up!

stevo qld

There is so much faffing about on the design of the new Gen 3 Supercars.

For a start, there will be new owners before the car design is finalised and some of them have opinions on the changes.

There are so many classes and designs of cars out there that they could have adopted one and saved a hell of a lot of money, e.g. Bergers DTM and modified GT3 production cars.

There is the TA2 or even the Asian variant which also include Mercedes. (888 are using one for testing.)

When it all boils down, this is a 23 car private travelling circus. That's fine, they can do what they want with Supercars.

Motorsport Australia should let them get on with their private international circus and take the ATCC away and use it for an Australian Championship that genuinely reflects racing in this country, and there are several where a competitor can buy a rule complying car and enter and race.

There was a time when I could enter an ATCC race, and did, with a complying car, and in a 43 car field. Bathurst had many more.

Why are they building a unique design car and not allowing general competitors to enter and race?

Either way, let's get rid of the restriction on entry numbers. There are even Competitors who wish to build a car and enter it in state round and local events (just like Dick Johnson and others were allowed to do).

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

AlbertM

Supercars is entertainment more then motor racing. First and foremost,  people are trying to make money from it. The more people involved the more shares shrink. Made abundantly clear why they won't issue more RECs.

It's literally a travelling circus. With closer similarities to WWE than pure racing.
Ford Faithful

Troy01505

Hopefully new management scrap it and just take on TA2 cars

skaifeman

Going by Peter Adderton's latest Instagram post, new management won't be him.

AlbertM

Ford Faithful