News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2021 Season

Started by skaifeman, May 14, 2021, 11:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytabu

I'm worried that Verstappen has taken the Schumacher approach of "I'm ahead in the championship, so I'll win if my rival doesn't score". If Verstappen causes a crash that takes both drivers out of Abu Dhabi, therefore making him champion on countback, it will be very interesting to see what happens. I have a feeling the championship won't be decided until well after the chequered flag.

Going back to Silverstone, if Verstappen stayed wide at Copse and settled for second behind Hamilton, or challenged for the win later, he would be carrying at least an 18-point lead into the final race now. I see a lot of people bringing up Baku and Hungary, but Silverstone was the one incident where Verstappen lost points that he had some control over.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

stp01

I feel the same way. I think the race would be far better if Hamilton had a one point lead. Max has shown since Monza that as long as he has the championship lead (even by countback) he'll happily take them both off the track.
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

Sonic

just saw the Ferrari come out... looks like they have tried to Lewis proof the rear by putting the extra framework on the back ;)
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Kytabu

Well, we're all set for the showdown tomorrow morning. Verstappen on pole with Hamilton alongside, Max starting on softs and Lewis on mediums. Perez starting P4 and Bottas in P6.

skaifeman

Can't wrap my head around Red Bull's tyre choice. Seems they're just expecting the softs to last a lot longer in the night conditions.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

Quote from: skaifeman on December 12, 2021, 10:13:14 AM
Can't wrap my head around Red Bull's tyre choice. Seems they're just expecting the softs to last a lot longer in the night conditions.
Their hand was forced (with Max) when he flat spotted his Mediums in Q2, and they were the ones used on his quickest lap.

To beat Mercedes here, I thought beforehand they would have to do something different.  How did we say at Bathurst in the V8CFL, skaifeman?  Desperate men do desperate things.   ;D
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

kennymiesta

Quote from: Kytabu on December 12, 2021, 07:53:58 AM
Well, we're all set for the showdown tomorrow morning. Verstappen on pole with Hamilton alongside, Max starting on softs and Lewis on mediums. Perez starting P4 and Bottas in P6.
I'm staying off social media and watching when i get home from work. 5am wake up Monday morning will not be fun if I am up until 2am watching race cars. Would be worth it, but not fun.

skaifeman

Quote from: kennymiesta on December 12, 2021, 02:15:53 PM
I'm staying off social media and watching when i get home from work. 5am wake up Monday morning will not be fun if I am up until 2am watching race cars. Would be worth it, but not fun.

I'm in the same boat Kenny. But work be damned!

@Mike, yeah I figured they could just bolt on a new set of mediums and go again? Obviously not. I'm not all over the amount of tyres given etc, so I'd say you're likely right.
I have no doubt Red Bull have a plan though.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

Quote from: skaifeman on December 12, 2021, 02:19:05 PM
Quote from: kennymiesta on December 12, 2021, 02:15:53 PM

I'm in the same boat Kenny. But work be damned!

@Mike, yeah I figured they could just bolt on a new set of mediums and go again? Obviously not. I'm not all over the amount of tyres given etc, so I'd say you're likely right.
I have no doubt Red Bull have a plan though.
Over here, the green flag drops (five red lights out) at around 0800 hours.  I can catch it in my pajamas whilst drinking my morning joe.  What differences from each side of the planet as we spin around our Sun.

Red Bull will be quick out of the box, skaifey, but running softs on a full fuel load vice the Mercs running softs on a low load late.... Hell.... who knows WHAT might happen.  Opposite ends of the spectrum are going to meet and go through each other somewhere tomorrow!  This won't be a follow-the-leader caper for sure!

Sonic

seems there have been a reasonable amount of incidents again though at this event which have required barrier repair/red flags...

not how you want a title decider to happen (if one of them gets a free kick changing tyres under red flag) but it is certainly a possibility
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

I know he doesn't need it, but Max should go buy a lotto ticket. Nothing but luck.

It's a season long though, well deserved. He had to beat the best.

Kytabu

Regardless of who they support, I think everyone can agree that the officialdom have been woeful in F1 this year.

Not a great way to see the championship end, but I feel that the luck Verstappen had this morning balances out with some of the luck Hamilton had with red flags earlier in the season.

the undertaker

Bloody good to see Mercedes Benz on the receiving end. Now they know how Liam Lawson felt after being on the receiving end of Mercedes Benz dirty tactics in the DTM. Couldn't happen to a "nicer" company

Ospif1

What we saw was the ineptitude of race control and their inability to work well under pressure. Masi was stumbling over himself, clearly flustered on the radio and backtracked on his decisions before finally making a decision which broke their own regulation for the sake of creating some action to the major detriment of the dominant driver of the race. You can't have that kind of hesitation and lack of clarity in a policing position within the sport. Masi is not fit for the role.

mikeamerica84

The Abu Dhabi jist:

Mercedes protested the result of the race after Verstappen passed Lewis Hamilton on the final lap, claiming the race shouldn't have restarted for one lap as the order to let lapped cars overtake the safety car had only just been given. The regulations state the safety car should be called in at the end of the following lap, but the Mercedes protest was dismissed as the stewards felt the regulations give race director Michael Masi full control over the safety car and its withdrawal.

Shortly after the protest was dismissed, Mercedes served notice of its intention to appeal, something Horner says his team is ready for.

https://racer.com/2021/12/12/red-bull-will-fight-mercedes-appeal-horner/