News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: madbugger on May 14, 2021, 08:20:23 PM
I'm starting to wonder just how much life this organisation has left. From the outside it looks like a dead man walking.

Looking backwards, Tony Cochrane is not looking so bad after all🤣🤣

I don't know... I still found him annoying... the way he talked really grated

Sonic

Quote from: Trevor on May 14, 2021, 07:13:07 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else think SC's have lost the plot with what the sport is about?  I know I have been going on about 'production' racing for years, surely it must go full circle eventually

Fans are walking away from SC's in the droves, I know the millennials are more interested in other things, but it doesn't seem to me that SC's are looking to attract that audience and they should for the sport to survive

some decisions do leave you scratching your head for sure. they don't care about the fan trackside so much (personal opinion), they do care about the casual tv observer (which hurts the teams as tv viewers don't buy merch at the track)

for me I think they really could have had a winning option for direction with the TA2 setup that was simple, even if they decided to run it with their own current mechanical package and keep it overpriced. (Bathurst TA2 did a 2:15 vs SC at 2:05). So in current form they are 10 seconds a lap slower BUT $600,000 for a Supercar *link below* vs $130,000 for a TA2 (pricing is prob higher as the article was from 2018) but even if you double that price you could still give every REC owner 2 cars to run and still have money in the bank and the fans would be loving having more cars back on track which is what we want to see! Walking around the tracks that I go to the fans love them, they sound better, they move around and give the driver a challenge.

really think they missed the boat here.

https://www.race.news/2020/06/26/the-real-cost-of-a-supercar/
http://ta2racingaustralia.com/25th-car-sold-for-ta2-muscle-car-series/
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Trevor

I saw them the other (I think it was them), Glenn Seton's son was racing????  Looked like great racing

skaifeman

Quote from: Trevor on May 14, 2021, 09:41:27 PM
I saw them the other (I think it was them), Glenn Seton's son was racing????  Looked like great racing

Those are the ones. Paul Morris' son, Nash, has also had a crack quite successfully.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Troy01505

He took the sport from tears to glory but he also implemented the reasons for the gradual downfall. He saw the ship was going to sink and jumped once he sired the iceberg. For Adelaide to pull out of the calendar, the sport must be in some real bad shape. Hopefully it's sold off and new owners fix the circus and rid it of its incompetence.

In my opinion there is not a chance in hell that the new generation cars can be racing at next seasons start. More teams and officials see it the same way then those who think they'll be up and running next season.

Roadways6

Quote from: Troy01505 on May 15, 2021, 06:56:48 AM
He took the sport from tears to glory

What were the tears he started with?

djr18fan

A lot of nostalgia being posted. Again.

The Mustang had it's first test in November 18 prior racing from the start of the 2019 season.
The ZBs first run was in sept 17 prior to racing from the start of the 2018 season.

That suggests not seeing a completed gen3 car on track by mid 2021 does not spell disaster.

I reckon the engines are the main issue at this point.

midcoast1

Quote from: Troy01505 on May 15, 2021, 06:56:48 AM
He took the sport from tears to glory but he also implemented the reasons for the gradual downfall. He saw the ship was going to sink and jumped once he sired the iceberg. For Adelaide to pull out of the calendar, the sport must be in some real bad shape. Hopefully it's sold off and new owners fix the circus and rid it of its incompetence.

In my opinion there is not a chance in hell that the new generation cars can be racing at next seasons start. More teams and officials see it the same way then those who think they'll be up and running next season.

From what i could gather on The Enforcer And The Dude show when they discussed this on Friday , Supercars want the Gen 3 up and running next year but the teams want to wait till 2022 . As for going to the paddle shift . Dead against it myself

CP

With some of ideas floating around for Gen3 with paddle shifters, roof hatches for driver extraction, production based engines, closer to road going styling cues and the like, it's almost as if there are a group of cars that feature all of this and you can buy them straight off the shelf.

Sure, they'll lose a little bit of an engineering edge with the ruleset they are based around, and they are a little power restricted (which can be taken off) but you can buy them for around the same price as what they're quoting for the Gen3 car anyway.

Surely building the new ruleset around specced up GT4 cars wouldn't do the series any harm? Besides, what other category can you buy ready to go Mustangs and Camaros straight from the factory?

djr18fan

Quote from: CP on May 17, 2021, 12:39:45 AM
With some of ideas floating around for Gen3 with paddle shifters, roof hatches for driver extraction, production based engines, closer to road going styling cues and the like, it's almost as if there are a group of cars that feature all of this and you can buy them straight off the shelf.

Sure, they'll lose a little bit of an engineering edge with the ruleset they are based around, and they are a little power restricted (which can be taken off) but you can buy them for around the same price as what they're quoting for the Gen3 car anyway.

Surely building the new ruleset around specced up GT4 cars wouldn't do the series any harm? Besides, what other category can you buy ready to go Mustangs and Camaros straight from the factory?

There would still be a need for engine, aero, cof & possibly weight changes to cars from other formula in order to achieve parity. Given the cost of all that - may as well control your own destiny? I prefer technical parity ahead of BOP. Don't want to see some cars suit some tracks & not others, most teams running the same car & changing cars when better models appear. Continuity builds fan support.

Roadways6

Quote from: djr18fan on May 16, 2021, 07:04:19 AM
A lot of nostalgia being posted. Again.

The Mustang had it's first test in November 18 prior racing from the start of the 2019 season.
The ZBs first run was in sept 17 prior to racing from the start of the 2018 season.

That suggests not seeing a completed gen3 car on track by mid 2021 does not spell disaster.

I reckon the engines are the main issue at this point.

Mustang and ZB were just new skins on the existing platform

Completely different to a ground up brand new Gen3

Quote from: djr18fan on May 17, 2021, 04:29:06 AM

There would still be a need for engine, aero, cof & possibly weight changes to cars from other formula in order to achieve parity. Given the cost of all that - may as well control your own destiny? I prefer technical parity ahead of BOP. Don't want to see some cars suit some tracks & not others, most teams running the same car & changing cars when better models appear. Continuity builds fan support.

What parity would need to be done, GT4 parity is handled by SRO

Technical parity is the same as BoP

Cars suit some tracks and not others as is, and always have.

Teams swap models when better cars appear as is, why have Kelly's and Blanchards gone to the Mustang after it cleaned up in DJRTP's hands?

skaifeman

Quote from: Roadways6 on May 17, 2021, 09:05:33 AM
Quote from: djr18fan on May 17, 2021, 04:29:06 AM

What parity would need to be done, GT4 parity is handled by SRO

Technical parity is the same as BoP

Cars suit some tracks and not others as is, and always have.

Teams swap models when better cars appear as is, why have Kelly's and Blanchards gone to the Mustang after it cleaned up in DJRTP's hands?

To be fair, Kelly's and Blanchard went Mustang because the writing was on the wall for Holden. Ford are still tipping some sort of money into the sport.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Lyro

[/quote]

To be fair, Kelly's and Blanchard went Mustang because the writing was on the wall for Holden. Ford are still tipping some sort of money into the sport.
[/quote]

The also are being helped directly by Ford in various ways that Holden stopped doing years ago. Being able to talk direct to Ford Performance directly is a big help.  I don't think T8 would give away too much compared to what they would be getting.

brighty08

Does anyone reckon they should copy the next gen NASCAR and stick on a spoiler?

Trevor

and painted headlights/taillights?