News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

S5000, will it leave Australia

Started by stevo qld, June 03, 2022, 10:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

It seems to me that S5000 only continues with a considerable financial support from Barry Rogers and GRM.

Will Motorsport Australia continue to award the Gold Star to races with less than 10 starters?

After the poor numerical showing at the last round, we now have the news that the season is to be cut short, although a reason has been given.

QuoteThe mid-year break after Darwin will allow for teams to plan ahead for both the Tasman Series and the 2023 S5000 Australian Drivers' Championship, which is in the early stages of calendar planning.
https://autoaction.com.au/2022/06/02/s5000-championship-to-end-in-darwin

GRM directly support three cars (out of 8 ) and, I suspect, have been doing very cheap lease deals and providing support for some of the relatively inexperienced drivers and overseas "Stars".

If, as Barry Rogers suggested, there is a possibility of selling the entire fleet of cars (17 or 18) and spares plus intellectual property to an overseas promoter, then poor utilisation of the cars and poor financial returns may result in a sale soon. One report suggested that an American Promoter is interested in buying.

I would suspect that GRM would keep one car back for their private museum.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Would hope not but, as you noted, the poor uptake has been very disappointing for a class that has so much potential.

Perhaps Aussies are just not interested in the big open wheelers anymore? (And ignore the failure that was F4)

The FFords and FVees (in Vic at least) still have good grids every meeting so it's not as simple as saying it's an open wheeler thing.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

I'd say Covid stunted any potential uptake it was making.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

meha

Just out of interest what are the costs of running a S5000 car?

Trevor

Australia is just 'into' open wheel categories, there have been peaks and troughs in support
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

Quote from: skaifeman on September 20, 2023, 09:42:23 AMS5000 facing it's old rival again:
https://autoaction.com.au/2023/09/19/motorsport-australia-backs-shock-formula-4-return

nope.

seems many are jumping to conclusions? but this is an international F4 championship that is coming to Oz to run on 2 circuits (if the info in the article is correct (and it's the same article I read yesterday))

this F4 has nothing to do with the mismanagement by CAMS that brought the first version to our shores and has zero to do with Australian motorsport.

stevo qld

But: The idea of a travelling circus of cars to be run/assisted by local teams could well be the way to go for S5000.

I cannot see how fields of approx. 10 cars, at least half of which are supported by the series owners can be viable in Australia.

When we also take into account the sometime low entries in TCR, it must be a strain on the Rodgers family coffers.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on September 20, 2023, 11:57:21 AMBut: The idea of a travelling circus of cars to be run/assisted by local teams could well be the way to go for S5000.

I cannot see how fields of approx. 10 cars, at least half of which are supported by the series owners can be viable in Australia.

When we also take into account the sometime low entries in TCR, it must be a strain on the Rodgers family coffers.

As I read it the cars will be from overseas. Perhaps some local engineers put to work in assisting on race weekends?

Do agree that the very low levels of MANY categories of late has to be raising questions. Personally I think if you can't raise 20 season competitors then you don't get a national series status... and if you are the 'main event' then you should have 30.

The multiple years of 10ish cars in so many categories does make you question why they bother... and also it makes you understand why the fans say 'why bother' even when it is cars that have potential to put on a good show. I love the S5000 category. I enjoy the TCRs. TCMs put on a good show. None of them have been worth the price of entry by paying public when you total up the entries for those 3 categories and get a combined number under 40 cars. :(

So if someone from overseas can see the potential and buy the S5000 category from the Rogers clan and make it into something more than it is then I am all for it even if we don't get to see it here again.

stevo qld

I find it interesting that Nathan Herne says that there is an S5000 running in America.

Quote"There is one S5000 car that has followed me around here in America, racing on the same weekends as I have been in the TA2 Series, and every time you see and hear the thing go around, you remember just how cool of a car they are.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/17/nathan-herne-back-for-s5000-at-vailo-adelaide-500/
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stevo qld

QuoteThe Prestigious Tasman Cup

S5000 can field only 11 cars and the majority are from just two teams.

Can the class continue to contest the Gold Star Series?

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/ex-f1-driver-18-year-old-in-for-adelaide-s5000/

ALBERT EINSTEIN