News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Cars billing owners a monthly subscription for certain features

Started by Bloopy, July 22, 2022, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloopy

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/business-verify/bmw-heated-seat-subscription-not-in-us/536-816e1124-994b-41ce-ab5a-222c10667566
QuoteBMW can remotely give its newer cars upgrades, as well as enable or disable certain features, through a system it calls BMW ConnectedDrive. Through ConnectedDrive, BMW can give a car software updates. These software updates allow BMW to change a driver's access to certain features based on if they pay for the feature through a subscription.

But ConnectedDrive does not function the same in every country.

QuoteBMW is using this subscription model more widely in South Korea, Germany, South Africa, the UK and a few other countries.

"Let's be clear: BMW is not charging American buyers subscription fees for car features," Kelley Blue Book says. "But it's worth reporting because it probably will come here — and it probably won't just be BMW that brings it."

BMW does offer a subscription for heated seats in Japan, Malaysia, South Africa and several countries in Europe. In those countries, customers can choose a monthly subscription, an annual subscription, a subscription for three years or pay a one-time fee to use heated seats for the lifetime of the car. For example, in the United Kingdom, customers can pay the equivalent of $18 monthly for heated seats, $180 for the annual subscription or $450 to have heated seats for the lifetime of the car.

I heard there was a sucker born every minute so I can't see these sorts of business models fading away. ;D

Sonic

I heard about this too...

no doubt some people will think it is a fantastic idea as you said
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

stevo qld

It seems like the Microsoft model. e.g. Office 365.

(Office 2013 still works well.  ;) )
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on July 24, 2022, 08:40:17 PM
It seems like the Microsoft model. e.g. Office 365.

(Office 2013 still works well.  ;) )

I'm happy for personal use with Office 98 LOL!!! I still use old programs on my desktop comp which was bought around 2000

mikeamerica84

I do not have much computer savvy.  Do you think this will have an effect on my 1995 F-150 with a straight six and a five speed manual tranny on the floor?

It does have sliding rear window - THAT is my main concern.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Sonic

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 25, 2022, 09:55:44 AM
I do not have much computer savvy.  Do you think this will have an effect on my 1995 F-150 with a straight six and a five speed manual tranny on the floor?

absolutely it does.

if you do not pay Mr Ford $27 per month he will lock your rear window and force you to suffocate whilst in the vehicle.

stevo qld

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 25, 2022, 09:55:44 AM

The windows should be OK, as long as they are not "Microsoft" Windows.  ;D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Quote from: stevo qld on July 25, 2022, 11:00:57 AM
Now THAT'S funny!   ;D
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Sonic

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 26, 2022, 10:05:23 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on July 25, 2022, 11:00:57 AM
Now THAT'S funny!   ;D

They are the easiest ones to fix though... you just have to close them all and restart the car...

Bloopy

Quote from: Sonic on July 25, 2022, 08:33:33 AM
I'm happy for personal use with Office 98 LOL!!! I still use old programs on my desktop comp which was bought around 2000

And I thought I was bad for sticking with Windows 7 on my ten year old desktop! I use the free MS Word/Excel Starter and Movie Maker. Also occasionally other old software such as Ulead PhotoImpact and Jasc Animation Shop - sometimes you can just do a particular task better or faster in them.

The thought of you needing protection when plugging that PC into the web reminded me that a USB Condom is a thing also. Essential for anyone who goes around plugging into ports in public spaces.