News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gee Pee (spoliers)

Started by REM, April 06, 2022, 10:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REM

Lol....it's a pretty mundane script.....I'd sack the playwrights arse.... ;)

Zac

Quote from: REM on April 09, 2022, 06:10:10 PM
Lol....it's a pretty mundane script....
...that's been played and replayed many times in many sports over many decades. It's less mundane when you support the villian. Some call it "wrong guy (or girl :-*) winning", but cheer up. All these things come and go in cycles.

kennymiesta

Scorecard on the weekend so far...

Practice & Qualy
Typical F1 weekend where V8's are playing second fiddle to the main show, but this is to be expected because at a V8 round, all the supports tend to get shafted in favour of more V8 track time. Certainly makes things interesting....

Race 1
Great win by Mostert. What a drive from Gizzy. To go from more or less last to the podium is very impressive. Shows how much a class of his own he is. Tyres threw in a mixed bag which obviously helped Gizzy make his way forward as 50% of the vehicles infront of him were shot after lap 12 - 14 from being on the softs for too long.
I don't think you could have really predicted the way the tyres would blister on every car. Maybe some, but not every car. A consequence of limited practice running.

Race 2
Will Davison continues to race really hard with everyone.... except Shane. I don't know if it is just the Shane factor or what it is, but every time Shane comes onto the back of Will, it's like he forgets how to race someone, then someone else comes along and he has his elbows out again. No wonder Gizzy wins everything when everyone moves out of his way. Regardless, it was really good race craft by Shane to put the move on where he did.
Cam Waters continues to be unimpressive this year, driving another person of the road. I know that he didn't mean to push Davison off the road, but it is another mistake by Cam and it looks like his challenge for the championship is over already.
The Courtney / Mostert last corner crash - I think Chaz was hard done by to receive a PLP for that. I know he hit him behind the rear wheel, but had he not been driven off the road the corner before, he would have been beside the door. I can see where Courtney is coming from, but I believe he had some involvement in the crash. On the back of this however, I was very glad to see Holdsworth on the podium.

Race 3
Same same really. More Gizzy domination.

See what tomorrow's race brings.

PVDA

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on April 07, 2022, 06:41:31 PM
What was all of the white stuff on the track?  Styrofoam?  Hot dog wrappers?  It looks to me the barriers are dense foam rubber backed up by the tire bundles.  Where did the white pieces come from?

The Tecpro barrier blocks are plastic blocks filled with styrofoam and he destroyed one on impact.

I'm marshalling at Turn 5 so had a grandstand view of all 3 Tecpro hits on Thursday.

CP

Quote from: PVDA on April 09, 2022, 10:27:20 PM
What was all of the white stuff on the track?  Styrofoam?  Hot dog wrappers?  It looks to me the barriers are dense foam rubber backed up by the tire bundles.  Where did the white pieces come from?

The Tecpro barrier blocks are plastic blocks filled with styrofoam and he destroyed one on impact.

I'm marshalling at Turn 5 so had a grandstand view of all 3 Tecpro hits on Thursday.

I often wondered how Tecpro would hold up against a big, heavy sedan.

That was a good example.

Sonic

Made it to t5 today but didn't spy you PVDA? :( No doubt will catch up soon.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

mikeamerica84

Thanks for that reply, mate.  Glad no one of yours was hurt by the shunt.

Learn something every day I like to think.  Today was a success.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

SetonFan

I think we've covered this before but winning a round with a 20th place finish must be close to a record?

Mostert threw the round away with that dive on Courtney as it turned out.

skaifeman

Quote from: SetonFan on April 12, 2022, 01:42:09 PM
I think we've covered this before but winning a round with a 20th place finish must be close to a record?

Mostert threw the round away with that dive on Courtney as it turned out.

Goes to show there's a fine line between win at all costs and thinking the bigger picture. Mostert could've nibbled away at SVG's title lead if he had've thought 4th was good enough.

Reynolds also likely just needed to finish the final race to win the trophy.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

WAU

Courtney got what he deserved. He's been doing that sort of crap for years (running people wide and giving them no room). Only this time he got KO'ed for picking a fight and I feel absolutely no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Since Chaz joined the team it's made me realise how little Courtney done in the same seat. Hope he has fun driving that Tickford ****box.

skaifeman

Quote from: WAU on April 12, 2022, 04:00:54 PM
Courtney got what he deserved. He's been doing that sort of crap for years (running people wide and giving them no room). Only this time he got KO'ed for picking a fight and I feel absolutely no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Since Chaz joined the team it's made me realise how little Courtney done in the same seat. Hope he has fun driving that Tickford ****box.

Sure, all well and good. Chaz can't afford to play those games though.
Hindinsight is easy I know, but if he just sits in 4th, he takes home an extra 41pts winning the LP trophy and eating into SVG's lead, rather than losing out.

Also worth mentioning that Chaz wasn't up the inside, he actually hits JC in the rear quarter, from behind.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

SetonFan

Especially in a 75 point race the gains were even less than normal for making the overtake stick

PVDA

So Jake rakes the Turn 5 barriers.  What was all of the white stuff on the track?  Styrofoam?  Hot dog wrappers?  It looks to me the barriers are dense foam rubber backed up by the tire bundles.  Where did the white pieces come from?

The plastic blocks that form the Tecpro barrier which sits in front of the standard tyre & conveyor belt set up is full of foam, it is not the usual white styro foam but the coffee coloured foam you see in mattresses and car seats but the video & photo's make it look white for some reason ?? 

He slammed into the block hard enough to rip it open and spill the contents everywhere which is what they're designed to do it hit hard enough I believe.

I was a marshal on that corner and all 3 cars which crashed on Thursday where going to have a crash into the wall Tecpro barrier or not, the Tecpro barrier reduced the impact but also had to be rebuilt after each impact with Kostecki being the hardest hit.

The clean up was fairly quick, it was the decision to remove 20+ metres of the Tecpro barrier to give cars a bit of wriggle room after the Kostecki hit that took more time and caused the delay.

Vettel had a weekend to forget, his crash out of 4 in the race looked like a rookie mistake and not like the pro driver we all know he is.