News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Jumping Clown Trucks to leave.

Started by stevo qld, January 12, 2022, 01:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

QuoteThe action-packed Stadium Super Trucks category might be gone from Australian shores for good with its 12-strong fleet being returned to the United States.

The development comes as SST stakeholders voice their dismay at a supposed lack of support from Supercars' new owners.

Typically, Supercars has paid SST a fee which is designed to offset costs such as travel for competitors.

With an agreement unable to be reached for 2022, the dozen trucks are slated to leave Australia on Wednesday, January 19.

Boost Mobile boss Peter Adderton, whose company was the naming rights partner of the Australian series, has come out swinging, questioning the judgement of the RACE consortium which now owns Supercars.

"I think it's a lack of understanding from the new Supercars ownership of how important Stadium Super Trucks were to the fans," Adderton, RACE's chief rival during the championship's sale process, told Speedcafe.com.

"And it's not a positive sign, in my opinion, that they truly understand what the fans want if they're going to [send] Stadium Super Trucks back without at least trying to fight to keep them here.

"They were a fan favourite and I think at the end of the day we want them there, we're obviously a big supporter of having them there, and we'd like to get Supercars to reconsider.

"But again, it concerns me that the new owners of Supercars don't see those things as valuable as fans; they were part of the entertainment of what made the weekend great.

"I can't think of another support category that gets people more excited than the Stadium Super Trucks.

"The drivers relate to the fans, the personality of the trucks relate to the fans, and I just think we need more of those categories in the country, not less.

"I think it's a huge vacuum that gets left."

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/01/12/stadium-super-trucks-fleet-to-be-shipped-back-to-us/

Maybe they can replace the alleged "Vacuum" with some actual racing. There are certainly a lot of categories that would happily fill the vacuum and provide actual real racing.

Once again, Adderton speaks out on another issue that helps promote Boost with free advertising in the guise of news comment. It seems to be a new issue almost every day that needs his Boost comment.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

While I agree it is different from 'actual racing' it is still something enjoyed by many from the fenceline.

Also agree that plenty of categories would put up their hand for a show on the national stage but I doubt SC would consider them to be of a 'high enough calibre' to be on with them on any sort of regular basis.

Sure we get 'lower' categories like Excels or Imp Prod but that is a pretty rare occurrence
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

madbugger

Much prefer the trucks to the Toyota series.  They provided a fair bit of entertainment. Not sure why the new owners don't want them, maybe too much support for them vs the main game racing?
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

PVDA

Winton has proven 40+ Excels can put on good racing.

skaifeman

And it looks like the fans won't mind much that they are leaving:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/01/14/survey-tcm-voted-the-premier-supercars-support-category/

Finished 5/8 out of the support categories people most like to watch.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977