News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Is it too early to talk about Bathurst? (possible spoilers in the future)

Started by Yamarocket630, June 10, 2022, 11:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamarocket630

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on September 22, 2022, 11:25:48 AM
Quote from: Yamarocket630 on September 22, 2022, 01:44:34 AM
Well the races on speedvision back in the day were condensed...
The condensed coverage we got of Supercars circa 2004-2005 albeit QUITE condensed, gave me my first look at the Bathurst 1000.  A one hour presentation of the Great Race.  The first time they went up through Griffins Bend, then the Cutting, and across the top and down, my jaw was in my lap.  I had heard about this race in the early/mid-90s when Dick Johnson came over to the States and ran a couple of NASCAR road races in the Redcote Ford but that was it until then.  Media/internet coverage was simply not there for us.  The announcers spoke of the Bathurst 1000 and its place in Australian motorsport, and I always remembered that.

So when it comes to Bathurst, THAT condensed version from the mid 2000s was the moment this Yank became hooked on Supercars.  I have since learned more and more about it, the drivers, the cars, and the series.

Yams and I may have gotten a bit off topic with our Yank banter, but I think I just may have gotten us back between the ditches for this thread.  Let us continue on, talk about Bathurst, and possibly throw some spoliers out there.   ;D

Back into the ditch...

I grew up in the (American) south with a Nascar loving dad. I discovered V8s in about 2005 on Speedvision. I used to drive home from work on my lunch break just to watch you crazy Aussies race on TV because mid-week and mid-day was when it was broadcast here.

I would tell people " you gotta watch, those f'ers will take each other out racing for 23rd place on lap 1 of a 161 lap race".

By contrast, the Nascar equivalent of Bathurst is the Daytona 500.  For any of you who have never seen it, it was 459 miles of follow the leader and one lap of racing. At least it was that way the last time I saw it 30 years ago.

Back on topic...

Will it rain this year? Bathurst is always better in the rain.

fordman

Quote from: Yamarocket630 on September 22, 2022, 12:16:37 PM
Quote from: mikeamerica84 on September 22, 2022, 11:25:48 AM
Quote from: Yamarocket630 on September 22, 2022, 01:44:34 AM
Well the races on speedvision back in the day were condensed...
The condensed coverage we got of Supercars circa 2004-2005 albeit QUITE condensed, gave me my first look at the Bathurst 1000.  A one hour presentation of the Great Race.  The first time they went up through Griffins Bend, then the Cutting, and across the top and down, my jaw was in my lap.  I had heard about this race in the early/mid-90s when Dick Johnson came over to the States and ran a couple of NASCAR road races in the Redcote Ford but that was it until then.  Media/internet coverage was simply not there for us.  The announcers spoke of the Bathurst 1000 and its place in Australian motorsport, and I always remembered that.

So when it comes to Bathurst, THAT condensed version from the mid 2000s was the moment this Yank became hooked on Supercars.  I have since learned more and more about it, the drivers, the cars, and the series.

Yams and I may have gotten a bit off topic with our Yank banter, but I think I just may have gotten us back between the ditches for this thread.  Let us continue on, talk about Bathurst, and possibly throw some spoliers out there.   ;D

Back into the ditch...

I grew up in the (American) south with a Nascar loving dad. I discovered V8s in about 2005 on Speedvision. I used to drive home from work on my lunch break just to watch you crazy Aussies race on TV because mid-week and mid-day was when it was broadcast here.

I would tell people " you gotta watch, those f'ers will take each other out racing for 23rd place on lap 1 of a 161 lap race".

By contrast, the Nascar equivalent of Bathurst is the Daytona 500.  For any of you who have never seen it, it was 459 miles of follow the leader and one lap of racing. At least it was that way the last time I saw it 30 years ago.

Back on topic...

Will it rain this year? Bathurst is always better in the rain.

Well its raining today  ;D

long range forecast says no but bit too early to say for sure, something usually happens in the last 30 laps to spice it up

fordman

The programme is out, interesting to see Gen 3 has some decent track time every day. 8)

fordman

Quote from: fordman on September 25, 2022, 12:11:08 PM
The programme is out, interesting to see Gen 3 has some decent track time every day. 8)

Anyone know what the heritage revival touring cars are?

Kytabu

Quote from: fordman on September 25, 2022, 01:35:06 PM

The Group C and Group A class.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

fordman

Quote from: Kytabu on September 25, 2022, 03:21:47 PM
Quote from: fordman on September 25, 2022, 01:35:06 PM

The Group C and Group A class.

Cool looking forward to seeing them on the mountain

Joe5619

I hope they have the new Mustang ready in time for Bathurst.

Trevor

I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

skaifeman

Quote from: Trevor on September 26, 2022, 05:18:28 PM
Camping tickets arrived today

Still waiting for mine Trev. Managed to snag some discounted trackside tickets too - if anyone needs the code, PM me.

Can we officially change the topic name to: "It's time to talk about Bathurst"
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Trevor

Quote from: Yamarocket630 on June 10, 2022, 11:40:32 AM
Wife and I are making a second pilgrimage to OZ this year, assuming the borders dont close again and we dont die in one of 'Murica's mass shootings before then.

In 2019 we really didnt have the time to see most of what happens around the circuit on the Sat-Sun we were there.  This time we'll be at Mt Panorama Fri-Sat-Sun.

Last time we did get up to Reid and McPhillamy (SP) and over to the Chase in addition to pit straight.  Is there any good viewing areas we missed that are open to trackside ticket holders?  Is the museum worth it?  What about anything happening in Bathurst itself?

For the record, although she does not watch the races, my wife enjoys being there as much as I do or even more.
if you are still going let me know, we could meet up if you wanted
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

fordman

skaifeman

Quote from: fordman on September 29, 2022, 08:09:38 AM
Could be a wet event rain forecast for all days

Same was predicted for last year, and it sprinkled for all of 10mins. Had to cut some pants into shorts it was so hot!
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

AlbertM

Central West hasn't gone a week without a decent rain shower for the last 4 months. Everything is soaked and soggy. Dry days have been nice though.
Ford Faithful

mikeamerica84

In all of the years running, has Bathurst ever been postponed and run at a later date due to weather?
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life