News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

New Deal for Aus GP

Started by V8SuperRiley, June 16, 2022, 09:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8SuperRiley

An extension of 10 years on the current deal, and it bring f2 and f3 with it!!

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/06/16/bumper-deal-secures-f1-australian-grand-prix-future/

QuoteFormula 1 will continue racing in Australia for more than a decade to come per a new long-term deal.

F1 has this morning confirmed a 10-year renewal will take place from 2025, which was when the existing Australian Grand Prix contract was due to expire.

After two COVID-affected years, the AGP returned in style in April with more 419,000 fans rolling through the gates to witness the new-generation cars on a revamped Albert Park layout.

There were some in the paddock at the time who questioned the logistics of continuing to travel Down Under, but any fears of a departure have now been allayed.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali hailed the new deal, which runs through until almost 40 years on from the event's 1996 debut.

"I am delighted to confirm that Melbourne and the Albert Park circuit will continue to be on the Formula 1 calendar until 2035," said the Italian.

"The race has always been a favourite for the fans, drivers and the teams and Melbourne is an incredible and vibrant international city that is a perfect match for our sport.

"This year we saw huge crowds and passionate fans at the Grand Prix, and we are very excited by the future in Australia as our sport continues to grow.

Domenicali added his thanks to the Victorian government, and Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott and chairman Paul Little, for their support.

Westacott added: "This is a sensational announcement that is simply great for Melbourne and Victoria.

"It builds on our rich motorsport history as well as Melbourne's love of big sporting events and provides aspiration to the next generation of Aussie racing stars.

"We're proud of our strong relationship with Formula 1 and together we will grow the sport in Australia and the broader Asia-Pacific region.

"Everyone at the Australian Grand Prix Corporation looks forward to taking the Formula One Australian Grand Prix to new levels over the course of the next 13 years."

Victorian Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events, Martin Pakula, praised the event's value to the region.

"We know how important this event is to our economy and that's why we've delivered the longest extension for the race since it has been held in Melbourne," he said.

A date is yet to be confirmed for the 2023 Australian Grand Prix, when Formula 2 and Formula 3 will be on the grid for the first time in Albert Park history.

The AGP deal is the latest long-term deal to be struck in recent times, following the likes of Abu Dhabi (through 2030), Bahrain (2036) and Qatar (2032).

Australia boasts a rich F1 history, including being represented by two world champions: Sir Jack Brabham (thrice), and Alan Jones, and having first hosted an F1 world championship grand prix in 1985 at Adelaide.

skaifeman

Great news.
As much as I loathe the Drive to Survive series, and the fans its brought with it, hasn't it done wonders for the sport!
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

meha

And we have the GP2 and GP3 coming as well as a part of the deal. That in itself will be interesting to see how it works with the support pitlane. I cannot see Supercars getting the exclusive use of the lane like they currently have.

Sonic

Quote from: meha on June 21, 2022, 04:49:50 PM
And we have the GP2 and GP3 coming as well as a part of the deal. That in itself will be interesting to see how it works with the support pitlane. I cannot see Supercars getting the exclusive use of the lane like they currently have.

or use of it at all?
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

stevo qld

Quote from: Sonic on June 21, 2022, 04:54:44 PM

or use of it at all?

or S5000, if it returns next year
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

meha

Hmm, good point, although from looking online it appears that the GP2/3 has used the main pits and just brought in the infrastructure for the particular race. However, in thinking about it, this is typically for events that do not have a dedicated support pitlane.

Does anyone who watches more of the GP2/3 than me (typically highlights on youtube) know how it works with pitlane and those series?

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on June 21, 2022, 05:37:29 PM

or use of it at all?

While it would be cool to have a good grid of S5000s again with F2/3 there I don't know that 4 open wheel categories would work? Guessing Porsche would remain... and maybe SC.

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Sonic on June 22, 2022, 11:48:17 AM

or use of it at all?

While it would be cool to have a good grid of S5000s again with F2/3 there I don't know that 4 open wheel categories would work? Guessing Porsche would remain... and maybe SC.

Supercars will remain, and I too think Porsche would remain as well.

Sonic

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on June 25, 2022, 10:15:49 AM
Quote from: Sonic on June 22, 2022, 11:48:17 AM

or use of it at all?

Supercars will remain, and I too think Porsche would remain as well.

I imagine that would be pretty right. 2 closed wheel and 3 open wheel categories... plus maybe a Historic (at least parade) to complete the show.

Alan59

The 2 prospective dates for next year are either last weekend in March or first weekend in April.Both are in daylight saving although that would end the night before the race if they have that April date.
With daylight saving they can have 4 support classes compared to 3 if it is out of daylight saving.
So that would be F2+F3+Supercars+Carrera Cup..If for some reason they are forced to run out of daylight saving then Carrera Cup is gone.Remember also that the F2 and F3 races are longer than  the normal supports so that makes the schedule even tighter.Things like the Targa parade will probably be collateral damage.

PVDA

or the marshals will be starting each day even earlier to squeeze stuff in.

V8SuperRiley

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/07/27/f2-and-f3-have-long-term-commitment-to-australian-gp/

QuoteWith the addition of F2 and F3 from 2023, coupled with the necessity to maintain Supercars on the event bill, there will naturally be less room for domestic competitions.

It's therefore highly likely next year's event will feature Formula 1 as the headline act, supported by Supercars, Formula 2, Formula 3, and Porsche Carrera Cup Australia.