News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

After the crash...

Started by Yamarocket630, November 05, 2022, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamarocket630

Are their any rules around whether cars that have to be removed from the track by recovery vehicles cannot being returned to the pits for (potential) repairs?

I've seen races where cars are returned to the pits (Gold Coast last week) and at times the teams repair them enough to attempt to get the qualified as finishing, and other times like this year's Bathurst lap 4 crash where the Tickford, Erebus, and BJR cars were parked in a locked section of the paddock and left to sit for the duration of the race.

It seems the teams would want the opportunity to at least evaluate the cars potential to be repaired.

Is this a decision the teams have to make based on what they see from the coverage?  Or is it if the car cant make it back to the pits under its own power it isnt allowed to continue?

If there is a rule about this, I've never heard it mentioned.

fordman

I would think if they could get back to the pits under their own steam they can be repaired but if they get trucked back thats "outside assistance" and thats against the rules I believe????

murph_fan51

I do wonder this also.
I had a quick look in the sporting rules but didn't see anything.

https://www.supercars.com/championship/rules-and-regulations/operations-manual/
debris debris debris

mikeamerica84

An interesting topic to discuss, rocket.  One thing Supercars has is the 75% lap completion policy:  If you do not make that many laps, no points, so that factors in.  Also, under red flag, can the teams touch the car?  Most motorsports series do not allow it.

NASCAR, on the other hand, now has the damaged car policy wherein if you go to the garage due to crash damage, you are done.  You can have a period of time to try and fix it on pit road and then make minimum speed (given a few laps) or you are also done.  You also can only remove body parts - not add.  Only tape can be added.  You might get away with a bungee cord.

F1, you have to get back to the pits under your own steam.

IndyCar allows for remote restarting of the cars by the safety crews, but that is not crash damage.

We need to go to the V8 Central Stat Man:  Kye?
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Yamarocket630

Skaife and Crompo love to quote the rules but I've never heard them mention this.

I know Ive seen cars that were delivered on a tow truck back to the pits being worked on during the race, but maybe that was a Saturday race and the teams were trying to be sure the car would be ready for Sunday.

TheArrow

Also had a (very) quick look at the regs and couldn't see anything but I remember Ade 2016 when Slade was stranded on track, he was adamant he did not want to be put on the tilt tray because it meant he could not return to the track.

General understanding is once put on the back of a truck, you're out.