News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

WAU to race Mustangs

Started by Zac, May 03, 2022, 04:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

I wonder if Tim Edwards is getting a little worried?
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

Quote from: madbugger on May 04, 2022, 10:19:55 AM
I wonder if Tim Edwards is getting a little worried?

After WAU's last weekend probably not.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Troy01505

Why would they go to Ford with such a disadvantage? Oh that's right, they are disadvantaged in any brand of car!

Ford special Vehicles mass producing performance Mustang's and Rangers would be the only reason.

skaifeman

Quote from: Troy01505 on May 04, 2022, 10:55:20 AM
Why would they go to Ford with such a disadvantage? Oh that's right, they are disadvantaged in any brand of car!

Ford special Vehicles mass producing performance Mustang's and Rangers would be the only reason.

I highly doubt they'll go into any sort of HSV style partnership. It'll be workshops with bolt-ons and re-tunes at best - basically what Tickford does.
Feeling is that if there's a road going aspect it'll likely be conversions.

We assume there's a road going side to this, but maybe Ryan has thought the Mustang business model is the better jig? Will 888 still do all body panels etc for the Camaro? Whilst the Mustang is still free reign on that stuff?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Skip

They certainly made no secret of their displeasure in having to buy goodies from 888. That was the ultimate slap on the face after losing hrt to Roland. For that reason, and the potential to modify Ford products, it's no real surprise. Still big news tho.
Where does Erebus fit in this?

stevo qld

Quote from: Skip on May 04, 2022, 11:26:24 AM
They certainly made no secret of their displeasure in having to buy goodies from 888. That was the ultimate slap on the face after losing hrt to Roland. For that reason, and the potential to modify Ford products, it's no real surprise. Still big news tho.

Erebus already build their own cars and the leased Walkinshaw engines are not eligible next year. Seems that there is not much that Erebus could even purchase from WAU. There is also the sponsorship clash.

There seems no current reason for Erebus to change and I seem to recall that they have already confirmed for Camaro.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bloopy

Quote from: stp01 on May 04, 2022, 07:56:44 AM
All the best to WAU. May their form from Perth continue into the next 5 years  ;D

That form looked so bad it's difficult to imagine they could repeat it. I also wonder how well Courtney would've done in the championship if they'd switched to Ford when he joined. His 10th place in 2011 is an all-time ATCC record for worst attempt at backing up a championship win from what I can see! Maybe they should've switched much earlier. ;D

Skip

Quote from: stevo qld on May 04, 2022, 12:59:45 PM
Quote from: Skip on May 04, 2022, 11:26:24 AM

Erebus already build their own cars and the leased Walkinshaw engines are not eligible next year. Seems that there is not much that Erebus could even purchase from WAU. There is also the sponsorship clash.

There seems no current reason for Erebus to change and I seem to recall that they have already confirmed for Camaro.

Thanks for clarifying Stevo. I thought it might have been a closer tie. Dang it, thought we were going to offload Barry Ryan for a moment :)

murph_fan51

Quote from: Bloopy on May 04, 2022, 01:22:42 PM
Quote from: stp01 on May 04, 2022, 07:56:44 AM
All the best to WAU. May their form from Perth continue into the next 5 years  ;D

That form looked so bad it's difficult to imagine they could repeat it. I also wonder how well Courtney would've done in the championship if they'd switched to Ford when he joined. His 10th place in 2011 is an all-time ATCC record for worst attempt at backing up a championship win from what I can see! Maybe they should've switched much earlier. ;D
I think the v8 sleuth has just released a pod on worst title defences.

Anyway, you can take Percat and the WAU sponsorship package with you to Ford. We'll happily keep SVG and Feeny, Brown and Kostecki.
debris debris debris

TheArrow

Wonder if the tie-in with Grove for the WP group has anything to do with this.

WarrenK

Quote from: murph_fan51 on May 04, 2022, 04:58:13 PM

Anyway, you can take Percat and the WAU sponsorship package with you to Ford. We'll happily keep SVG and Feeny, Brown and Kostecki.
Maybe WAU saw an oppurtuntiy to make some money by using a vehicle that is currently available for sale in Australia and is recognisble by the Australian puplic. The Camoro(which wouldn't be recognisable by most of the Australian general public) is about to become extinct in the car world and is from a company that is is virtually exticnt in Australia.  It appears the only people who(or will be crying} are the GM fan boys who look backwards and not forward like WAU.

AlbertM

And they say the Blue Vs Red is dead.  Social media has many a red man already disowning WAU.

If the move is on. I think it's nothing more than Ford Performance offering WAU support and tapping into the Ford fan base. I'd be surprised if there is some road car deal involved.
Ford Faithful

Tickford8

If it evens the balance on the grid, good. Walkinshaw has to look after his business and clearly, and if GM want nothing to do with him, what choice does he have? Loyalty isnt paying the bills..

skaifeman

Confirmed: https://www.walkinshawandrettiunited.com.au/media/story/2930/wau-and-ford-join-forces/

It seems they were happy to take up some 'factory' support. Which would mean they must be receiving funding or discounted panels etc.

stevo qld

Quote from: skaifeman on May 06, 2022, 02:43:19 PM
Confirmed: https://www.walkinshawandrettiunited.com.au/media/story/2930/wau-and-ford-join-forces/

It seems they were happy to take up some 'factory' support. Which would mean they must be receiving funding or discounted panels etc.

looking at the big gun executives from the USA, this might just be Chapter One for WAU and the Walkies.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN