News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2023 Season

Started by stevo qld, July 28, 2022, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

Horner Confirms Ricciardo Red Bull Return Plan
By Chris Medland | November 19, 2022 8:12 AM ET

Christian Horner has confirmed plans for Daniel Ricciardo's return to Red Bull in 2023 as one of the team's reserve drivers.

Ricciardo will not be racing in Formula 1 next season after having his McLaren contract terminated one year early, and not finding a seat that he was motivated by after a number of tough seasons.

Instead, the Australian was focused on a role that kept him involved with a Formula 1 team but afforded him more flexibility to try and launch a successful comeback in 2024, and after Helmut Marko suggested a deal was done, Red Bull team principal Horner has outlined Ricciardo's role.

"We haven't signed anything yet but Helmut, obviously in his enthusiasm, has already announced it, so I guess that means that Daniel will be joining us, unless of course he chooses not to sign it!" Horner said.

"Daniel's a big character. It's been disappointing to see his performance this year. I think the would have wanted a lot more out of the season but he's still one of the biggest names and biggest characters in F1.

"He obviously has a history of being a Red Bull junior, and just with the demands that are on the race drivers these days, just from a marketing perspective alone, we're very, very active as a team – we do many showruns and events – and to have a driver of Daniel's profile and history with the team within the group is only an asset for us.

"It means that he keeps in touch with Formula 1, and we'll obviously be using him on the simulator as well. He'll be attending potentially some events, of course if he does sign a contract! I'm sure that will all become clear in the event of him signing a contract."

Despite Ricciardo's history with Red Bull and recent tension between Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez, Horner says there is no thinking that the team might be able to bring the former driver back into a race capacity in future.

"No, no. Daniel's contract is very specific for a specific reason. We have a contract with Checo for the next two years. What the partnership of Max and Checo has produced has been phenomenal for us.

"The five one-two finishes so far this year, the constructors' championship that we hadn't won for eight years, is a phenomenal achievement. And obviously the combination of both drivers' points contributions.

"The two drivers do have a good relationship, they've raced well for the team, and we've got no reason to see that being any different tomorrow or for the duration of their contractual commitments to the team thereafter. For Checo, we obviously made that commitment for two years earlier in the year, he made a good step this year.

"His performances, I think he felt more comfortable in the team at the beginning of the year after that first year joining during a COVID period. Hopefully he can round off what's been a very strong year for him with that runner-up position in the championship this year, which is something we've never achieved before.

"Between the two of them, Max's season has been truly outstanding: 14 grand prix victories, plus Checo's two, 16 grand prix victories is more than we've ever achieved in our history and something we're very proud of."

https://racer.com/2022/11/19/horner-confirms-ricciardo-red-bull-return-plan/

Good to see Dan still has his foot in the F1 door.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

mikeamerica84

I think this is the last seat to be claimed.  Unfortunately, IMO, they tapped the wrong Yank to go to F1.  They should have done SOMETHING to get Colton Herta there.  He is much better known here in the States than Sargent.

Sargeant Secures Super License, F1 Seat for 2023
By Chris Medland | November 20, 2022 6:18 AM ET

Logan Sargeant will race in Formula 1 for Williams in 2023 after securing his Super License with a fourth place finish the Formula 2 championship.

The American was announced as a Williams driver back at the United States Grand Prix, but with the caveat that he had to secure his Super License at the final round of the F2 season in Abu Dhabi. After a strong qualifying performance Sargeant was able to finish the reverse grid race in sixth, and he then followed that with a controlled drive in Sunday's feature race.

Running in the points for the majority of the race, Sargeant benefited from Alpine youngster Jack Doohan retiring with a loose wheel while in contention for victory, and after overtaking Roy Nissany with a beautiful move around the outside of Turn 9, and then seeing Theo Pourchaire derailed by a reliability issue, Sargeant finished fifth.

The Floridian put pressure on Dennis Hauger for fourth on the final lap as one more position would have secured him third in the drivers' championship, but Liam Lawson's podium helped the Red Bull junior jump his Carlin teammate for third place. Sargeant still ends up as the top rookie in fourth, with the 30 Super License points added to his existing 30, and bonuses likely to see him exceed 60 overall.

With the championship positions finalized Sargeant's drive with Williams is officially confirmed, and he will take part in the Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday as he continues his preparations ahead of becoming the first full-time American on the F1 grid since Scott Speed in 2007.

https://racer.com/2022/11/20/logan-sargeant-secures-super-license-f1-seat-for-2023/

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on November 22, 2022, 10:54:44 AM
I think this is the last seat to be claimed.  Unfortunately, IMO, they tapped the wrong Yank to go to F1.  They should have done SOMETHING to get Colton Herta there.  He is much better known here in the States than Sargent.

Sargeant Secures Super License, F1 Seat for 2023
By Chris Medland | November 20, 2022 6:18 AM ET

Logan Sargeant will race in Formula 1 for Williams in 2023 after securing his Super License with a fourth place finish the Formula 2 championship.

The American was announced as a Williams driver back at the United States Grand Prix, but with the caveat that he had to secure his Super License at the final round of the F2 season in Abu Dhabi. After a strong qualifying performance Sargeant was able to finish the reverse grid race in sixth, and he then followed that with a controlled drive in Sunday's feature race.

Running in the points for the majority of the race, Sargeant benefited from Alpine youngster Jack Doohan retiring with a loose wheel while in contention for victory, and after overtaking Roy Nissany with a beautiful move around the outside of Turn 9, and then seeing Theo Pourchaire derailed by a reliability issue, Sargeant finished fifth.

The Floridian put pressure on Dennis Hauger for fourth on the final lap as one more position would have secured him third in the drivers' championship, but Liam Lawson's podium helped the Red Bull junior jump his Carlin teammate for third place. Sargeant still ends up as the top rookie in fourth, with the 30 Super License points added to his existing 30, and bonuses likely to see him exceed 60 overall.

With the championship positions finalized Sargeant's drive with Williams is officially confirmed, and he will take part in the Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday as he continues his preparations ahead of becoming the first full-time American on the F1 grid since Scott Speed in 2007.

https://racer.com/2022/11/20/logan-sargeant-secures-super-license-f1-seat-for-2023/

I like Logan coming in, as he has earnt the Super License, not been given any dispensation. He's a good racer, and a smart racer. I hope he does well.

As for Danny Ric. If Niko can be out for 3 years and come back, surely Dan has a chance.

mikeamerica84

Chinese Grand Prix Called Off Again for 2023
By Chris Medland | December 2, 2022 8:39 AM ET

The Chinese Grand Prix will not take place in 2023 due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, but Formula 1 is looking to replace the event to keep the calendar at 24 rounds.

China was the first race called off when the COVID pandemic hit in 2020 and has yet to return to the schedule despite being included over the past two seasons. With unrest in the country regarding ongoing restrictions, F1 has held discussions with the organizers to try and find a solution but has now confirmed the race will not take place next year as the sport cannot operate as it does at other events.

Removing the Shanghai International Circuit from the calendar leaves a slot available on April 16. While there had initially been speculation that the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on April 30 could move from its position as the first part of back-to-back weekends with Miami, it is understood F1 is speaking to multiple locations about replacing China instead.

RACER understands Portimao is the front-runner, at this stage having held two races during the pandemic-hit years of 2020 and 2021, but F1 is in discussions with a number of other potential host venues as it assesses the viability of each option. The Portuguese circuit would need to find an alternative solution for the FIA World Endurance Championship 6 Hours of Portimao that is currently due to be held on the same April 16 weekend.

This year, the cancellation of the Russian Grand Prix prompted F1 to explore alternatives but ultimately series management decided against a replacement for that September event and reduced the calendar to 22 races.

https://racer.com/2022/12/02/chinese-grand-prix-called-off-again-for-2023/

skaifeman

Why can it not operate as per other events?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

With China called off and Supercars not bothering with its use there is an opening for the F1 to have a round at Winton...
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

V8SuperRiley

6 Sprint races for 2023. I'm keen to see Baku!!

• Azerbaijan - Baku City Circuit (April 30)
  • Austria - Red Bull Ring (July 2)
  • Belgium - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (July 30)
  • Qatar - Losail International Circuit (October 8)
  • USA - Circuit of The Americas (October 22)
  • Brazil - Interlagos (November 5)

mikeamerica84

Not much to talk about during these off-season days, so I will throw this one out here:

Schumacher Joins Mercedes as 2023 Reserve
By Chris Medland | December 15, 2022 8:34 AM ET

Mick Schumacher has left the Ferrari Driver Academy and joined the Mercedes Formula 1 team as its reserve driver for 2023.

The son of seven-time world champion Michael was dropped by Haas after two years in a race seat, being replaced by Nico Hulkenberg. However, shortly after Ferrari announced Schumacher would leave its academy he was confirmed at Mercedes in a reserve role that will see him attend all grands prix next season as well as carry out simulator work.

"I am thrilled to be part of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team as their reserve driver for 2023, and I am committed to give it my all to contribute to their performance in this very competitive and professional environment," Schumacher said. "I take this as a new start, and I am just excited and grateful to Toto (Wolff) and everybody involved for putting their trust in me.

"F1 is such a fascinating world, and you never stop learning, so I look forward to absorbing more knowledge and putting in all my efforts for the benefit of the Mercedes team."

Schumacher becomes the only reserve at Mercedes for now after Nyck de Vries joined AlphaTauri and Stoffel Vandoorne moved to Aston Martin, and Wolff says his experience as a race driver in current machinery made him the perfect candidate to join the team that his father raced for from 2010-12.

"Mick is a talented young driver and we're delighted to have him join the team," Wolff said. "He is a hard worker, has a calm and methodical approach and is still hungry to learn and improve as a driver. These are all important qualities, and we're excited for him to help us develop the W14.

"We also know that with two years of experience racing in Formula 1 under his belt, he will be ready to step into the car at short notice to replace either Lewis (Hamilton) or George (Russell), should that need arise."

https://racer.com/2022/12/15/schumacher-joins-mercedes-as-2023-reserve/

mikeamerica84

First off, good to see the site is back up and running!   :)

And now back to the news:

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on December 05, 2022, 08:56:52 AM
Chinese Grand Prix Called Off Again for 2023
By Chris Medland | December 2, 2022 8:39 AM ET

The Chinese Grand Prix will not take place in 2023 due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, but Formula 1 is looking to replace the event to keep the calendar at 24 rounds.,,,,
F1 Won't Replace Axed Chinese GP

By Chris Medland | January 17, 2023 7:08 AM ET

The 2023 Formula 1 season will consist of 23 races as this year's Chinese Grand Prix will not be replaced on the schedule.

China was originally on this season's calendar as the fourth round of the season between Australia and Azerbaijan, but was cancelled once again due to the COVID-19 situation in the country. Although China reopened its borders at the start of this year and wanted to speak to F1 about being reinstated, an agreement couldn't be reached for it to retake its slot given uncertainty over how other regions are reviewing travel to and from the country.

F1 analyzed potential replacements for the race but did not find a suitable alternative that would work logistically in an already-record calendar, and as a result has opted against substituting China with another venue.

Given the planning required for the early part of the season and tickets already being on sale for events, no other dates will change meaning there will be a three-week gap in the schedule between the Australian Grand Prix on April 2 and the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on April 30, with the latter forming the first part of a double-header with Miami.

China has not held a race since 2019, having been the first grand prix called off when the COVID-19 pandemic evolved and restrictions remained tight over the following years. At the end of 2021, F1 extended its contract to race in Shanghai until 2025, when F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said "China will be restored to the calendar as soon as conditions allow".

This year's calendar is already the largest in F1's history at 23 races, with the addition of Las Vegas and returning Qatar Grand Prix only offset by France dropping off from 2022.

https://racer.com/2023/01/17/f1-wont-replace-axed-chinese-gp/

skaifeman

Launch dates as follows:

January 31 - Haas
February 3 - Red Bull
February 6 - Williams
February 7 - Alfa Romeo
February 11 - AlphaTauri
February 13 - Aston Martin
February 13 - McLaren
February 14 - Ferrari
February 15 - Mercedes
February 16 - Alpine
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

And we have our first launch...

Nice change up of the colour scheme. My first thought was of the 2005 Minardi.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

meha

It is a nice look from the Haas. I hope that this sponsor sticks around for a bit longer than the last few major sponsors that Haas have had in the past.

It actually reminds me a bit of the Verizon Penske indycar's as well. 

V8SuperRiley

Big fan of the HAAS car. The livery is a nice improvement over the last couple of seasons.

skaifeman

ignition

the black/carbon trend is a bit disappointing, as is the continuation of last years liveries. would've been nice to see more variety on the field this year but for the most part (so far) it seems like it's gonna look pretty similar to last