News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2023 Season

Started by stevo qld, July 28, 2022, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

It is it just me or does the Ferrari look like it is using a brighter red compared to last year?

Back in Black for Mercedes, supposedly for weight saving. It's a shame, I enjoyed having the Silver Arrows back last year.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

V8SuperRiley

Alpine rocking the pink for the first 3 round and then back to the blue.

Another team running additional black for the weight saving benefits.

Kytabu

Well, putting the Red Bulls aside, I found that an enjoyable race. Great to see Alonso in the mix, hopefully Aston Martin can keep this up. Impressed by Williams being solidly in the midfield, and Sargeant had a great debut weekend.

Piastri had a decent start before his electrical issues; looking forward to see his progress over the next few races. McLaren look disappointing overall though.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

V8SuperRiley

Dan would be smiling all the way to the bank after that one..

mikeamerica84

LeClerc is taking a 10+ place grid penalty for Jeddah:

Excerpt:  Ferrari has confirmed that Charles Leclerc will take a grid penalty of at least 10 places for this weekend's Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, after his retirement from the Bahrain GP forced the team to install a fresh electronics power unit component.

https://racer.com/2023/03/15/leclerc-to-take-grid-penalty-in-saudi-arabia/
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

madbugger

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on March 17, 2023, 01:04:04 AM

Excerpt:  Ferrari has confirmed that Charles Leclerc will take a grid penalty of at least 10 places for this weekend's Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, after his retirement from the Bahrain GP forced the team to install a fresh electronics power unit component.

After 1 race, they have used their years supply. Gunna suck for them later in the year if they blow a couple more up.

Talk about being on the back foot from the start.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Sonic

Shows how much of a joke the penalty system is when a team gets slugged after 1 race!
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Sonic on March 17, 2023, 09:52:53 AM

Shows how much of a joke the penalty system is when a team gets slugged after 1 race!

I think it shows how much of a joke the Ferrari's are to be honest. The fact that they're on to their 3rd CE unit is ridiculous.

stp01

I think if you replace a part that causes a DNF due to failure, that part can be replaced without penalty. No other parts though. A DNF in this era is enough of a penalty by itself.
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

Alan59

Quote from: stp01 on March 18, 2023, 03:41:13 PM
I think if you replace a part that causes a DNF due to failure, that part can be replaced without penalty. No other parts though. A DNF in this era is enough of a penalty by itself.
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the rule.Grid penalties are a way of forcing teams into cost containment.The whole power train system is so expensive there are probably only 3 teams on the grid that could afford to go past the current allocation without a lot of financial pain even if there wasn't a cost cap.
The rule is to force manufacturers into building reliability into the units.That some of them fail so spectacularly is a preview of what would happen without the rules.

stp01

I understand the rule perfectly fine. Note that there is also a cost cap in place that was not there when power unit penalties were first introduced.

All teams aim to be reliable. I doubt Ferrari were searching for some magic performance advantage with Leclerc's control electrics, Sainz's seem to be just fine. But they failed, and now he has a penalty for something that broke and caused a DNF. It just robs the fans of a battle at the front.

If you blow more than your allocation of engines for the year - they will be replaced anyway. Look at last year, for instance HAAS used 11 ICEs for the year, their allocation was 6! Renault used 12. Let them replace them, it just means they can't spend on other things such as aero upgrades.
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

stevo qld

The electronic hybrid bits are far too complicated and unreliable and expensive. They have little relationship to the manufacturer's road going hybrids or future hybrids.

F1 should bring forward the projected simpler hybrids with less to go wrong.

Back when some of these teams started, they just purchased a car from a manufacturer.

I see no reason that teams should not buy secondhand cars. F1 says they want to reduce costs.
Why can't Alpha Tauri (?) simply buy last years Red Bull cars and modify them if they wish.
Why can't HAAS just buy last year's Ferrari, as a starting point, the work on improvements.

It is a budget saver for buyer and seller, and it is historically correct for F1.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

V8SuperRiley

I don't mind that idea at all Stevo.. Even if it had say the wings and diffuser removed.

McLaren are wielding the axe.. But I think they're still aiming for the wrong spots.

Sonic

just watched the Lewis interview.

I have NEVER been an LH fan at all. The portrayed arrogance has always turned me off.

Today just might have changed that view.

I still don't/won't call him (or any other driver) the GOAT but as a person he has certainly climbed the ladder a rung in my eyes.

philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!