News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

SVG Future

Started by AlbertM, November 06, 2022, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbertM

Shane wants to see if Gen 3 is boring before thinking about moving on from Supercars.

Scotty would like to see him in Indycar. I would too, I have given Indycar a bit more attention since SM entered the series.

My thoughts are he is stuck in Supercars though. Unlike McLaughlin, SVG is not being groomed for another category.  He'd have to start from the bottom and I don't think he has the mentality to do that. Shane is great when he leading with a car that can do what he wants with it. But when he knows he has no chance, he gives up. By that I mean chasing a championship, not individual races.
Ford Faithful

fordman

Quote from: AlbertM on November 06, 2022, 01:07:03 PM
Shane wants to see if Gen 3 is boring before thinking about moving on from Supercars.

Scotty would like to see him in Indycar. I would too, I have given Indycar a bit more attention since SM entered the series.

My thoughts are he is stuck in Supercars though. Unlike McLaughlin, SVG is not being groomed for another category.  He'd have to start from the bottom and I don't think he has the mentality to do that. Shane is great when he leading with a car that can do what he wants with it. But when he knows he has no chance, he gives up. By that I mean chasing a championship, not individual races.

A lot of champion drivers are reluctant to move categories unless they can go into a front running team/car and they are rare to fnd.SM had Penske in his corner who has SVG??? Red Bull can they open any doors for him???

Zac

SVG is hardly "stuck in Supercars". While not "being groomed for another category", in the past year or two he's competed in a Ferrari and a McLaren at Sebring, Daytona, Spa and Le Mans and recently been rallying competitively. He also may not want to take up any full-time career overseas and might choose to stay here. Much like those before him (Brock, Johnson, Moffat and others who reached the top here and raced overseas but chose not to chase a racing career OS), he could well stay here. If anything, he seems more likely to go rallying, but who knows? I doubt that he does right now. Scott McLaughlin has made Indycars more interesting for many of us, and if Shane did take up a career in any international category, he would do the same, however, it looks like he'll be here for Gen3 next year at least with some rallying when time allows. I doubt that he'd go to Indycars or even NASCAR, and by May next year at age 34 , it'll probably be too late to start a new career. Mostert, Waters, Davison and the rest may have to put up with him for a while yet.     

fordman

Quote from: Zac on November 06, 2022, 07:32:20 PM
SVG is hardly "stuck in Supercars". While not "being groomed for another category", in the past year or two he's competed in a Ferrari and a McLaren at Sebring, Daytona, Spa and Le Mans and recently been rallying competitively. He also may not want to take up any full-time career overseas and might choose to stay here. Much like those before him (Brock, Johnson, Moffat and others who reached the top here and raced overseas but chose not to chase a racing career OS), he could well stay here. If anything, he seems more likely to go rallying, but who knows? I doubt that he does right now. Scott McLaughlin has made Indycars more interesting for many of us, and if Shane did take up a career in any international category, he would do the same, however, it looks like he'll be here for Gen3 next year at least with some rallying when time allows. I doubt that he'd go to Indycars or even NASCAR, and by May next year at age 34 , it'll probably be too late to start a new career. Mostert, Waters, Davison and the rest may have to put up with him for a while yet.   

His age may play a role ??? his skill is not questionable, but what doors are open OS?? and we all now its also about backing what can he bring?

skaifeman

Unless Red Bull want to take him places he won't go. Too old to start anything new overseas.
Best he can hope for is anything "wildcard" like in Australiasia or some GT3 gigs as a 2nd/3rd driver - both of which he may get his hands on. Nothing full-time though.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

AlbertM

SVG put the question out there. He won't commit to supercars until he experiences Gen 3. If it is not to his liking what options does he have?

You're probably right, he's left it too late to go any where and he's putting out red herrings for media attention.
Ford Faithful

Troy01505

He may have left it to late to make a career out of international driving but He is highly sort after in numerous categories around the globe.

I'd love to see him race overseas as I have no  doubt the fella would be at the pointy end in almost anything.

LG

Quote from: AlbertM on November 08, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
SVG put the question out there. He won't commit to supercars until he experiences Gen 3. If it is not to his liking what options does he have?

You're probably right, he's left it too late to go any where and he's putting out red herrings for media attention.

He could always rehash an earlier option that he took...   ;)

stevo qld

Technically, and in reality, SVG is already racing overseas in Australia.  ;D

SVG is in a comfortable position, well paid, in a competitive car and enjoying racing.

There are also personal considerations where relocating could case upheaval for another.

888 are very good about letting him race in other locations and series.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Ospif1

He would be snapped up by a WEC team in seconds without question.  In his only LMP2 outing he was matching the rapid and highly rated Nick Cassidy and had a Le Mans run lined up with the team as well before Covid shut it all down.

Without a doubt a relatively long and successful sportscar career would be feasible. 

I could see NASCAR giving him a shot as well.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Ospif1 on November 08, 2022, 10:53:19 PM
I could see NASCAR giving him a shot as well.
Keep one eye on this:  Trackhouse Racing.

On May 24, 2022, Trackhouse announced the creation of Project91, a part-time entry that aims to put international drivers behind the wheel in the Cup Series. The team is due to compete in at least one race during the 2022 season, with the driver and the race yet to be announced, before adding additional races in the 2023 season. Two days later, it was announced that former Formula 1 World Champion Kimi Räikkönen would be driving the No. 91 car at Watkins Glen. Räikkönen finished 37th after crashing on the tire barrier past the bus-stop chicane on lap 45.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackhouse_Racing_Team
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

mikeamerica84

From www.racer.com.  This is part of the Mailbag wherein fans can write in and discuss motorsport.  The responder is racer.com's Marshall Pruett:

Q: Scott McLaughlin recently flew to Australia to attend the Gold Coast 500 at the Surfers Paradise street circuit. His former rival and fellow Kiwi Shane van Gisbergen won both races and proceeded to do a burnout in front of McLaughlin.

With the dominance of SVG in Supercars, their fans and some in the Supercars circle have been lamenting the loss of Scott McLaughlin to IndyCar. They are saying the dominance of SVG is attributed to the move of McLaughlin to IndyCar and the retirement of Jamie Whincup.

With McLaughlin having signed a multi-year extension this fall with Penske's IndyCar outfit, a return to Supercars anytime soon is unlikely. So I was thinking of an interesting prospect, one which McLaughlin himself as spoken of: SVG in IndyCars. McLaughlin has stated he would like to see his former rival SVG in IndyCar. At 6'2″ some have said SVG is too tall for IndyCar, but I will remind the naysayers that the late Justin Wilson was even taller at 6'4″.

I think it would be an interesting storyline if an IndyCar team gave SVG a test with the possibility of racing in the series full-time. Fanciful thinking?

Ken, Thunder Bay, ON

MP: Yes, we discussed this a few weeks back in the Mailbag. It's not Shane's height but his width at the shoulders that makes his fit a question until he gives it a try. I'd love to hear about an IndyCar team giving Shane a run, right after I hear about a team giving 2022 Indy Lights champion Linus Lundqvist a test and race seat.

https://racer.com/2022/11/09/the-racer-mailbag-november-9/3/
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

stp01

It's a good point about his shoulder width. I thought his height might be a problem, but I recently saw that Wilson was 6'4", and Rossi and Rahal are also 6'2".

Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

djr18fan

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on November 09, 2022, 12:03:51 AM
Quote from: Ospif1 on November 08, 2022, 10:53:19 PMI could see NASCAR giving him a shot as well.
Keep one eye on this:  Trackhouse Racing.

On May 24, 2022, Trackhouse announced the creation of Project91, a part-time entry that aims to put international drivers behind the wheel in the Cup Series. The team is due to compete in at least one race during the 2022 season, with the driver and the race yet to be announced, before adding additional races in the 2023 season. Two days later, it was announced that former Formula 1 World Champion Kimi Räikkönen would be driving the No. 91 car at Watkins Glen. Räikkönen finished 37th after crashing on the tire barrier past the bus-stop chicane on lap 45.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackhouse_Racing_Team
You called it Mike.

Sonic

Quote from: skaifeman on November 07, 2022, 09:16:18 AMUnless Red Bull want to take him places he won't go. Too old to start anything new overseas.
Best he can hope for is anything "wildcard" like in Australiasia or some GT3 gigs as a 2nd/3rd driver - both of which he may get his hands on. Nothing full-time though.

yeah... guess you're right... ;) :P :D LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!