News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Covid’s affect on 2022

Started by skaifeman, January 07, 2022, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fordman

Quote from: Sonic on January 09, 2022, 06:55:12 PM
with the way nsw and vic are feeling like they are starting to get back into lockdowns gotta wonder how 2022 will pan out for any interstate/international sports. the 12 hour doesn't feel like it will happen which would also have to call into question the Newcastle event a week later.

hopefully they get it all sorted to make it happen.

pretty sure there will be no lockdowns. looking to me like they are heading away from isolation for close contacts to only confirmed cases isolating. Using RAT daily for close contacts whilst ever they show negative they can still move around and work etc for a set amount of days. Thats what is being planned for essential workers in the supply chain to address the shortages on the shelves, if that works expect it will be expanded, hospitality sector wants in as well.

Sporting teams may follow???? pretty risky trying to run a national sport like SC where any day any time you could be out of action under the current rules. Just look at the cricket ATM even footy teams are suffering. SC cannot pluck out a local driver or engineer to fill a spot on the day like Brisbane Heat did in the BBL.

mikeamerica84

with the way nsw and vic are feeling like they are starting to get back into lockdowns gotta wonder how 2022 will pan out for any interstate/international sports. the 12 hour doesn't feel like it will happen which would also have to call into question the Newcastle event a week later.

At a minimum, the 12 Hours being pushed back few weeks will only help matters at the moment.  It buys everyone a little more time.  A lot can happen/change by then.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Sonic

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on January 10, 2022, 10:51:22 AM

At a minimum, the 12 Hours being pushed back few weeks will only help matters at the moment.  It buys everyone a little more time.  A lot can happen/change by then.

Don't think so Mike. If the date doesn't work for the 12 hour I feel we will miss out on it again and something else will get substituted in. Plenty of categories would put their hand up for a weekend on the Mount.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

SetonFan

Like Sonic I didn't think this would be an option but Gover at AA saying the 12 Hours might be moved to May and that Newcastle is only 50/50

https://autoaction.com.au/2022/01/10/bathurst-12-hour-to-be-postponed

Alan59

I think the more likely scenario is that the currently listed NSW TBA Nationals meeting will be at Bathurst in May and the 12 Hour is gone for good.New Supercar owners may have no interest in the event.What a pity.
Who would have thought in early 2020 we had seen our last Bathurst 12 Hour and Adelaide 500?

murph_fan51

Why would the 12 hour be gone for good?

What's the current situation with borders in Australia?
debris debris debris

Alan59

Quote from: murph_fan51 on January 11, 2022, 04:41:36 PM
Why would the 12 hour be gone for good?

What's the current situation with borders in Australia?
New Supercars owners not interested?
No one prepared to buy out the contract?

Roadways6

The new Supercars owners also co-promote the Australian GT Championship, along with SRO.

Even if the new Supercars owners DID want out of the 12 hour, the event is half owned by the Bathurst Regional Council who I'm sure want the event to continue, and I'm sure SRO would happily step in to Supercars place to promote the event too, given its a prominent IGTC round. Punters might have to get used to no more Radio Le Mans commentary though...

Having said that, I've no doubt the new Supercars owners are thinking about Newcastle primarily right now and not giving the 12hr much thought.....let alone TCR and S5000 who have their first rounds scheduled before both of those other events

Alan59

Quote from: Roadways6 on January 11, 2022, 06:46:34 PM
The new Supercars owners also co-promote the Australian GT Championship, along with SRO.

Even if the new Supercars owners DID want out of the 12 hour, the event is half owned by the Bathurst Regional Council who I'm sure want the event to continue, and I'm sure SRO would happily step in to Supercars place to promote the event too, given its a prominent IGTC round. Punters might have to get used to no more Radio Le Mans commentary though...

Having said that, I've no doubt the new Supercars owners are thinking about Newcastle primarily right now and not giving the 12hr much thought.....let alone TCR and S5000 who have their first rounds scheduled before both of those other events
The GT Championship is a funded by competitors support race on a multi category program.There is no comparison with the cost of running the 12 Hour which  has a significant overseas entry and is very expensive to run.
Stefan Ratel organises entrant groups and provides fields to promoters for a fee.He does not run meetings himself.Bathurst Council aren't going to take an entrepreneurial risk themselves and I don't think they have been able to find another partner.
It is telling that communications to existing camp site holders have come from Bathurst Council not Supercars.And no they have not offered renewals.
The 12 Hour would be in the top 3-4 events that Supercars promote.It is not credible that they didn't give it a lot of thought even before the new owners put in their bid.

Roadways6

Quote from: Alan59
The GT Championship is a funded by competitors support race on a multi category program.There is no comparison with the cost of running the 12 Hour which  has a significant overseas entry and is very expensive to run.

It shows that RACE have an interest in GT racing given they control both the 12hr and the GT Championship, with SRO having an interest in both.

Quote from: Alan59
Stefan Ratel organises entrant groups and provides fields to promoters for a fee.He does not run meetings himself.Bathurst Council aren't going to take an entrepreneurial risk themselves and I don't think they have been able to find another partner.
It is telling that communications to existing camp site holders have come from Bathurst Council not Supercars.And no they have not offered renewals.
The 12 Hour would be in the top 3-4 events that Supercars promote.It is not credible that they didn't give it a lot of thought even before the new owners put in their bid.

Completely incorrect.

Ratel's company promotes many championships, not least of which the GT World Challenge Europe (formerly Blancpain) and the Endurance Series, coupled with the French GT Series and the British GT Championship that he has controlled since 2004, not to mention the Pirelli World Challenge in America too, and GT Asia.
Ratel running championship's stretches back to the 1997 FIA GT Championship.

Running the Bathurst 12hr is probably his preferred option, the 12hr is the only IGTC event his company doesn't have direct control over.

Alan59

Running Championships is completely different to organising race meetings.Liberty promote F1 but don't organise race meetings,Dorna promote Moto GP but don't organise race meetings.
Ratel hardly has the people on the ground in Australia to run the 12  Hour meeting.He would have to hire people to do it.Who has that expertise?Supercars?ARG?People who could have run the race themselves but decided no.Also adding another level of cost in running the meeting.

Roadways6

Yet SRO does organise race meetings. He hires people in plenty of countries to run SRO controlled events, why would it be any different in Australia?

I see RACE jettisoning the 6hr or the International before they canned the 12hr.

skaifeman

The first domino falls, and it's SVG:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/04/12/van-gisbergen-out-of-bathurst-6-hour/

He'll miss the Bathurst 6hr and TransAm round, but should be good to go for Barbagallo.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

TheArrow

Did a quick skim through and I did spot someone mention the round drop rule was implemented for 2020 and 2021. I was reading through the ops manual the other day (don't judge, I had a reason to  ;D) and it is still in place for 2022.

The curious thing is it is worded in a way that states if a driver cannot participate due to COVID19, the drivers will drop their worst round. Does 'not getting vaxed and allegedly faking an exemption' count, because perhaps the 2021 championship points need amending...

Edit: my point in that second paragraph is that it does not state a driver has to contract COVID19. It states if a driver misses an event "due to COVID19".

Edit 2: I just found the actual wording:

In SUPERCARS OPERATIONS MANUAL 2022 DIVISION "D" – SPORTING RULES, under D14. POINT SCORE
D14.1 General Prescriptions - Points  and then under 14.1.7 it says:

QuoteIf a Driver or Competitor is forced to withdraw from an Event by Covid-19, the final
championship points for both the Driver's and Team's championship's will then be
calculated by dropping the worst Event points from all Drivers final point score

At no point does it specify a driver has to contract COVID19. Definitely open to interpretation if it ever impacted a major championship player.