News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

The State of Drag Racing in Australia

Started by falcon_cobra, March 16, 2022, 06:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falcon_cobra

Its in a very sad way, with the conflict between IHRA and ANDRA. Only 2 Important Tracks are affiliated with the IHRA, WillowBank and SMP. there are a few State tracks as well.
SMP wanted to Leave the IHRA but it went to court, so now the Top Fuel Championship won't run at either SMP or WillowBank. the Australian Top Doorslammer and Top Bike Championhip is being run at the Perth Motorplex,
the Winter Nationals, what used to be the biggest Drag racing event outside the USA, is getting smaller because the teams that are aligned with ANDRA will not be Competing.

they need to sort out their differences and bring back a united Drag Racing series

Trevor

There has been some big money spent at Heathcote in regional Victoria recently, they have the Top Fuellers there soon
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

Jetpac013

Quote from: falcon_cobra on March 16, 2022, 06:32:41 PM
Its in a very sad way, with the conflict between IHRA and ANDRA. Only 2 Important Tracks are affiliated with the IHRA, WillowBank and SMP. there are a few State tracks as well.
SMP wanted to Leave the IHRA but it went to court, so now the Top Fuel Championship won't run at either SMP or WillowBank. the Australian Top Doorslammer and Top Bike Championhip is being run at the Perth Motorplex,
the Winter Nationals, what used to be the biggest Drag racing event outside the USA, is getting smaller because the teams that are aligned with ANDRA will not be Competing.

they need to sort out their differences and bring back a united Brag Racing series

it is A LOT more complicated than that.

Sydney Dragway had a wreckless chairman of the board leading the track, and basically with no consultation with the rest of the board members and no real reason as to why they had to change, went and signed a new sanctioning deal with ANDRA with 2 years or so left on the IHRA sanctioning deal.

The breach of contract of IHRA sanctioning is what lead to IHRA taking SD to court. A few board members left in protest as the chairman didn't follow the right process in put the sanctioning contract out to tender etc.

So ANDRA were in which meant a lot of people (me included) had to re tech their cars under ANDRA which mean having to modify cars to comply with the ANDRA tech rules etc as they are different to IHRA.

The board pretty much sacked the chairman who put all of this mess in motion in November last year and appointed a new chairman who settled with IHRA out of court because SD has no money... they are broke. (2 years of lockdowns will do that)

Now what I believe is that one particular top fuel team owner hates IHRA sanctioning and prefers ANDRA for what ever reason, and was pushing this change in the background as he basically refuses to run his top fuel cars at SD because of IHRA... It's too many egos with to much pull wrecking it for people who just want to go and race their cars and couldn't give 2 ****s about top fuel.... as impressive as they are.

Trevor

all this ANDRA & IHRA has overtones of CAMS & AASA for circuit racers a few years ago, it was ugly until many realised AASA wasn't too bad, but CAMS is till hurting over it

Not sure if is still the case but Supercars events run under CAMS but some testing is done under AASA

PHARK IT!!!!!

falcon_cobra

and Much the same as World Series Cricket and Super League, to much money involved and always ending up going back to the way it was

falcon_cobra

Quote from: Jetpac-013 on March 17, 2022, 01:26:44 PM

they need to sort out their differences and bring back a united Brag Racing series

Sydney Dragway had a wreckless chairman of the board leading the track, and basically with no consultation with the rest of the board members and no real reason as to why they had to change, went and signed a new sanctioning deal with ANDRA with 2 years or so left on the IHRA sanctioning deal.

The breach of contract of IHRA sanctioning is what lead to IHRA taking SD to court. A few board members left in protest as the chairman didn't follow the right process in put the sanctioning contract out to tender etc.

So ANDRA were in which meant a lot of people (me included) had to re tech their cars under ANDRA which mean having to modify cars to comply with the ANDRA tech rules etc as they are different to IHRA.

The board pretty much sacked the chairman who put all of this mess in motion in November last year and appointed a new chairman who settled with IHRA out of court because SD has no money... they are broke. (2 years of lockdowns will do that)

Now what I believe is that one particular top fuel team owner hates IHRA sanctioning and prefers ANDRA for what ever reason, and was pushing this change in the background as he basically refuses to run his top fuel cars at SD because of IHRA... It's too many egos with to much pull wrecking it for people who just want to go and race their cars and couldn't give 2 ****s about top fuel.... as impressive as they are.

i Understand a lot of the background, Did you build your car Under the IHRA rules, or did you rebuild?

Jetpac013

Quote from: falcon_cobra on March 17, 2022, 07:38:28 PM
Quote from: Jetpac-013 on March 17, 2022, 01:26:44 PM

i Understand a lot of the background, Did you build your car Under the IHRA rules, or did you rebuild?

My roll cage is built to IHRA rules which allow removable door bars, ANDRA deem removable door bars as a "removable roll cage"... so not only did i need to get the car re tech inspected, but i had to fill all this other paper work out and get my roll cage guy to fill out the material used, thickness etc etc which was a pain....

Lucky for me the track moved back to IHRA in the middle of me doing all this, so therefore i didn't have to deal with ANDRA any more.

I do know of guys having to get roll cages and stuff re done due to different rules and how the ANDRA tech guy felt on the day..... only for the track to go back to IHRA and then guys had to revert cars back.

It was a unnecessary exercise and to add, IHRA fees are much cheaper than ANDRA also. ;)

Trevor

I went to the top fuellers at Heathcote back in May, only 6 top fuellers there, but apparently that is all there is which is a bit sad.  The had a great support card and for the bogans they had burnout comps going on in the middle of the old speedway circle

Traffic was chaos, I think they were expecting about 10,000 but double that showed up.  For those that don't know Heathcote is VERY rural, nothing for miles around, near Bendigo.  Care park was full, road out the front was full, side roads were full

They are spending more money there, putting more bitumen down in the pits

The top fuellers are again the weekend before Bathurst, so October 1 & 2 - which coincides with the other great bogan event, the Deniliquin Ute Muster  ;D

PHARK IT!!!!!

stevo qld

The IHRA is splitting up. Parts were sold in USA, Aus and NZ to different new owners. I wonder what effect this will have here in Aus?

https://dragnews.com.au/ihra-australia-sold/

QuoteFollowing the recent sale of the IHRA in the U.S.A from IRG Sports + Entertainment (IRGSE) to race car fabricator Larry Jeffers, the Australian and New Zealand arm of the sanctioning body has been purchased locally by Australian Drag Racing League, owned by current IHRA Manager Director Maurice Allen.

This will bring IHRA Australia into Australian ownership, you can read the statement on the sale here: https://www.ihra.com/component/k2/item/2815-australian-drag-racing-league-purchases-ihra-australia

QuoteWEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – ADRL Pty Ltd has completed a purchase of the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) Australia from IRG Sports + Entertainment (IRGSE). Maurice Allen, a veteran motorsports professional, is the president of the Australian Drag Racing League.

Allen previously served as managing director for IHRA Australia. He brings a wealth of experience to Australia's No. 1 drag racing organization, which serves as home to both professional and sportsman racing. Under Allen's leadership, IHRA Australia expanded to over 3,500 members.

"We've listened and the desire to have an Australian sanctioning body has been delivered, which represents a great opportunity for the sport to move ahead and grow even more with exciting new opportunities," Allen said.

Allen began his motorsports career as a Pro Stock motorcycle racer at the age of 20 and later set up the Australia Dragbike School. Prior to joining the IHRA, Allen was the CEO of Australian Professional Drag Racing (APDR) — 400 Thunder, Australia's premier drag racing series sanctioned by the IHRA.

"This announcement puts drag racing in Australia in a great position to bring direct returns to the biggest stakeholders in the sport, being the passionate racers that support both the tracks and the sanctioning body," Allen said. "We are excited to be able to implement some direct benefits such as replacing the Australian Supplementary Rulebook app with a dedicated downloadable rulebook on the web, which is currently under construction, simplifying the process, along with a brand new hard card for all competitors moving forward."

IHRA Australia operates at seven different facilities and sanctions the country's largest drag racing events and series, which include the Aeroflow 400 Thunder Professional and Sportsman Championship Series as well as the Australian Top Fuel Championship.

While IHRA Australia operates other professional classes, it is also the country's top organization for grassroots, Sportsman racing. For IRGSE, it was important to find someone with both the knowledge and the commitment to carry on the country's great tradition of drag racing.

"Maurice has done a phenomenal job over his seven years as the IHRA Australia managing director. With his hands-on approach and vast knowledge of the Australian drag racing scene, he is the most qualified person to take over the ownership of the organization and continue the proud tradition of championship racing," IRGSE CEO Lou Partenza said.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Trevor

I remember when they kicked off, they were seen as a great alternative to ANDRA, but it looks like this will not come to pass

PHARK IT!!!!!

Jetpac013

Quote from: stevo qld on August 18, 2022, 11:10:26 AM
The IHRA is splitting up. Parts were sold in USA, Aus and NZ to different new owners. I wonder what effect this will have here in Aus?

https://dragnews.com.au/ihra-australia-sold/

QuoteFollowing the recent sale of the IHRA in the U.S.A from IRG Sports + Entertainment (IRGSE) to race car fabricator Larry Jeffers, the Australian and New Zealand arm of the sanctioning body has been purchased locally by Australian Drag Racing League, owned by current IHRA Manager Director Maurice Allen.

This will bring IHRA Australia into Australian ownership, you can read the statement on the sale here: https://www.ihra.com/component/k2/item/2815-australian-drag-racing-league-purchases-ihra-australia

QuoteWEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – ADRL Pty Ltd has completed a purchase of the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) Australia from IRG Sports + Entertainment (IRGSE). Maurice Allen, a veteran motorsports professional, is the president of the Australian Drag Racing League.

Allen previously served as managing director for IHRA Australia. He brings a wealth of experience to Australia's No. 1 drag racing organization, which serves as home to both professional and sportsman racing. Under Allen's leadership, IHRA Australia expanded to over 3,500 members.

"We've listened and the desire to have an Australian sanctioning body has been delivered, which represents a great opportunity for the sport to move ahead and grow even more with exciting new opportunities," Allen said.

Allen began his motorsports career as a Pro Stock motorcycle racer at the age of 20 and later set up the Australia Dragbike School. Prior to joining the IHRA, Allen was the CEO of Australian Professional Drag Racing (APDR) — 400 Thunder, Australia's premier drag racing series sanctioned by the IHRA.

"This announcement puts drag racing in Australia in a great position to bring direct returns to the biggest stakeholders in the sport, being the passionate racers that support both the tracks and the sanctioning body," Allen said. "We are excited to be able to implement some direct benefits such as replacing the Australian Supplementary Rulebook app with a dedicated downloadable rulebook on the web, which is currently under construction, simplifying the process, along with a brand new hard card for all competitors moving forward."

IHRA Australia operates at seven different facilities and sanctions the country's largest drag racing events and series, which include the Aeroflow 400 Thunder Professional and Sportsman Championship Series as well as the Australian Top Fuel Championship.

While IHRA Australia operates other professional classes, it is also the country's top organization for grassroots, Sportsman racing. For IRGSE, it was important to find someone with both the knowledge and the commitment to carry on the country's great tradition of drag racing.

"Maurice has done a phenomenal job over his seven years as the IHRA Australia managing director. With his hands-on approach and vast knowledge of the Australian drag racing scene, he is the most qualified person to take over the ownership of the organization and continue the proud tradition of championship racing," IRGSE CEO Lou Partenza said.

The email i got from IHRA (as i hold a IHRA lic) is that IHRA Australia is now it's own entity away from the IHRA USA.

QuoteThe day-to-day running of the business will still operate under IHRA Australia with no changes being made to the name or the logo as we have known it over the last seven years. Racers will shortly be receiving their brand new IHRA Australia hard card as their new licence.

Quote from: Trevor on August 18, 2022, 12:58:54 PM
I remember when they kicked off, they were seen as a great alternative to ANDRA, but it looks like this will not come to pass

ANDRA are an absolute PAIN IN THE ASS to deal with.... IHRA are so much better to deal with.

meha

It seems to me that the current scene of Drag racing in Australia is in rather a state of flux with a large group of self interest prevailing over those who are quietly going about their business. Frankly drag racing in my state (Tas) is basically extinct as the last track had shut down a couple of years ago, I do fear for the future of the sport long term unless things turn around soon.

Having two different sets of regs simply add huge costs for people having to make modifications or go through tech inspections for both just to be able to compete makes no sense.