News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

Quote from: djr18fan on January 16, 2022, 06:21:18 AM
Quote from: Roadways6 on January 15, 2022, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: djr18fan on January 15, 2022, 07:16:28 AM
Quote from: Roadways6 on January 14, 2022, 05:03:46 PM
Quote from: stevo qld on January 12, 2022, 10:46:21 PM

The beauty of Gen 3 is that there are only two designs of Supercar, with mostly common parts and the differences, such as the body, subject to extensive parity type adjustments, prior to manufacture

There is no "beauty" in such a restrictive rule set

I prefer that to avoid another 1988 ATCC.

1988, a year where every round bar one featured more than the current grid of 25 cars, Bathurst had close to 50 ..... more than two manufacturers too

"promised so much and delivered so very little"

I dunno, Ford Sierra won every race, DJR won 8 of 9 races, DJ and JB 1st and 2nd in championship, delivered pretty well for me ;D ;D ;D
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Skip

Supercars please avoid giving petulant Pete a rec at all costs!!

madbugger

Quote from: Skip on January 16, 2022, 12:10:58 PM
Supercars please avoid giving petulant Pete a rec at all costs!!

Agreed, nothing good could come from it
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Roadways6

Quote from: djr18fan

Compared to 1987....

Perhaps read the threads rather than just look for headlines

djr18fan

Quote from: Roadways6 on January 16, 2022, 08:47:44 PM

Compared to 1987....

f
Sorry, I'll quote your whole sentence. "[size=78%]Has there been a year in ATCC/Supercars history that promised so much and delivered so very little?".[/size][/size][size=78%]  Then in your summary you describe it as a disappointing year. I think that's clearly a condemnation of 1988.[/size][size=78%]

All because there were few control parts allowing one car to dominate.
The days of domination by one car and or one team were only great for the fans of that car brand or team.

Bring on Gen 3.

Roadways6

Quote from: djr18fan on January 17, 2022, 04:26:30 AM
Quote from: Roadways6 on January 16, 2022, 08:47:44 PM

Compared to 1987....

f
Sorry, I'll quote your whole sentence. "[size=78%]Has there been a year in ATCC/Supercars history that promised so much and delivered so very little?".[/size][/size][size=78%]  Then in your summary you describe it as a disappointing year. I think that's clearly a condemnation of 1988.[/size][size=78%]

All because there were few control parts allowing one car to dominate.
The days of domination by one car and or one team were only great for the fans of that car brand or team.

Bring on Gen 3.

Compared to 1987, where all the comparisons in that thread come from.

Given the grid sizes in 1988, and the following year, domination by one team didn't seem to scare any competitors or sponsors away.

The rules are so controlled now even the grid size can't grow

murph_fan51

debris debris debris

skaifeman

Quote from: murph_fan51 on February 06, 2022, 07:02:24 PM
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/why-supercars-is-keeping-stick-shift-for-gen3/

Seems like Supercars finally listened to the drivers and fans  8)  8)  8)

Good move IMO.
Probably only delaying the inevitable though.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

CP

Surely there are bigger issues within the sport other than how gears are changed?

The hysteria around it all just seemed a bit over the top.

Sonic

Quote from: CP on February 07, 2022, 10:07:27 AM
Surely there are bigger issues within the sport other than how gears are changed?

The hysteria around it all just seemed a bit over the top.

Agreed. But also it is just one further step away from being the Touring Cars that they are purported to be. Some of us still like the skill involved in a H box (hence the interest in the TA2 series I feel) where a driver can make an error and it costs... but is also rewarded when they get it right!

There are way too many 'safety nets' in a Supercar to cover mistakes and the results show on track.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Roadways6

Switching to paddles would have taken them closer to what touring cars should be.

Retaining a gear lever for the foreseeable future renders them even further down the path of non-touring cars...

Sonic

Quote from: Roadways6 on February 07, 2022, 11:56:05 AM
Switching to paddles would have taken them closer to what touring cars should be.

Retaining a gear lever for the foreseeable future renders them even further down the path of non-touring cars...

They are much closer to a bespoke sports sedan. They have nothing to do with touring cars.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

mikeamerica84

I am all for Supercars sticking with the shifter vice the paddles.  Heck, I would like to see the H-pattern come back, but that is wishful thinking.

Who cares if the series does not align with other forms of motorsport.  That is the alluring part of it - the uniqueness.  Kind of like your whole country in general.  An isolated continent that broke off from somewhere zillions of years ago.  Subsequently evolution of many things and beings has now resulted so many unique things and beings that other parts of the world do not have, such as the Aboriginal ways, koalas, the duck-billed platypus, and Paul Morris.  A zillion more years from now research will show that Supercars were amongst those isolated gems.

However, I just read today where you have opened up your borders for international travel for the first time in two years.  Isolation is a fleeting goal.  With that, sooner or later Supercars will more than likely cave to paddles.  I'll continue enjoying this era while I can.

Bring on the start of the racing season.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

stevo qld

Looking at reports of F1 drivers having a taste of almost superseded Supercars made me think. I do occasionally. ;)

Supercars say that they actually own both the Mustang and Camaro prototypes.

Once Gen 3 hits the track, all 25 of them (but hopefully 26), will Supercars still retain the prototypes.

If so, why not allow them to be run at Bathurst for International Superstars from other categories?

They will need to be adopted by an existing team but it is logistically possible.

Along with a couple of other team wildcards, we could see a 30 car grid. Even Porsche have 31.  ;D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Not a bad idea.
I've always thought a wildcard at the AGP would be great, adds to the international flavour of the weekend.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977