News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Bathurst 12 Hour RIP?

Started by Alan59, January 11, 2022, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

It is not unusual for overseas teams to cancel their entry closer to the race, or 2 car teams to suddenly become a 1 car team.

Then there are possible non-starters due to non-cured problems (eg Ambrose Mustang recently)

Add a couple of the drivers trying to move the safety fencing further back or bounce off another car i practice or even pre-event practice.

It seems likely that the starters will be about 15 to 18 and the finishers 10 to 12.

I hope not, but is a huge effort and expense required to staff the racetrack for a single race with a small field.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on May 05, 2022, 05:13:06 PM
It is not unusual for overseas teams to cancel their entry closer to the race, or 2 car teams to suddenly become a 1 car team.

Then there are possible non-starters due to non-cured problems (eg Ambrose Mustang recently)

Add a couple of the drivers trying to move the safety fencing further back or bounce off another car i practice or even pre-event practice.

It seems likely that the starters will be about 15 to 18 and the finishers 10 to 12.

I hope not, but is a huge effort and expense required to staff the racetrack for a single race with a small field.

on the plus side for the flaggies few entrants means it will hopefully be an easier event for them.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Alan59

Quote from: Sonic on May 05, 2022, 07:49:25 PM
Quote from: stevo qld on May 05, 2022, 05:13:06 PM

on the plus side for the flaggies few entrants means it will hopefully be an easier event for them.
I hope it will be a very very easy day for the safety car driver to the point they are nearly redundant.Realistically it is the wrong circuit for that though.

stevo qld

here is the TV viewing times.

https://www.supercars.com/news/bathurst12hour/how-to-watch-the-2022-bathurst-12-hour/

It is very wet here in Brisbane, The alleged "Sunshine State" so I will watch some.

I hope all drivers and officials have a safe and enjoyable weekend.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Kytabu

It is also very wet here in Bathurst ;D.

Weather is actually not too bad this morning. Overcast but not too dark.

There was fog on the Mountain when we arrived at 2:30 yesterday so it will be interesting to see how many full sessions we actually get in.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

skaifeman

Really looking forward to the top 10.

Enjoy the weekend Ky, hope you took your rain jacket. Last years 1000 was touted for 100mm+ of rain, and it rained for all of 10mins on the Thursday... we packed nothing but wet weather gear :o ;D.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

Don't need the rain jacket at the moment! Didn't bring my hat or sunnies down to the Elbow though :o. I still don't think we'll be as lucky weather-wise as we were in December, but very happy to at least have it dry this morning!

Hoping all of the cars make it safely through practice and qualifying and we get all 20 on the grid for Sunday.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Alan59

Arrived this morning.First thing noticeable is how strong the crowd is.I thought it would be tiny but isn't too much different to past years at least across the top of the mountain.
I think that shows the level of affection and fandom this race has developed.
Also give me that 2x15 minute final qualifying over a 1 car on the track shootout anytime.Hopefully they will keep that in the years ahead.Also hopefully they will never feel obliged to use the lucky dog again.
Given the chronic unreliability MPC Audi's have had in this race in the past I would normally favour one of those 888 run cars but I'm not sure their Am's are up to it.

stevo qld

What I have noticed is that there are eligible cars sitting in garages in Australia. Someone needs an Audi replacement. That's OK, there are unused cars that are eligible and can be updated. Need a replacement for a crashed Mercedes. That's OK there is one in the country that can be purchased as a replacement, possibly more.

I wonder how many of Tony Quinn's Cars he still has that could be run. How many does Scotty Taylor have?

It is difficult to total the cars as some were leased and returned overseas or just become an ornament in someone's Bar or Shed.

There are quite a few eligible cars, even old Supercars and Marc cars that are eligible.

Is it the sheer expense of wearing out a car for 12 hours running and the need for a rebuild even if not crashed?

Regardless, only  a small portion are running in the 12 hour this weekend.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Trevor

Been watching since 5.00 this morning, with a 90 minute break to watch Insiders in the ABC

Thinking about going next year
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

Joe5619

God they have ****ed up the rules this year!!

TheArrow

Gotta say, been really disappointed with the coverage quality this weekend. So many incidents have been missed because whoever is controlling the cameras weren't paying attention or the camera was just aimed at the apex.

Not sure if it's the same crew as Supercars usually use but it's definitely not been up to par...

What I will say is that it's been surprisingly not boring with so few cars. By no means has it been an exciting or interesting race, but it has definitely kept my attention for the most part throughout the day. It's been on in the background and I've found myself stopping what I'm doing to watch it more often than not.

It is nothing compared to previous years (2020 being one of the best) but it's certainly not the snoozefest I was expecting.

Edit: I think I spoke too soon, this last 2hrs have been a real challenge to stay interested.

CP

Quote from: TheArrow on May 15, 2022, 01:56:40 PM

Edit: I think I spoke too soon, this last 2hrs have been a real challenge to stay interested.

I thought it was quite a nice change to have a race that wasn't so reliant on building your race around a safety car every hour.

I know the older bunch would've got full Woody's over it feeling like an old school enduro, whereas some of us kids would've found it boring because the safety car filled ones are the type of Bathurst enduros we've grown up with.

A couple of downers were that qualifying session. I get the reasons why it was changed, but a 30 minute session for the Top 10 would've been way better and less confusing than what we had. Also MPC seem to have a knack of screwing themselves through attrition or strategy. It's like the only way Audi can win the 12 Hour is in a car run by Joest, Phoenix or WRT.

Can we keep the earlier start time for next year?

Extra night time running is cool as ****.

Alan59

Quote from: Alan59 on May 14, 2022, 08:57:42 PM
Arrived this morning.First thing noticeable is how strong the crowd is.I thought it would be tiny but isn't too much different to past years at least across the top of the mountain.
I think that shows the level of affection and fandom this race has developed.
Also give me that 2x15 minute final qualifying over a 1 car on the track shootout anytime.Hopefully they will keep that in the years ahead.Also hopefully they will never feel obliged to use the lucky dog again.
Given the chronic unreliability MPC Audi's have had in this race in the past I would normally favour one of those 888 run cars but I'm not sure their Am's are up to it.
When the chronic MPC Bathurst unreliability didn't touch one of their cars then the most knuckleheaded lack of strategy I think I have ever seen took out their chances.Everyone knew that an Am couldn't do more than an hour and had to basically be taken out of the car at every pit stop.It was even repeated on the PA about a hundred times across the weekend.Yet MPC forgot about this with 2 cars and quite possibly cost 74 the win.
If Audi want to ever win this race again they need to bring out a Euro team again.

CP

Yasser Shahin didn't do himself any favours either.

Ignoring blue flags, passing cars under safety cars.