News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2023 Season

Started by stevo qld, July 28, 2022, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Quote from: Alan59 on August 03, 2022, 03:24:09 PM
Alpine's option with Piastri expired on 31 July.
They were busy trying to convince Alonso to stay on for 2023,farming Oscar out to Williams and then moving Oscar in for 2024.
Oscar had offers from McLaren,Alpine,Williams and Alpha Tauri followed by Red Bull( so half the grid).He decided McLaren was the best option.
Alpine stuffed around and finished losing both Alonso and Piastri.Heads will roll I think.

Are those assumptions, or do you have direct contact with Oscar. I haven't seen an actual announcement for McLaren, who still have two drivers on contract for 2023.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

They were busy trying to convince Alonso to stay on for 2023,farming Oscar out to Williams and then moving Oscar in for 2024.
Oscar had offers from McLaren,Alpine,Williams and Alpha Tauri followed by Red Bull( so half the grid).He decided McLaren was the best option.
Alpine stuffed around and finished losing both Alonso and Piastri.Heads will roll I think.

The old heads of Webber and Alonso got together :D :D.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Alan59

Quote from: stevo qld on August 03, 2022, 03:38:39 PM
Read Joe Seward's blog.

Are those assumptions, or do you have direct contact with Oscar. I haven't seen an actual announcement for McLaren, who still have two drivers on contract for 2023.

V8SuperRiley

From what I've seen, these are from Marcus Erricsons Twitter haha.

stevo qld

Quote from: Alan59 on August 03, 2022, 10:05:21 PM

Alan replied "Read Joe Seward's blog."

Not being aware of Joe Sawards blog, I was out of that loop, but it doesn't seem to have any confirmation,

Reading a stack of news reports about contracts with McLaren show that they are signing drivers, without allocating a series to race in. They have teams in Indycar, Formula E, sports car racing etc.

Daniel has often suggested, or it has been suggested of him, that he wants to be in cars capable of winning, but he still loves F1.

Any realistic chance of a winning drive in F1 is now out of reach, including McLaren.

Might Daniel switch to Indycar? After all, we have seen that a convert from an Australian Touring car series can win races. Surely a multi F1 race winning driver would have a chance of winning.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

Not looking real good for Dan if the above is the case.

And to make it worse, screwed over by a couple of fellow Aussies
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

stevo qld

2023, Daniel for a much improved Alpine Team. probably with his salary paid by McLaren.

That is a likely outcome and definitely the best option for Daniel if he wants to stay in F1.

Other options include, McLaren paying his salary (15 to 21M depending on media source) and McLaren farm him out to one of the vacant seats:

Williams. The new owners may surprise with their new car and they do have Mercedes power, which was the benchmark. They would love a Free driver that is a proven winner and have a vacancy.

Haas. Their 2023 car is being developed, in a separate office at the Ferrari complex , using Ferrari staff on secondment, Surely they have to do better and need an experienced driver. Daniel could get McLaren $$$$ plus a bonus from Haas. They would love a Free driver that is a proven winner. Their current drivers are not really up to the game, surname regardless. Of course, that is if they remain Haas, nd not Andeetti/Hass.

There is still the option of Indycar (which I would choose) or sports car racing. all under the McLaren management.

Whatever happens, McLaren is not a happy place for Daniel. Please take the $$$$ on offer and get another drive. Let's face it McLaren is not  a winning team and if you must go to a non-winning team, choose to change, but take the $$$$ with you.  ;D

There are a lot on options in the McLaren camp and none of them are good for Daniel, or probably for a swag of other McLaren signed drivers.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Alan59

I doubt Dan will get another drive.
He is 33 years old and his best form was 5 years ago.
Retirement the best option unless he is truly motivated to go and race against all the old men and Euro junior formula flops that make up the grid in IndyCar.
He's had an 11 year F1 career which is pretty good for someone who never challenged for the world championship although 2014-2017 he was one of the top 3 drivers on the grid.

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Alan59 on August 05, 2022, 08:47:54 PM
I doubt Dan will get another drive.
He is 33 years old and his best form was 5 years ago.
Retirement the best option unless he is truly motivated to go and race against all the old men and Euro junior formula flops that make up the grid in IndyCar.
He's had an 11 year F1 career which is pretty good for someone who never challenged for the world championship although 2014-2017 he was one of the top 3 drivers on the grid.

He'll be on the grid, it just depends who with..

skaifeman

His marketability likely plays a part. He's one of the top 3 known drivers (alongside Hamilton and Verstappen) thanks to Netflix.

It's funny. Netflix did wonders for his popularity, but did nothing for his results... and yet might be the reason he holds onto a drive.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Alan59

Quote from: madbugger on August 05, 2022, 07:54:37 PM
Not looking real good for Dan if the above is the case.

And to make it worse, screwed over by a couple of fellow Aussies
This is ridiculous.Webber's job was to get the best possible drive for Piastri.It wasn't to be a cheer leader for Ricciardo or the flag or anything else.
McLaren were understandably completely disenchanted with Ricciardo whose 2022 results are worse than his 2021 results.
They got sick of wasting a seat and didn't want to do so for 2023 as well.Their big mistake was not putting a performance clause in his contract.Although they wouldn't have seen the need to as it is unprecedented in F1 to see a driver who was so good go into such a steep decline.
If you want to go all patriotic guaranteed that Piastri will get much better results next year than Ricciardo has the past 2 years.

Ospif1

Piastri to Mclaren and Ric to Alpine is the best result for aussie fans.  Ric clearly can't adapt to the style required to drive the Mclaren as quickly as Norris and he'd only continue that form into next season.  On the other hand he was very quick in the Renault and it appears the philosophy of car design hasn't really changed there since he left.  Piastri will need to adapt to whichever F1 he races for the first time so is in a better position in that regard.

mikeamerica84

About a day old.....

McLaren in Ricciardo Exit Talks Before Piastri Announcement
By Chris Medland | August 5, 2022 10:32 AM ET

McLaren is in negotiations with Daniel Ricciardo about his departure from the team and trying to facilitate a move to another Formula 1 outfit before it announces Oscar Piastri's arrival.

RACER understands McLaren feels it has a valid contract with Piastri for 2023 after Alpine failed to complete formalities within the timeframe it was required to when signing the Australian to his reserve contract for 2022. The McLaren contract was finalized prior to any mooted July 31 deadline, making such a date irrelevant to Piastri's move or Fernando Alonso's switch to Aston Martin.

Piastri's management team includes former F1 driver Mark Webber, who enjoys a close relationship with McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl having raced for the German at Porsche in the World Endurance Championship from 2014-16.

Having secured Piastri's services, McLaren is now working on financial terms to buy out the remainder of Ricciardo's contract for next season, but also wants to try and make sure Ricciardo lands at another team, with the ideal scenario a seat swap with his fellow Australian at Alpine.

Prior to Piastri making his position clear, Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer had suggested there would be no issue with Ricciardo returning to the team he left at the end of 2020 from a working point of view.

It is understood Ricciardo is not currently interested in a full-time switch to IndyCar, as he has previously stated he is not a fan of racing on ovals. McLaren is in an ongoing dispute over Alex Palou's future in IndyCar but it is believed the Piastri situation is likely to be settled before the dispute in the United States is resolved.

https://racer.com/2022/08/05/mclaren-in-ricciardo-exit-talks-before-piastri-announcement/
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Alan59 on August 05, 2022, 08:47:54 PM
C'mon Alan.  Really?

Jeez.....
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life