News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

SMP Opening Round (spoliers)

Started by Kytabu, March 01, 2022, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytabu

Three days until opening practice for the 2022 season.

With the rain set to continue all of this week and into next week, how much racing will we actually see this weekend?
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

kennymiesta

It's about time that Dunlop & Supercars develop a proper Wet Weather tyre. I understand it is about costs, but how much value for money does the Sponsors & the punters get to watch 3 laps of Safety Car running, followed by A red flag for an hour. Kids at 8 get thrown in a Go-Kart in monsoon weather and go fine, but the best drivers in the country can't handle a little bit of standing water? If you overstep the mark in the dry, you go off. It is the same in the wet, only you have to judge where the mark is.

Some may not agree, but I think it is embarrassing that we can't handle a race that is a little wet. I get when you have a freak downpour which totally soaks the track, but it seems to be less and less rain that causes a Red flag these days.

Sonic

Have been paying a little attention to the flooding news as it affects my M-F job... will be interesting to see if anyone races or they just can the weekend...

Or maybe give the support categories some extra laps as they will get out and still race.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

TheArrow

Been wanting to go this weekend but with the forecast, it's not looking good. Don't want to drive an hour and a half, pay for a ticket and then not get any racing in.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

stevo qld

QuoteBoM warns Sydney could be next to flood, people in city's north-west told to 'prepare now'

Sydney residents have been urged to brace for flooding over the coming days with NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet saying "the worst is yet to come".

Key points:
The BoM says some areas could record up to 200 millimetres of rain in a six-hour period.
Emergency Services Minister Steph Cooke says Sydney needs to prepare now for floods
The rain is expected to travel further south past Sydney by the end of the week
A severe weather warning is in place for heavy rain and high winds along the NSW coast from Newcastle to Bega, which could cause widespread damage and flooding.

The State Emergency Service says heavy to torrential rain is expected to hit Sydney, the Illawarra and the South Coast as an east coast low moves towards the state.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said the severe weather was likely to begin this evening, and some areas could record up to 200 millimetres of rain in a six-hour period.

It is expected to bring minor to major flooding to the Nepean and Hawkesbury rivers, affecting parts of Sydney's west and north west.

Dangerous flooding is also predicted along the Cooks River in Sydney's inner and south-west, while local flooding is expected on the Parramatta River and in the city's north and south.

Minor to major flooding is predicted for the Georges and Woronora rivers, which could affected areas including the Sutherland Shire and western suburbs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-01/bom-warns-sydney-could-be-next-to-flood/100871070

Isn't the Sydney track to the North-West of Sydney?
The only tracks I have been to are Amaroo, Oran Park, Warwick Farm and Castlereigh. I don't know this one.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

SetonFan

The track isn't in danger of the Hawkesbury / Nepean catchment so don't think it would ever flood - but as Frosty said last year, it was built near a reservoir so it's likely to get heavy rain if there's any in the area.

Alan59

The track is nowhere near the potential flood areas.Park and View might turn into Park And Sink though.I am 20k from the track and it has been raining for a week.The ground is saturated.The next 2 days are supposed to have torrential rain.By Friday most of the rain will be gone but the run off will be a quagmire.Record number of red flags in practice and qualifying a certainty.

stevo qld

That is good to hear. We might get some TV this weekend.

200mm is not much anyway when compared to the 600 to 750mm in a 24 hour period further North.

I hope it goes well and Paul Morris manages to get his truck out of Norwell.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

SetonFan

The Sunday race last year was cancelled even though that day only had about 10-15mm of rain. At the time they were probably over-cautious with the teams stuck in NSW just before Bathurst, so will be interesting to see the approach this year. Could be a baptism of fire for James Taylor.

Jetpac013

Quote from: stevo qld on March 01, 2022, 07:39:02 PM
QuoteBoM warns Sydney could be next to flood, people in city's north-west told to 'prepare now'

Sydney residents have been urged to brace for flooding over the coming days with NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet saying "the worst is yet to come".

Key points:
The BoM says some areas could record up to 200 millimetres of rain in a six-hour period.
Emergency Services Minister Steph Cooke says Sydney needs to prepare now for floods
The rain is expected to travel further south past Sydney by the end of the week
A severe weather warning is in place for heavy rain and high winds along the NSW coast from Newcastle to Bega, which could cause widespread damage and flooding.

The State Emergency Service says heavy to torrential rain is expected to hit Sydney, the Illawarra and the South Coast as an east coast low moves towards the state.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said the severe weather was likely to begin this evening, and some areas could record up to 200 millimetres of rain in a six-hour period.

It is expected to bring minor to major flooding to the Nepean and Hawkesbury rivers, affecting parts of Sydney's west and north west.

Dangerous flooding is also predicted along the Cooks River in Sydney's inner and south-west, while local flooding is expected on the Parramatta River and in the city's north and south.

Minor to major flooding is predicted for the Georges and Woronora rivers, which could affected areas including the Sutherland Shire and western suburbs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-01/bom-warns-sydney-could-be-next-to-flood/100871070

Isn't the Sydney track to the North-West of Sydney?
The only tracks I have been to are Amaroo, Oran Park, Warwick Farm and Castlereigh. I don't know this one.

SMP is more Western Sydney than North-West.

At this point in time its constantly raining with the odd down pour.... but time will tell to see what the weather will do.

Roadways6

Presumably they will cancel the weekend to save the cars for Bathurst, won't they?

Alan59

Park and View has been binned.Only parking at drag strip open.
And by the way it is impossible to race at night in the rain at SMP because of the combination of spray and lights means you are driving blind.

Mechz

Quote from: Alan59 on March 02, 2022, 07:39:22 PM
Park and View has been binned.Only parking at drag strip open.
And by the way it is impossible to race at night in the rain at SMP because of the combination of spray and lights means you are driving blind.

It will be spectacular to watch them trundle around behind the safety car before red flagging it though  ::)

Kytabu

"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Alan59

Quote from: Kytabu on March 02, 2022, 08:18:57 PM
They raced in the rain at night last year.

https://youtu.be/4ZIWLobq7jg
Red flag when the rain made it past light showers.