News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

ATCC Videos/Film/DVD 1972

Started by stevo qld, February 10, 2022, 10:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Does anyone know if there is a vendor of video of historic ATCC races?

I am particularly interested in 1972 and the Surfers Paradise Round.

I have some photos taken at the track and a Sunday Newspaper report and photo of my car, but the video would be interesting, if only because Bob Jane started last and was in the first corner about sixth in a 40+ car field. following an paddock agreement with midfield drivers and a selfish stance by Alan Moffat at the drivers briefing with Clerk of Course Ken West, where I had a heated discussion with both, I was backed by most of the drivers.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Kytabu

Have you checked with Aaron Noonan and the V8 Sleuth team? It is possible that no video of that round exists. The only video I can recall seeing from the 1972 ATCC are small clips from the Geoghegan-Moffat race at Bathurst.

Why did Jane start from last?
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

stevo qld

Bob had car troubles and did not set a practice time.

CAMS, at that time, allowed a driver to be moved up the grid by getting the permission of each driver in front, until they got a NO.
This rule was used in an earlier race meeting to allow John Harvey up the grid.

Allan Moffat strenuously argued against this, even though 30 plus drivers wanted it done.

Bob was driving his Camaro and the last thing the local drivers wanted was Bob passing in the first sweeping corner under the bridge.

We discussed it and suggested that Bob grid up on the right side. On the start, we moved slightly to the left until Bob was through.

One of the Stewards, the late Peter Aldridge, was sent to stand next to Bob at the second race. They could not believe the rapid progress through the field and suspected a jumped start.

PS: Bob Jane won.

Allan Moffat was credited with 10th, but only because many of the 20 plus cars that beat him in one race hadn't paid CAMS the expensive series registration fee.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Kytabu

That's interesting. The 1972 yearbook has Jane with a practice time of 1:19.1, second fastest to Moffat, and both that and the ATCC 50 Years book imply Jane started from the front. I thought him passing most of the field before turn one would have rated a mention in either of those reports.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

stevo qld

Yes interesting. Maybe Racing Car News or one of them did a more in depth report.

Moffat led the first 2 laps and I remember passing the Mustang parked on the grass on the inside of the track near Repco Hill. Allan had the bonnet up and was working on the car. He soon got it going and was so quick he unlapped himself and almost caught me before the finish line.

A driver wouldn't be allowed to work on a car that close to the track these days. They would probably call out a safety car.

I suspect that I kept the relevant issue when I gave you most of my racing mags. I still have a lot of boxes but will go through and try to find the grid sheets.

Dick J would not have been involved as his Torana was close to the front of the grid.

A point of nostalgia. Dick had an open tent, but Bob had the Camaro and Monaro sitting in the grass paddock in a roped of area. They spend far too much money on logistics these days.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stevo qld

Later though. The process may have had a touch of illegality about it. They might have had to exclude a lot of cars. Bob would have been safe.

However Allan may have protested if he knew. Tit for Tat over previous round protests.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

falcon_cobra

Quote from: stevo qld on February 11, 2022, 10:14:39 AM
Bob had car troubles and did not set a practice time.

CAMS, at that time, allowed a driver to be moved up the grid by getting the permission of each driver in front, until they got a NO.
This rule was used in an earlier race meeting to allow John Harvey up the grid.

Allan Moffat strenuously argued against this, even though 30 plus drivers wanted it done.

Bob was driving his Camaro and the last thing the local drivers wanted was Bob passing in the first sweeping corner under the bridge.

We discussed it and suggested that Bob grid up on the right side. On the start, we moved slightly to the left until Bob was through.

One of the Stewards, the late Peter Aldridge, was sent to stand next to Bob at the second race. They could not believe the rapid progress through the field and suspected a jumped start.

PS: Bob Jane won.

Allan Moffat was credited with 10th, but only because many of the 20 plus cars that beat him in one race hadn't paid CAMS the expensive series registration fee.

i guess its no worse then allowing Dick Johnson to start from 10th in a totally different car

stevo qld

Quote from: falcon_cobra on February 16, 2022, 01:25:05 PM

i guess its no worse then allowing Dick Johnson to start from 10th in a totally different car
[/quote]

More info. Do tell.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

falcon_cobra

1983 Bathurst, Crashed his car in the Top Ten Shoot out, Bought Andrew Harris' XE, Dick put his stuff in it, and was allowed the start 10th

Roadways6

Every chance the race was shown on TV, but little chance the footage is still around, someone would have dug it up by now.

Castrol and Shell sponsored films may have some footage of it, but a lot of the Shell films were destroyed in a fire 20 odd years ago

falcon_cobra

they are all available, out there, 1983 is on you tube

Roadways6

Quote from: falcon_cobra on February 17, 2022, 02:51:26 PM
they are all available, out there, 1983 is on you tube

Unlikely that the '72 ATCC round at Surfers as referenced in the opening post is though.

Earliest live coverage of an ATCC round I've seen is the 1977 round from Sandown (excluding the '76 Hang Ten that counted for both ManChamp & ATCC)

stevo qld

I have looked at all published references that I can find and Bob Jane clearly had the second best practice time.

Yet, Bob had to start rear of grid. Maybe he had a penalty or scrutineering mishap.

There was an extensive discussion about this at the drivers briefing conducted by Clerk of Course Ken West. I, and others, had a spirited discussion with Moffat, who was against Bob being allowed to move up the grid and argued against it, even though it was allowed under CAMS regulations at that time as each driver agreed to cede their spot.

We (most of the local non-registered drivers) were pretty pissed off that that Camaro was starting on our tail and thought it dangerous. We didn't want to impede the ATCC racing. It was arranged to move to the left of the grid until the Camaro went passed, which was pretty soon. All those who agreed were passed well before the first corner.

There were two races that day with the same field, 40 plus cars including a lot of Series Production cars to fill the grid.

After the procedure was applied in the first race, the Stewards could not believe he wasn't pinged for a jump start by the Judge of Fact and sent one of their number, the late Peter Aldridge, to stand beside Bob's car. which was positioned to the right, almost against the pit wall. Peter said he was impressed by the acceleration of the Camaro.

Well, I suppose I will just have to be satisfied that my car, cutting a corner and kicking up dust, was featured in the Sunday Brisbane press and not one of the Big Guns.  ;D

Maybe I will eventually find the practice and race sheets provided to all drivers as i pack and sort on the way to the old fart's retirement village.  ;D
ALBERT EINSTEIN