News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

The rot has started

Started by coyote302, July 21, 2022, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djr18fan

You'd think car makers would have checked if there would be enough electricity & infrastructure in the future so people can use the vehicles they want to sell. Won't car makers look stupid in 5 to 10 years when they've stopped making ice powered vehicles and no one will be buying electric because they can't charge them. We'll be able to tell them they should have checked with Facebook experts before committing billions of dollars on switching to electric.

stevo qld

I do wonder how much "Clean" electricity is actually generated in the ACT and how much "Coal" generated electricity is imported from NSW and Qld.

In the meantime, REX is looking to convert some of their existing planes to electric and batteries, but only for short haul initially.

This is behind a paywall and is too long to fully paste here.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/rex-reveals-plan-to-go-electric-in-pursuit-of-net-zero-emissions/news-story/8243824f1edb26f703e9ca63dbeb8ed2

QuoteRegional Express has teamed up with Sydney Seaplanes' subsidiary Dovetail Electric Aviation to pioneer the conversion of turbine-powered aircraft to electric.

Under the partnership, electric engines will be retrofit to legacy aircraft initially for regional and general aviation flying.

It's possible the first electric flights could be in the air as soon as 2025 over short distances.

Rex deputy chairman John Sharp said the airline was "proud and excited" to be at the forefront of developments in sustainable regional aviation, and helping with national efforts to achieve net zero emissions by 2050.

"Australia, with its very high utilisation of regional aviation and large number of aircraft capable of conversion, is a perfect incubator for the electric aviation industry," Mr Sharp said.

"Significantly lower operating costs of electric aircraft will also help to stimulate regional aviation services between communities not currently served by scheduled flights."

The plan was for Rex to provide an aircraft to be used as a test bed for the project, along with a raft of support facilities such as engineering expertise and technical assistance.

Sydney Seaplanes chief executive Aaron Shaw said they were delighted to be partnering with Rex for an initiative that promised to put Australia firmly on the map as a global leader in electric aircraft.

In the first instance, the battery powered planes would operate short flights such as Rose Bay to Palm Beach, while work continued on electric aircraft capable of longer distances.

"My view is you have to start somewhere, otherwise you'll never get to your destination," Mr Shaw said.

"Our vision is to lead regional aviation across the world into an exciting new sustainable era."

Rex has a fleet of 61 Saab 340s which are used on regional routes.

It was estimated there were as many as 11,000 nine to 19-seat aircraft across the world, capable of being retrofitted with electric engines.

As well as benefiting the environment, electric aircraft were much quieter than fuel-operated aeroplanes and around 40 per cent cheaper to operate, Mr Shaw said.

I also read somewhere that France is banning short haul aircraft routes where a train journey is less than 2.5 hours.

Seems a good idea when we, in Aus, are being advised to get to the Airport up to 3 hours ahead, but we don't have the trains. Sydney to Canberra would be a good start.

Maybe the ACT will ban non-electric airplanes.  ;D :o
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on July 22, 2022, 11:28:14 AM
I do wonder how much "Clean" electricity is actually generated in the ACT and how much "Coal" generated electricity is imported from NSW and Qld.

As an ACT resident, I often wonder the same thing. Apparently on a sunny day we're 100% solar powered, but I've never seen data to confirm this, it's always a throw away comment by X politician - and I've looked.

It's laughable how Australia in any measure think they can dictate to car makers what we want. We're a piss in the ocean of sales, especially being RHD, and I highly doubt any car maker will blink an eye.
We seem to be following California's ban on ICE cars by 2035. Australia can only hang on to what bigger countries dictate to car makers.

Whilst electric cars may be better they certainly don't solve the problem. Two steps forward one step back.
Although it'll likely get better as more uptake happens, obtaining lithium is still a mining process, and a brutal one at that: https://ecojungle.net/post/lithium-extraction-environmental-impact/

Recycling the lithium battery is also a hard process, which at the moment, it seems that continual manufacturing of new ones is far easier and preferred... what happens to the old ones then? https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220105-lithium-batteries-big-unanswered-question

Then there's the actual manufacturing of EV's which is far more C02 heavy than standard ICE engines, before you even get it out of the dealership, you'll need to drive 20,000km before breaking even in C02 emissions than a standard car:
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/when-do-electric-vehicles-become-cleaner-than-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/lifetime-emissions-of-evs-are-lower-than-gasoline-cars-experts-say.html

Granted most of us drive our car more than 20,000km, but you have to remember, the production is more demanding because of the lithium battery, you'll need one of those every 6-8 years too... and not $300 from Supercheap either - try between $6,000 to as high as $30,000 (Nissan here in Canberra charged someone this, the link is now dead: https://autoexpert.com.au/videoblog/astonishing-30k-nissan-leaf-battery-replacement-bill). Manufacturers are now pretty good and cover a large chunk.
https://thedriven.io/2021/07/23/how-much-are-replacement-batteries-for-electric-vehicles-in-australia/

So you start that 20,000km (give or take) again every 6-8 years, if they last that long, I know the battery in my phone doesn't, despite gurantee's of X amount of time by the world's best tech companies.
I'm not saying we're in the negative here, we're still ahead of a petrol car (I'm unsure what the 'average' one is). My point is, companies have figured out they can leverage Governments and large parties to profit from this green agenda, whilst it isn't this big 'problem solved' that we're being told.

Then there's the attitude of the buyers... all these things above that the consumer wipes their hands with and says "I'm net zero." Well, no, you're not, you've just left a wake of construction and still polluting.

Further reading on the break-even point of lifetime emissions, in a country like Australia, where coal makes up more than 50% of our electricity generation, you can pump up those km's from 20,000 nearer to 50,000km...
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/lifetime-carbon-emissions-electric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

meha

This is to me always an interesting argument, I have to admit that for commuters in cities the idea of electric is possible but for those of us in regional areas it is going to have the big issue of not having charging points to be able to get to and from places. I currently am in a job that can require me to drive up to 600km in a day which, based on the current electric cars is simply not going to be possible as the range is just not there. Whilst I acknowledge that not all petrol cars can do that, the time that it takes to fill up with fuel against recharging which from all reports will take hours.

I know in my own states that the charging stations are available in the cities and also on the main tourist spots but my issue is when you are outside of those areas, how are you supposed to get a top up?

stevo qld

Quote from: skaifeman on July 22, 2022, 12:17:19 PM
Quote from: stevo qld on July 22, 2022, 11:28:14 AM

As an ACT resident, I often wonder the same thing. Apparently on a sunny day we're 100% solar powered, but I've never seen data to confirm this, it's always a throw away comment by X politician - and I've looked.

Problem easily solved. Solar works when Sun shining.

Just keep the politicians in the ACT. There are enough of them (all sides) who think the Sun shines out of their bum.

Then again, it might be too much for the public seeing all those Sunshiny Bums every night.  ;D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

djr18fan

Quote from: meha on July 22, 2022, 12:18:23 PM
This is to me always an interesting argument, I have to admit that for commuters in cities the idea of electric is possible but for those of us in regional areas it is going to have the big issue of not having charging points to be able to get to and from places. I currently am in a job that can require me to drive up to 600km in a day which, based on the current electric cars is simply not going to be possible as the range is just not there. Whilst I acknowledge that not all petrol cars can do that, the time that it takes to fill up with fuel against recharging which from all reports will take hours.

I know in my own states that the charging stations are available in the cities and also on the main tourist spots but my issue is when you are outside of those areas, how are you supposed to get a top up?

The solution:
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/electric-shock-for-2023-mitsubishi-triton-new-ute-to-beat-ford-ranger-and-toyota-hilux-to

coyote302

The Greens/Labor coalition in the ACT is just a taste of what will happen across the whole country! As usual this won't effect the rich elitists it's normal working people who will suffer.
I live to trigger woke snowflakes