News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

2022 NASCAR Season Has Commenced

Started by mikeamerica84, February 08, 2022, 01:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

I'll kick off this not too popular anymore section of the forum:  NASCAR has gone to their new Generation car.  Composite bodies, transaxles, a more "street version" look for the Camaros and Mustangs, one wheel nut, wider tires, larger diameter wheels, and the car number moved forward to allow more signage space on the quarterpanels.

The first race was the Busch Light Clash at the Los Angeles Coliseum, previously home to the Los Angelese Rams, Los Angeles Raiders, two Olympics, and a World Series back in the late 50s.  Now it essentially has no tenants and sits dormant.  But they put in a 1/4 mile asphalt oval in the stadium over a period of three months, used it this past weekend, and plan on removing it this week and restoring the football field.  The Clash has always been a non-points gimmick race for pole winners from the previous year.  Traditionally the first race of the year, commencing as a 20 lap sprint race back in the early 80s at Daytona for $$$ and a trophy to kickoff Speed Weeks.  It has morphed into various formats.  This year, moved to a one off track, heat races, last chance races, and a feature race, much like speedways.

A 10 minute highlight reel:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKfplKTUXA
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

meha

they certainly got good ratings in the US, so I would say that a few people watched it.

I only watched the highlights and the track certainly gave off the short track vibes.

It will be interesting if the new cars produce good pack racing on the high banks of Florida. 

LG

Being an  old speedway bloke, I love the short tracks!

mikeamerica84

International Speedway Corporation (NASCAR) purchased California Speedway years ago from Roger Penske.  A two mile power track and essentially a clone of Michigan International Speedway.  The problem is, since then, NASCAR has faded and attendance there was dismal.  The track is in Fontana, near the LA market.  Plans have been in place to tear it up and rebuild it as a half mile track (for the 2023 season).  Many are claiming this LA Coliseum clash race was a litmus test to see how that might work.  We'll see what happens as the world turns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Club_Speedway

madbugger

Quote from: LG on February 09, 2022, 05:41:09 PM

But not that short, surely?
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

LG

Quote from: madbugger on February 10, 2022, 07:44:03 AM

I reckon it's actually harder to drive on a short track.

madbugger

Quote from: LG on February 11, 2022, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: madbugger on February 10, 2022, 07:44:03 AM

I reckon it's actually harder to drive on a short track.

I don't doubt that, but it just becomes a follow the leader, with what looks like the only way to pass is push the car in front out of they way. I would much rather watch 500km of high speed on a 2 mile track. ( which is probably much the same just at a much higher speed😁😁)
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

CP

The Clash wasn't as chaotic or boring as some people suggested it would be.

I thought it was quite good to watch and the new cars look great in action.

As for the centrelock nuts, some of the rusted ons were very up in arms over that, thinking it'll ruin the magic of pit stops. Trust me it won't. You can still **** that up and ruin a pit stop. It's happened in Supercars many, many times.

mikeamerica84

Back in the 80s, NASCAR raced eight times per season on 1/2 mile tracks.  That is about 1/4 of their calendar.  The cars then seemed to be less balanced in quality and sometimes drivers won by more than a lap.  When bumping cars out of the way occurred it was generally the lead cars bumping the cars to be lapped.  If a driver bumped another contender out of the way for the win, then paybacks at the next race, or somewhere down the line, would occur.

I always felt if you wish to push someone out of the way for the win, that is fine, but do not do it on the last lap.  Give the guy a chance to get back up to your boot and repay you.

Now the cars are so similar, and with the wave around and stage racing, it is all jam packed together.  The pushing and shoving has gone was past the tipping point for me.  Certain fans like that but I prefer the drivers showing a little respect for each other.

Sonic

never liked the "bump to pass"

if you can't get by cleanly you don't deserve the spot.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

V8SuperRiley

I don't mind a bump to pass, but expect it back.

I'm not a fan of intentionally wrecking the other bloke though, that's when it gets a bit out of control.

So far the racing has been good. 3 different tracks (Including LA) and 3 good races.

mikeamerica84

NASCAR Confirms Cup Series Street Race in Chicago for 2023
By Kelly Crandall | July 19, 2022 3:30 PM ET

NASCAR Cup Series cars will roar through the streets of Chicago in early July 2023.

NASCAR officials and the city joined together on Tuesday afternoon to announce the deal to bring stock cars to the country's third-largest television market. The launch was held at the NBC Tower/Cityfront Plaza, where the cars of Ross Chastain (Chevrolet), Chase Briscoe (Ford), and Bubba Wallace (Toyota) were prominently displayed for those passing through.

July 1-2 is the date for what's being called NASCAR Chicago Street Race Weekend.

"Like the Busch Light Clash at the Coliseum, we seized an incredible opportunity to add an unprecedented element to our schedule and take center stage in the heart of another major metropolitan market," said Ben Kennedy, NASCAR senior vice president of racing development and strategy. "This is the ideal setting for the first-ever NASCAR Cup Series street race. The NASCAR Cup Series Next Gen cars and the IMSA machines will race along the shores of Lake Michigan in downtown Chicago, marking a truly historic moment for our sport.

"We are very appreciative of Mayor Lightfoot and her team, along with the entire City of Chicago for working with us to make this concept a reality."

The Cup Series race (Sunday, July 2) will be preceded by an IMSA-sanctioned race Saturday, July 1. It was not announced which IMSA series would be participating. Music and entertainment options will also be featured during the weekend.

In attendance for Tuesday's announcement were Ben Kennedy, Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot and Wallace.

"Chicago's streets are as iconic as our skyline and our reputation as a world-class sports city is indisputable," said Lightfoot. "I am thrilled to welcome our partners at NASCAR to Chicago for an event that will attract thousands of people to our city. Chicago's world-class entertainment and hospitality industries, coupled with our city's history as a conduit for sports talent, make us the perfect hosts for this unique event."

A temporary 12-turn course 2.2 miles long will be erected in downtown Chicago. The start/finish line and pit road will be on South Columbus Drive in front of Buckingham Fountain. Other notable areas the course will run through include Grant Park and the northern edge of Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears.

The course mirrors what NASCAR and iRacing partnered to run for a virtual eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series event in June 2021.

"Welcoming yet another NASCAR event to Illinois just weeks after the inaugural Enjoy Illinois 300 Cup Series race (at Gateway) is a testament to the strength of our tourism industry from Chicago to Metro East," said Governor JB Pritzker. "Illinois, with its longstanding tradition of innovation, is a fitting host for NASCAR's first-ever street race, and we are thrilled to welcome this new series to America's most iconic drive next summer."

NASCAR has not had a presence in the area since last competing at Chicagoland Speedway in 2019. But Chicagoland is based in Joliet, Illinois, which is approximately 50 miles from downtown.

The Chicago street course is slated to replace Road America on the Cup Series schedule, an event that was held on the same race weekend the last two years. NASCAR is expected to release the full 2023 schedule early next month.

https://racer.com/2022/07/19/nascar-confirms-cup-series-street-race-in-chicago-for-2023/

stevo qld

Had this happened with NASCAR of a few years ago, I would have been surprised.

The latest version must be more nimble.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

LG

Quote from: stevo qld on July 20, 2022, 11:45:32 PM
Had this happened with NASCAR of a few years ago, I would have been surprised.

The latest version must be more nimble.

Still a pretty tight circuit.

Probably lots of damage early on.  :)

Sonic

Took a long time to catch on over there for sure... we had Nascar on the Gold Coast street races a lifetime ago!
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!