News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2023 Season

Started by stevo qld, July 28, 2022, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Quote from: stevo qld on July 25, 2022, 11:34:31 AM
Quote from: Tommo on July 12, 2022, 02:26:55 AM
Do we think that Piastri will actually get a seat? A few weeks ago there was noise about Williams but that has gone quiet. Also in F2 Logan Sargeant is going well and is a Williams academy member. He is also American and these days sadly the series is very much more American focused.

Vettel's seat might become available, or better still Hamiltons.

I would not be surprised if  HAAS is sold, in part or full, to Andretti.

Well there is one prophecy fulfilled. Vettel's seat is now available. Well done Sebastian. :)

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/07/28/vettel-announces-formula-1-retirement/

QuoteSebastian Vettel has announced he will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the 2022 season.

The German currently drives for Aston Martin, but has had stints at Ferrari, BMW Sauber, and Toro Rosso.

The 35-year-old enjoyed the bulk of his success with Red Bull, winning four world championships from 2010.

"I have had the privilege of working with many fantastic people in Formula 1 over the past 15 years – there are far too many to mention and thank," he said.

"Over the past two years I have been an Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula 1 Team driver – and, although our results have not been as good as we had hoped, it is very clear to me that everything is being put together that a team needs to race at the very highest level for years to come.

"I have really enjoyed working with such a great bunch of people.

"Everyone – Lawrence [Stroll], Lance [Stroll], Martin [Whitmarsh], Mike [Krack], the senior managers, the engineers, the mechanics and the rest of the team – is ambitious, capable, expert, committed and friendly, and I wish them all well.

"I hope that the work I did last year and am continuing to do this year will be helpful in the development of a team that will win in the future, and I will work as hard as I can between now and the end of the year with that goal in mind, giving as always my best in the last 10 races.

"The decision to retire has been a difficult one for me to take, and I have spent a lot of time thinking about it; at the end of the year I want to take some more time to reflect on what I will focus on next; it is very clear to me that, being a father, I want to spend more time with my family.

"But today is not about saying goodbye. Rather, it is about saying thank you – to everyone – not least to the fans, without whose passionate support Formula 1 could not exist."

Alongside his four world titles, Vettel has to date recorded 53 wins, 122 podiums, and 57 pole positions.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Kytabu

"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Tommo

From Alonso's perspective I do not understand it at all but this is fantastic news for Piastri.

Kytabu

Quote from: Tommo on August 01, 2022, 06:42:33 PM
From Alonso's perspective I do not understand it at all but this is fantastic news for Piastri.
I am wondering if maybe Alonso has been pushed out to make way for Piastri and took whatever seat he could get.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

stevo qld

I had wondered about the possibility of this move for a while.

Alonso had only one year of contract left, at which time, Alpine had made it clear he would be out as they had a replacement already on the books.

Aston Martin really need an experienced driver in the team to replace Vettel, and he gets Mercedes power and a multi year contract.

I suspect that this has been worked out long ago, if we look at Alpine's comments.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Tommo

Some rumours are now suggesting Piastri to McLaren, partly due to the delay in Alpine making a decision on Piastri vs Alonso in the first place.

What a circus. Doesn't look great for Daniel either.

stevo qld

Sorry, I said that Alonso had only 1 year left on his contact. Actually Alpine were restricting their offer to a single year.

There are also rumors that Webber, Piastri's manager is pushing for a McLaren seat.

Alpine may be taking Daniel back as they don't want to break in a new driver in his first year. They need two point scoring drivers.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Kytabu on August 01, 2022, 06:19:59 PM
Well, I wasn't expecting this!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fernando-alonso-switches-to-aston-martin-f1-team-from-2023/10347079/
:o

Not to go off topic, but if we slide over to IndyCars there is a court case brewing between owner Chip Ganassi and driver Alex Palou.  Palou is the defending champ.  Chip says he is exercising his 2023 contract option with Palou and keeping him.  Alex says he has signed with McLaren (Indy).  Rumor mill it is for him to set up his shot at McLaren F1 down the road.

So there are a couple of spoons in the pot right now as IndyCar might be adding a little more spice to the soup.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

mikeamerica84

HERE WE GO!

Alpine Promotes Piastri to 2023 Race Seat Amid Rumored McLaren Interest
By Chris Medland | August 2, 2022 12:54 PM ET

Alpine claims Oscar Piastri will race for the team in 2023 despite doubts over his intentions, and without comment from the young Australian.

Piastri was expected to replace Fernando Alonso after the Spaniard joined Aston Martin, but earlier on Tuesday Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer admitted to the BBC there could be a dispute ahead with the Australian's management team – including Mark Webber – believed to have spoken to McLaren about a possible switch.

"Oscar and his camp are 'considering their options,' whatever that means," Szafnauer said. "I'm not privy to whatever pre-arrangement he has with McLaren if any any all but I hear the same rumors you do. But I do know he does have contractual obligations to us and we do to him."

However, just a few hours later, Alpine announced that Piastri would race for the team, but unusually there was no comment from Piastri nor any social media posts confirming the news from his side.

Alpine states it has promoted Piastri "in line with the commitments made by the team to the young Australian", and pointedly states that since it promoted him to reserve driver he "has since been undergoing, under the team's guidance and its full financial support, an intensive and comprehensive training program of private tests in the race-winning A521, the 2021 Alpine F1 car, race support and simulator sessions to prepare him for the next big step into F1".

The announcement was also made at 2am Australian time regarding the 21-year-old, who has been in demand since winning three junior titles in a row, culminating in last year's Formula 2 championship.

"Oscar is a bright and rare talent," Szafnauer said. "We are proud to have nurtured and supported him through the difficult pathways of the junior formulae.

"Through our collaboration over the past four years, we have seen him develop and mature into a driver who is more than capable of taking the step up to Formula 1.

"As our reserve driver he has been exposed to the team at the track, factory and testing where he has shown the maturity, promise and speed to ensure his promotion to our second seat alongside Esteban [Ocon]. Together, we believe the duo will give us the continuity we need to achieve our long-term goal of challenging for wins and championships."

In IndyCar, McLaren is currently involved in a legal dispute over Alex Palou, having announced the defending IndyCar champion had signed for the team after Chip Ganassi Racing made its own announcements claiming it had retained his services, only for Palou to dispute that.

McLaren offered no comment when approached by RACER about the Piastri situation on Tuesday.

https://racer.com/2022/08/02/alpine-promotes-piastri-to-2023-race-seat-amid-rumored-mclaren-interest/

------------

Less than two hours later.....

'I will not be driving for Alpine next year' - Piastri
By Chris Medland | August 2, 2022 2:28 PM ET

Oscar Piastri says he will not be driving for Alpine in 2023 despite the team announcing his promotion to a Formula 1 race seat earlier today.

In a remarkably similar scenario to the one involving Alex Palou, Chip Ganassi Racing and McLaren in IndyCar, Alpine announced Piastri as Fernando Alonso's replacement on Tuesday afternoon European time despite team principal Otmar Szafnauer admitting he believed there were contractual complications involving Piastri being linked to a switch to McLaren.

A quote from Piastri in the team press release was conspicuous by its absence, and after initially failing to respond to the announcement on social media the young Australian has now stated that he is not contracted to the team in 2023.

"I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year," Piastri said. "This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

The comment from Piastri all but confirms he has an agreement in place with another team – believed to be McLaren – which would bring Daniel Ricciardo's position into question.

Unlike the Palou situation, when McLaren announced the Spaniard's planned arrival, McLaren has yet to comment.

https://racer.com/2022/08/02/i-will-not-be-driving-for-alpine-next-year-piastri/
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

madbugger

Looks like it's gunna turn into a sh1t show for Piastri.

Not sure what they are thinking, a drive at Alpine is surely not something to turn your back on, considering how well they are travelling compared to the rest of the field, other than the big 3.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

stp01

A swap with Danny Ric is a solid option, but it would benefit Danny more than Oscar I would think. The McLaren has proved to be a difficult car to tame.

Another rumour getting around is Oscar to Alpha Tauri with a future at Red Bull Porsche, given Webber's strong ties to Porsche. 
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

V8SuperRiley

Sounds like McLaren need to learn when a driver is contracted  :o, first Palou, now this haha.

I wouldn't be upset if Dan went back to Alpine. They have a stronger car over more tracks in my opinion, and seemed to suit Dan more than the McLaren does.

skaifeman

Quote from: stp01 on August 03, 2022, 07:57:36 AM
Another rumour getting around is Oscar to Alpha Tauri with a future at Red Bull Porsche, given Webber's strong ties to Porsche.

I would like this. But Red Bull don't suffer fools, the acid would be on from day 1.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Tommo

Oscar would be better than Yuki you would think.

I like Yuki but I question his temperament and consistency.

Alan59

Alpine's option with Piastri expired on 31 July.
They were busy trying to convince Alonso to stay on for 2023,farming Oscar out to Williams and then moving Oscar in for 2024.
Oscar had offers from McLaren,Alpine,Williams and Alpha Tauri followed by Red Bull( so half the grid).He decided McLaren was the best option.
Alpine stuffed around and finished losing both Alonso and Piastri.Heads will roll I think.