News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2021 Season

Started by skaifeman, May 14, 2021, 11:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

So Turkey replaced Canada, and now Austria replaces Turkey...
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/austria-to-host-f1-double-header-after-turkish-gp-cancellation/6508481/

Anyone think they won't make it to Aus?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

Quote from: skaifeman on May 14, 2021, 11:20:22 PM
So Turkey replaced Canada, and now Austria replaces Turkey...
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/austria-to-host-f1-double-header-after-turkish-gp-cancellation/6508481/

Anyone think they won't make it to Aus?
Albert Park is far enough off that it has a pretty good shout, IMO.  It does not surprise me that Canada is done.  Just like in the IndyCar Series for Toronto coming up next month.  They are locked down beyond locks.

I always liked the track at Istanbul, but they could never seem to get in good with the rest of the "European Clique" and are on the outside looking in.  COVID reasons aside, I think Turkey is out for more than the reason the article states. 

Two at the A1 Ring - SURE!  That will be more than fine!

Good to see this thread kick off again, too.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Kytabu

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. The fact that Verstappen was in the fight at Bahrain and Barcelona is encouraging given recent history being in Mercedes' favour at those circuits. Monaco is the first of the circuits where Red Bull have typically been stronger relative to Mercedes in the hybrid era, so Max really needs to win there. I think the championship will come down to which driver and team is able to maximise the circuits where their opponent is stronger. I think the biggest advantage Mercedes have at that moment is Bottas being close enough to affect Verstappen's race strategies, while Perez has been too far back to worry Hamilton.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

skaifeman

Quote from: Kytabu on May 15, 2021, 11:14:58 AM
I think the championship will come down to which driver and team is able to maximise the circuits where their opponent is stronger.

Red Bull would be very happy with another event at the A1 Ring.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

IndyCar just canceled their Toronto round in July. 

https://racer.com/2021/05/14/indycar-cancels-toronto-race-for-2021/

I cannot see F1 going to Montreal this year - again.  No way.

Wrighty05

Already announced its not going ahead.

Replaced by Turkey, which then got Covid red listed and has been replaced by a second Austria round

skaifeman

madbugger

If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Kytabu

What a fascinating qualifying session! Such a shame we didn't get to see the final laps play out in Q3. Now we wait for news on Leclerc's gearbox.

Hamilton's car looked horrible. Even worse day for Daniel, P12 and 0.6 behind Lando in Q2.

skaifeman

Quote from: Kytabu on May 23, 2021, 01:04:14 AM
What a fascinating qualifying session! Such a shame we didn't get to see the final laps play out in Q3. Now we wait for news on Leclerc's gearbox.

Hamilton's car looked horrible. Even worse day for Daniel, P12 and 0.6 behind Lando in Q2.

Didn't get any better for Dan :-[.
...or Charles. Ferrari went for the win knowing that if they started 4th they weren't a chance, I bet if they qualify anywhere else other than pole they don't take the risk and replace the gearbox.

Advantage Max, Merc had a shocker and Lewis let them know about it. A bad day for Max is 2nd, this one hurts.

Sonic

saw a bit of the pre-show... is anyone else as ticked as me that a car race is all about anything but?

sucked big time for Charles to not even get to his grid spot! fell asleep shortly after, did I miss much?
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Kytabu

It will be interesting to see if Ferrari can repeat that performance at places like Hungary and Singapore. I certainly wasn't expecting them to be that strong in Monaco. It would add another element to the Verstappen/Hamilton battle if the Ferraris are in the mix at a few races.

How about Bottas' wheel nut? The wheel didn't come off until two days later at the factory!

I don't mind the lack of racing action at Monaco; for me it's about watching the best drivers in the world maximising every millimetre of a circuit that is so unsuitable for modern F1 cars. During qualifying they did a comparison of Max's and Lewis' laps in Q2 and had a freeze frame going into the Nouvelle chicane. With the frame frozen you would say for all money that both would clip the inside wall, but of course with the slip of the cars they just miss it. Same story on the exit of the Swimming Pool; that was a slow-mo of Gasly and the curve of his tyre was virtually in the dip in the armco! That's why I love Monaco and why I think it should stay on the calendar. We have 22 other circuits for racing.

skaifeman

Qualifying certainly has its own 'thing' at Monaco.

Listening to the Beyond the Grid F1 Podcast, one of the interviewees (forget who) told at story about Ayrton (I think it was at Monaco, could be wrong) hitting a wall mid-race.
He came in livid, suggesting the armco had moved that lap. Crew members kind of shrugged their shoulders, what would you think? After investigation they found exactly that, a lap before another car had just clipped the armco and moved it a bees dick... and Artyon didn't quite expect that.

Well said Ky, your post remind me of this story. These guys are so in the groove and have the feel of the car below them to account for every inch of available space.

mikeamerica84

When I was a young man I can remember watching Monaco on network TV.  It was delayed and crammed into a half hour spot on Wide World of Sports. 

Before a short break for a commercial, the camera panned the harbor.  On one of the yacht fantails was a girl sunbathing, face down, completely in her birthday suit.  It was at that time, at age 13, I not only became a fan of F1, but of Monaco annually.

There are races, and then there are "more than" races.  We all have our reasons and memories.

Kytabu

A feel-good podium in Azerbaijan for sure! Perez drove really well under pressure from Hamilton all race to be in the position to win it. Seb drove an awesome race from 11th and it Gasly did well to fight back against Leclerc in the final lap.

Verstappen's tyre failure could be crucial for the season; even though Hamilton also dropped out of the points, an 11-point gain turned into a stalemate. It will be interesting to see the results of the tyre investigations. The right-rear was supposedly the critical tyre in Baku, but it was a pair of left-rears that failed.