Author Topic: 2022 NASCAR Season Has Commenced  (Read 995 times)

Offline mikeamerica84

• V8CFL Tsar
    • View Profile
2022 NASCAR Season Has Commenced
« on: February 08, 2022, 01:10:34 AM »
I'll kick off this not too popular anymore section of the forum:  NASCAR has gone to their new Generation car.  Composite bodies, transaxles, a more "street version" look for the Camaros and Mustangs, one wheel nut, wider tires, larger diameter wheels, and the car number moved forward to allow more signage space on the quarterpanels.

The first race was the Busch Light Clash at the Los Angeles Coliseum, previously home to the Los Angelese Rams, Los Angeles Raiders, two Olympics, and a World Series back in the late 50s.  Now it essentially has no tenants and sits dormant.  But they put in a 1/4 mile asphalt oval in the stadium over a period of three months, used it this past weekend, and plan on removing it this week and restoring the football field.  The Clash has always been a non-points gimmick race for pole winners from the previous year.  Traditionally the first race of the year, commencing as a 20 lap sprint race back in the early 80s at Daytona for $$$ and a trophy to kickoff Speed Weeks.  It has morphed into various formats.  This year, moved to a one off track, heat races, last chance races, and a feature race, much like speedways.

A 10 minute highlight reel:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKfplKTUXA
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Offline meha

• View Profile
Re: 2022 NASCAR Season Has Commenced
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 09:55:41 AM »
they certainly got good ratings in the US, so I would say that a few people watched it.

I only watched the highlights and the track certainly gave off the short track vibes.

It will be interesting if the new cars produce good pack racing on the high banks of Florida. 

Offline LG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 05:41:09 PM »
Being an  old speedway bloke, I love the short tracks!

Offline mikeamerica84

• V8CFL Tsar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 03:19:20 AM »
International Speedway Corporation (NASCAR) purchased California Speedway years ago from Roger Penske.  A two mile power track and essentially a clone of Michigan International Speedway.  The problem is, since then, NASCAR has faded and attendance there was dismal.  The track is in Fontana, near the LA market.  Plans have been in place to tear it up and rebuild it as a half mile track (for the 2023 season).  Many are claiming this LA Coliseum clash race was a litmus test to see how that might work.  We'll see what happens as the world turns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Club_Speedway

Offline madbugger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 07:44:03 AM »

But not that short, surely?
If you don’t like my comment, ignore it. If you don’t know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Offline LG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 09:08:25 PM »

I reckon it's actually harder to drive on a short track.

Offline madbugger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 05:57:00 AM »

I reckon it's actually harder to drive on a short track.

I don’t doubt that, but it just becomes a follow the leader, with what looks like the only way to pass is push the car in front out of they way. I would much rather watch 500km of high speed on a 2 mile track. ( which is probably much the same just at a much higher speed😁😁)
If you don’t like my comment, ignore it. If you don’t know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Offline CP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 08:12:33 AM »
The Clash wasn't as chaotic or boring as some people suggested it would be.

I thought it was quite good to watch and the new cars look great in action.

As for the centrelock nuts, some of the rusted ons were very up in arms over that, thinking it'll ruin the magic of pit stops. Trust me it won't. You can still **** that up and ruin a pit stop. It's happened in Supercars many, many times.

Offline mikeamerica84

• V8CFL Tsar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 01:21:05 AM »
Back in the 80s, NASCAR raced eight times per season on 1/2 mile tracks.  That is about 1/4 of their calendar.  The cars then seemed to be less balanced in quality and sometimes drivers won by more than a lap.  When bumping cars out of the way occurred it was generally the lead cars bumping the cars to be lapped.  If a driver bumped another contender out of the way for the win, then paybacks at the next race, or somewhere down the line, would occur.

I always felt if you wish to push someone out of the way for the win, that is fine, but do not do it on the last lap.  Give the guy a chance to get back up to your boot and repay you.

Now the cars are so similar, and with the wave around and stage racing, it is all jam packed together.  The pushing and shoving has gone was past the tipping point for me.  Certain fans like that but I prefer the drivers showing a little respect for each other.

Offline Sonic

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Phil Wisewould Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 08:41:41 AM »
never liked the "bump to pass"

if you can't get by cleanly you don't deserve the spot.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Offline V8SuperRiley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 02:24:55 PM »
I don't mind a bump to pass, but expect it back.

I'm not a fan of intentionally wrecking the other bloke though, that's when it gets a bit out of control.

So far the racing has been good. 3 different tracks (Including LA) and 3 good races.