News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd

Quote from: djr18fan on May 03, 2023, 04:27:33 AM
Kick in the nuts for Ford. Unstable camshafts. Engines have the same power. Up to Ford to work out how to get the engine to function when gears changed. How many years have Ford had ?
Mate you are in the wrong canoe. 

The main issue is the Ford Coyote is a modern DOHC 4valve with VCT versus a dinosaur pushrod V8 that has always used a boring bar for any power increases.

As such it needed to go to 5.7L (350ci) whereas the Ford is 5.4L and in addition its VCT has been turned off, which is a major issue for a DOHC with a 4valve head.  However, that had to also be done to allow the Chev to be in the ballpark.

My guess would be the now apparent camshaft issue is related to VCT being turned off and no doubt if Ford Performance were provided all the data and facts they will find a cure but somehow I seem to think Supercars may be a tad hesitant for various reasons.

stevo qld

The manufacturers had their choice of engines.

Now, the teams should have the option of choosing which engine they use.

To the spectators it will not change their appearance.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

hsv8fan

Ford also had the option to be the whole/only engine supplier for the category but declined as they didn't want an unbranded Ford engine in something else.
Suck it up and stop whining.

Zac

Quote from: jd on May 03, 2023, 11:47:46 AM
The main issue is the Ford Coyote is a modern DOHC 4valve with VCT versus a dinosaur pushrod V8 that has always used a boring bar for any power increases.
Maybe the comparable GM engine would be the LT6. It's a modern, 5.5 litre DOHC 4 valve with VVT. It's considerably lighter than the 5.4 Coyote, but the main issue would be that the current, production version produces 500kW, which is considerably more than the current Ford and GM Supercar race engines make.

stevo qld

Quote from: stevo qld on May 03, 2023, 12:00:27 PM
The manufacturers had their choice of engines.

Now, the teams should have the option of choosing which engine they use.

To the spectators it will not change their appearance.

Clarification: :-[

What I meant to say was that the option would be either of the two current controlled engines.

.i.e. A Mustang with a current Chevrolet engine or a Ford engine and a Camaro with a Chevrolet or a current Ford engine.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

JC predicting another change before Tassie - which would be the submitted map change by Ford post-AGP?
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/18/courtney-foresees-another-parity-adjustment-for-mustang/

Also a fairly well written article here. It's laid out and definitely arguably strong evidence, but at the end of the day it's based on something that has infinite variables.
Therein lies the issue though,  laid out on a dyno with as many controls as managable put in place they would be equal...
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/15/gen3-supercars-parity-data-wanneroo/
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Joe5619

I haven't been keeping up with all the news.. Do the Ford teams have new engine mapping for this round?

fordman

Quote from: Joe5619 on May 20, 2023, 09:56:58 AM
I haven't been keeping up with all the news.. Do the Ford teams have new engine mapping for this round?

I believe they are trialling a new map in Practice rounds.

Bloopy

Yeah, but that doesn't rule out an adjusted map for the other sessions. This is all Speedcafe said about it though:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/19/mustangs-to-trial-multiple-engine-maps-in-tasmania-practice/
QuoteA map is believed to have already been locked in for the competitive sessions of the weekend – qualifying and racing

bb

So they've spent millions on new cars that break easier, are harder to fix, seem to take longer to build, still don't have the parity right, dont use the engine from the donor car....but look like the cars they're based on.

So, tell me again why they're not running the trans am cars?

Love to see a cost comparison.

madbugger

Quote from: bb on May 24, 2023, 02:36:29 PM
So they've spent millions on new cars that break easier, are harder to fix, seem to take longer to build, still don't have the parity right, dont use the engine from the donor car....but look like the cars they're based on.

So, tell me again why they're not running the trans am cars?

Love to see a cost comparison.

or GT cars. It's a successful series, there are multiple makes, chose a vehicle and go racing.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

djr18fan

Is this the nearest we have to a parity topic? Rather than clogging up round topics with parity arguments?

****. It's embarrassing being a ford supporter at the moment. Ford present a car for homolgation. Eventually say they are happy with the aero.
Then they bleat about the engine, that they presented. Sure, there still may be issues with engine parity, but in car footage appeared to show mustangs were at least hhe equal of Camaros down the long Darwin straight.
So now Ford teams bleat about aero. That they designed  presented and signed off on.
Come on Ford.

LG

Quote from: djr18fan on June 20, 2023, 08:17:48 AMIs this the nearest we have to a parity topic? Rather than clogging up round topics with parity arguments?

****. It's embarrassing being a ford supporter at the moment. Ford present a car for homolgation. Eventually say they are happy with the aero.
Then they bleat about the engine, that they presented. Sure, there still may be issues with engine parity, but in car footage appeared to show mustangs were at least hhe equal of Camaros down the long Darwin straight.
So now Ford teams bleat about aero. That they designed  presented and signed off on.
Come on Ford.

You do know that SVG drove a Stang at QR in testing? As soon as he stepped out his words were, this won't win a race.

AlbertM

Quote from: djr18fan on June 20, 2023, 08:17:48 AMIs this the nearest we have to a parity topic? Rather than clogging up round topics with parity arguments?

Come on Ford.

The chassis was designed by Supercars and 888 to introduce Camaro. They handed the chassis to DJR to design the Mustang body.

Supercars tuned the aero, Supercars tuned the Ford engine down to match the Chev engine.

Ford presented nothing that Supercars hasn't changed.

Supercar is withholding test and race data to compare to see if there is a problem or not. Ford and it's teams are asking, why?
Ford Faithful

Joe5619

Quote from: LG on June 20, 2023, 02:40:38 PM

Come on Ford.

You do know that SVG drove a Stang at QR in testing? As soon as he stepped out his words were, this won't win a race.
Interesting.. Which Mustang did he drive?

A shame more of that wasn't down before the year started (with un biased drivers)..

Lets hope something is done before the next round before it becomes more of a **** storm