News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2021 Season

Started by skaifeman, May 14, 2021, 11:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

F1 take the 'who's in front' midway through the corner to another level. You can freely feed the driver outside you off the track if you have your nose in front, especially in a chicane setting.
Max has done so to Lewis on multiple occasions this year and Lewis always pulls out (and cries). Lewis did the same here but Max didn't pull out. Bit of his own medicine I say.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EchF9NmKJtA

Toto raised a good point post race, it was a bit of a tactical foul. It's status quo if both end in the dirt, rather than Lewis closing/leaping the points gap.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

I've never liked the F1 rules regarding racing room. If another car has that much overlap, you should be obliged to give them room.

Awesome drive by Daniel! Fastest lap on the final lap just to show he had pace in hand too. Hopefully he is consistently up there with Lando now; he has looked better since the summer break.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Sonic

Quote from: Kytabu on September 13, 2021, 10:51:44 AM
I've never liked the F1 rules regarding racing room. If another car has that much overlap, you should be obliged to give them room.

Awesome drive by Daniel! Fastest lap on the final lap just to show he had pace in hand too. Hopefully he is consistently up there with Lando now; he has looked better since the summer break.

Agreed. They are more than happy to run each other off the road but then cry when it happens to them. They seem to forget so quickly how easy it is to have a big one in F1.

From the 2 main crashes this year we could have lost both Max and Lewis.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Troy01505

Lewis is a sook and I am surprised he didn't play the race card. Toto crying foul was a ploy to get a points penalty issued as poor Lewis needs a hand to win the championship this year.

Lewis deserved a penalty more then Max but in all honesty they both played their part so should just be deemed a racing incident.

Kytabu

A thought I had on the sprint qualifying points...Bottas won the sprint but took a grid penalty and started last, yet still got the three points for winning the sprint. To me, this would be like a driver winning a race with a time penalty, yet still getting the points for first place despite dropping down the order. Surely grid penalties for sprint qualifying should have the same effect as time penalties in the Grand Prix? If you go back to Silverstone, Russell was given a three-place grid penalty for causing a collision in the sprint rather than a time penalty. If he had finished in the top three in that sprint, would he have kept the points as it was a grid penalty rather than a time penalty?

Sonic

Quote from: Kytabu on September 14, 2021, 10:33:27 AM
A thought I had on the sprint qualifying points...Bottas won the sprint but took a grid penalty and started last, yet still got the three points for winning the sprint. To me, this would be like a driver winning a race with a time penalty, yet still getting the points for first place despite dropping down the order. Surely grid penalties for sprint qualifying should have the same effect as time penalties in the Grand Prix? If you go back to Silverstone, Russell was given a three-place grid penalty for causing a collision in the sprint rather than a time penalty. If he had finished in the top three in that sprint, would he have kept the points as it was a grid penalty rather than a time penalty?

Did he take the engine prior to the quali sprint? or between the sprint and the race?

If he took it prior to quali then he really should have had the penalty applied prior to going into it. Just another of those stupid F1 rule quirks I guess.

Kytabu

The engine was installed prior to the qualifying session on Friday.

It just seems odd that he gets the points for "winning" qualifying but is not recognised as the pole-sitter. Take Formula 2 as an example; they award four points for the feature race pole-winner. If a driver is fastest in qualifying but has a grid penalty, they do not get those points. So if the F1 sprint qualifying is actually a part of qualifying, why should someone with a grid penalty take the full points?

Sonic

they shouldn't.

Max should have got the points in that case.

stp01

So happy to see Danny Ric take the win! My favourite team and driver! I'll be honest and admit I didn't think I'd see a win for some time. Not going to get carried away though, Monza certainly suited the McLaren characteristics. Ricciardo's starts were amazing though, even from the dirty side of the track.

Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

Kytabu

I was a week and a half late in making this but it had to be done ;D.

Kytabu

The young Aussies getting it done with Jack Doohan winning from pole in F3 and Oscar Piastri winning from pole in F2! Would it be too much to ask for another Ricciardo win for an Australian sweep?

Sonic

Quote from: Kytabu on September 26, 2021, 07:31:24 PM
The young Aussies getting it done with Jack Doohan winning from pole in F3 and Oscar Piastri winning from pole in F2! Would it be too much to ask for another Ricciardo win for an Australian sweep?

perhaps... but I'd be very happy to see Lando take the win.

hoping it's a wet race as Lewis just doesn't seem to have the ability to pass anybody these days :S

Sonic

Quote from: Kytabu on September 22, 2021, 01:24:30 PM
I was a week and a half late in making this but it had to be done ;D.

lol...

"that's unfortunate"

skaifeman

Sochi was an eventful race, loved it from start to finish!
Tough luck to Lando, he ran the risk and it bit. Always hard leading in the position, you can't copy. McLaren had the weather in front of them and got him in ala Merc with Lewis.
I must say though, I think Lando has our boys number...

Funny how even after all that, the top two remain the same.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

Red Bull will be rapt. For Verstappen to come away from Monza and Sochi having lost only five points, while also taking an engine penalty, would be much better than they imagined.

Gutted for Lando, that was a class drive. The fastest lap he set showed he had pace in hand to keep Hamilton behind. Great race by Sainz as well to lead for as long as he did and get on the podium.

Kudos to Kimi for getting the Alfa into eighth amidst the chaos.