News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

TCM 2022 season.

Started by stevo qld, March 06, 2022, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Rumour has it that there were 4 TCM races at Sydney this weekend.

Does anyone know if 7 has plans to broadcast them?

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

Quote from: stevo qld on March 06, 2022, 06:33:50 PM

rumour is wrong.  there were only 3, and I think the last one was cut short (how unusual)😡😡

I thought the numpties that now own supercars would have realised a lot of people come to the event to watch TCM before anything else, yet they continue to get screwed over whenever any other class runs over time and then TCM gets cut short
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Sonic

Quote from: madbugger on March 06, 2022, 07:32:35 PM

rumour is wrong.  there were only 3, and I think the last one was cut short (how unusual)😡😡

I thought the numpties that now own supercars would have realised a lot of people come to the event to watch TCM before anything else, yet they continue to get screwed over whenever any other class runs over time and then TCM gets cut short

having seen a pic of the track in the morning you can't blame SC in this instance for them missing out on a race.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

madbugger

Quote from: Sonic on March 06, 2022, 08:29:28 PM

having seen a pic of the track in the morning you can't blame SC in this instance for them missing out on a race.

why is it though, that TCM always seem to bear the brunt of the race cancellations or shortened races, when they are consistently voted the most popular support category?
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: madbugger on March 07, 2022, 06:02:56 AM
Quote from: Sonic on March 06, 2022, 08:29:28 PM

why is it though, that TCM always seem to bear the brunt of the race cancellations or shortened races, when they are consistently voted the most popular support category?

Because they are further down the ladder in terms of importance. Supercar and Super 2/3 come first.

REM

Anybody go to SMP today? I was keen till Stevie and Marcus pulled out and no XD's! Great to see Tilley get a win!!

Kytabu

Quote from: REM on May 29, 2022, 06:06:04 PM
Anybody go to SMP today? I was keen till Stevie and Marcus pulled out and no XD's! Great to see Tilley get a win!!
I was there. Awesome to see the Pacer get up.

I wonder when age will start slowing down JB ;D.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

madbugger

Quote from: Kytabu on May 29, 2022, 07:29:15 PM
Quote from: REM on May 29, 2022, 06:06:04 PM
I was there. Awesome to see the Pacer get up.

I wonder when age will start slowing down JB ;D.

I reckon JB will still be winning races 6 months after they plant him.  ;D ;D ;D

Zac

What a bummer! One of the most popular cars (and its driver), the Valiant Pacer of Cam Tilley an innocent victim, cleaned up by Almond's brakeless Camaro. The Pacer was the only non-GM product anywhere amongst it at Townsville in a field of Toranas and Camaros. (I think there was a lonely Mustang somewhere in there. Where are the Fords?)

The damage probably looks worse than it hopefully turns out to be.  :-\ 

Sonic

Quote from: Zac on July 10, 2022, 11:05:25 AM
What a bummer! One of the most popular cars (and its driver), the Valiant Pacer of Cam Tilley an innocent victim, cleaned up by Almond's brakeless Camaro. The Pacer was the only non-GM product anywhere amongst it at Townsville in a field of Toranas and Camaros. (I think there was a lonely Mustang somewhere in there. Where are the Fords?)

The damage probably looks worse than it hopefully turns out to be.  :-\

that was a big owie :'( I didn't see pics after it was removed from the wall (been working at Winton all weekend) but the video I did see of it sliding backwards to that final destination it didn't look good
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

LG

It's funny hey, I don't really care when a 'modern supercar' gets damaged in a race but I hate seeing these old ones get damaged, particularly when it's a big one.

skaifeman

Quote from: LG on July 10, 2022, 08:19:28 PM
It's funny hey, I don't really care when a 'modern supercar' gets damaged in a race but I hate seeing these old ones get damaged, particularly when it's a big one.

Having inspected a few pretty heavily, the majority of body parts are fibreglass, perspex windows etc.
But yes, the cringe is bigger when these go in :-\.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

LG

It certainly was a big hit.
Not a small job to fix it either.

stevo qld

QuoteGulf Western Oils Touring Car Masters organisers are believed to be looking into how to potentially slow vehicles at this November's Bathurst round due to concerns about tyre safety.

Speedcafe.com understands that the issue relates to the speed rating of the series' Hoosier tyres, which is below the top speed achieved by some cars in the competition.

Seven different sizes of DOT radial tyres are allowed, all of which have a speed rating of W, which corresponds to a maximum safe speed of 270km/h.

That is significantly lower than what some vehicles have been achieving by the end of Mount Panorama's Conrod Straight, with Supercars-like figures of even 290km/h known to be clocked before sweeping into The Chase.

The situation raises an obvious concern about the ability of the tyres to cope with those speeds, with some Speedcafe.com sources suggesting there would be the potential for legal consequences if something did go wrong.

Worth noting also is that, while TCM vehicles must be fitted with a roll cage, whether they are as effective as those of a Supercar, for example, is questionable.

What is not questionable is that they were not designed with a particularly high focus on aerodynamics, and hence are less stable than a Supercar.

TCM has now come a long, looong way from its concept, which was to make the historic cars more reliable and safer by using modern brakes, as one example.

Gradually, original parts supply problems have resulted in multiple composite body panels plus, plus.

The engines in these cars are more powerful than cars like DJR;s XD (says Dick).

The result seems to be that cars might be safer, but freedoms in parts and engines have surpassed even these safety and cost cutting rule changes. many competitors who have these cars sitting in sheds cannot afford to run them in a series. e.g. The Johnson Family XD, Tru Blu 3.

Surely, an electronic control, like Motec, could restrict the engines to lower revs and power, which would improve safety and probably cut running costs.

Alternatively, they can continue on their merry way to have rather expensive Historic bodies Sports Sedans. If so, they should have upgraded safety cages and tyres.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/09/02/bathurst-tyre-safety-concern-for-tcm/

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN