News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

2023 IndyCar Season

Started by mikeamerica84, November 19, 2022, 12:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

I'll start a new thread for this.
Here is an article from www.racer.com concerning the IndyCar silly season.  I won't bother you with all of the ongoings, but here are a couple that might get your attention.  If you wish to read the whole article:  https://racer.com/2022/11/18/pruett-indycar-silly-season-update-november-edition/

IndyCar Silly Season Update, November Edition
By Marshall Pruett | November 18, 2022 7:47 AM ET

.....The perfect candidate was one who possessed strong driving skills and an equally strong ability to fund the car; as expected, joining one of IndyCar's top two teams comes with a financial premium. That perfect candidate looked like Williams Formula 1 driver Nicholas Latifi, but in recent weeks, I've heard conversations with the Canadian reached a quiet end.

.....If there's one race-winning F2 driver that seems to have a decent chance of joining the grid, it's Marcus Armstrong at DCR. There's still nothing significant to share in terms of whether it will indeed happen, but the New Zealander is said to remain in the mix to drive for the team. Whether it would be in a full-time capacity in the No. 51 Honda or limited to the road races is unknown, and as I wrote in the last update or two, he's not the only driver on the list who is capable of bringing some funding to the seat. I also continue to wait to hear on Takuma Sato's confirmation as an oval-only driver for DCR.

.....Let's close with what could be a fun one, if and when it gets confirmed. Team Penske's Scott McLaughlin took to social media this week to tease his need to learn Daytona's roval circuit, and from what I've learned, he'll be competing in his first Rolex 24 At Daytona in January in the LMP2 class. Even better, I'm told it will be a #BusBros-themed driver lineup with Penske teammate Josef Newgarden in the same car.

And if that isn't enough of a party, the final bit might be the coolest of all as McLaughlin and Newgarden are said to be continuing their LMP2 adventure together after Daytona where they're meant to make their debut at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the middle of June on the great endurance event's 100th anniversary.

From conversations I've been part of regarding IndyCar-grade drivers being considered for factory GTP seats at major endurance races, most manufacturers have been very strict in their requirements for the McLaughlins and Newgardens of the world to first gain experience in similar cars at big events before the door would opened to racing in those factory cars at Daytona, Sebring, and Le Mans. This has a similar feel.

Assuming everything moves forward for Penske's IndyCar stars at Daytona and Le Mans 2023 – and it's with an excellent LMP2 team – I would not be surprised to see their names listed as enduro drivers with the Porsche Penske Motorsport GTP program or one of its customer teams in 2024.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

skaifeman

Cool news for McLaughlin, I was wondering what he was hinting at with the track map on socials.
Penske continues to open doors for him, and he continues to prove why.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

Another Kiwi in IndyCars!

Armstrong Joins Ganassi for IndyCar Road/Street Courses
By Marshall Pruett | December 2, 2022 12:04 PM ET

​Chip Ganassi Racing will welcome another New Zealander to its team with the signing of Formula 2 veteran Marcus Armstrong to pilot its fourth entry on road and street courses. RACER understands the team continues to seek a driver to share the No. 11 Honda with Armstrong at the five oval rounds and could have something to announce before the end of the month.

Together, they ​are replacing Jimmie Johnson, who drove the former No. 48 entry in all 17 races last season before calling time on his IndyCar efforts and moving into NASCAR team ownership with the Petty GMS Motorsports organization.

"I'm ecstatic to be a part of the IndyCar Series, but especially with Chip Ganassi Racing because it is such an iconic and successful team," said Armstrong.

"I have an extraordinary opportunity in front of me to learn from people that have been performing at the absolute highest level in this sport. As a Kiwi, I've always watched Scott Dixon succeed in the championship with this team, so on a personal level this is quite special for me. I am a hard worker that looks to improve every single day. With the knowledge and personnel that this team has, I'm very excited to take on this new challenge."

In three seasons of F2, Armstrong earned four wins and eight podiums while placing 13th in the standings for three different teams. Continuing the theme of threes, Armstrong raises the count to three Kiwis in IndyCar, joining CGR's Scott Dixon and Team Penske's Scott McLaughlin in representing the small Antipodean nation.

The 22-year-old arrives in IndyCar with an extensive amount of junior open-wheel training, which ramped up heavily in 2017 and included racing in Germany, Italy, and the FIA Formula 3 series before graduating to F2. Armstrong will spend his rookie season learning from reigning Indy 500 winner Marcus Ericsson in the No. 8 Honda, six-time IndyCar champion and 2008 Indy 500 winner Dixon in the No. 9, and 2021 IndyCar champion Alex Palou in the No. 10 entry.

"Marcus driving the No. 11 car for Chip Ganassi Racing in 2023 is exciting," said CGR managing director Mike Hull.

"As a 22-year-old, what is in common to others who have climbed into IndyCar with CGR is that at that age he already knows how to win. That's been repeatedly proven at the highest global level. Besides talent, the intangible that he brings creates measurement through opportunity. Bring on 2023!"

With CGR's fourth car close to being solidified, IndyCar's full-time entry is left with two cars in need of drivers, led by Dale Coyne Racing with Rick Ware Racing's No. 51 Honda and Juncos Hollinger Racing's No. 78 Chevy. On its current trajectory, the 2023 IndyCar season is set for its largest field in many years with a minimum of 27 set for every round.

------------

https://racer.com/2022/12/02/armstrong-joins-ganassi-for-indycar-road-street-courses/

mikeamerica84

Not so much IndyCar, but I figured this was a good place to dump this article & link:

Newgarden and McLaughlin to Run Rolex 24 with Tower Motorsports
By Marshall Pruett | December 5, 2022 10:19 AM ET

Two-time NTT IndyCar Series champion Josef Newgarden and his Team Penske teammate, three-time Australian Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin, have been confirmed for their first Rolex 24 At Daytona appearance with Tower Motorsports.

The IndyCar stars join Chip Ganassi Racing development driver Kyffin Simpson and team owner/defending IMSA LMP2 champion John Farano in the No. 8 ORECA 07-Gibson V8.

"This is definitely an event that was on my bucket list, along with the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so I am beyond grateful for this opportunity," Newgarden said. "We're a group of very competitive people, and we all want to win," said Newgarden. "I think this is a very exciting challenge and I believe this team can accomplish great things together. I have a close relationship with Scott (McLaughlin) as well and I couldn't be happier to be doing this with him as teammates."

McLaughlin added, "I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to race with this amazing group of drivers. This is a stellar lineup and a perfect chance to show what we can do together. This is a proven crew that clearly knows how to win races, and that's exactly what we're setting out to accomplish at Daytona."

For Simpson, who will spend another season in Indy NXT under the guidance of HMD Motorsports, a return to IMSA, where he was part of the winning GTD team in October at Petit Le Mans, in an LMP2 car will be a step up in the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

"I'm proud to join Tower Motorsports in the LMP2 class at the 24 Hours of Daytona," he said. "I'm thankful for John Farano's support and am counting down the days to join him, Josef, Scott and the entire team. We're looking forward to putting our best foot forward with our eyes set on victory lane."

The new lineup presents Farano with a proper chance of finding success at IMSA's season opener.

"Following last year's successful season, we know we have the potential to challenge for a win at Daytona," he said. "There's nothing we want more than to expand on our strengths and pick up some more hardware when we cross that finish line.

"I'm elated to partner with Josef and Scott, who are seasoned pros and will undoubtedly bring that added spark and determination to the Team. I am equally excited to welcome the very talented Kyffin Simpson to our Team and looking forward to sharing our car with him for all the IMSA Michelin Endurance Cup races."

https://racer.com/2022/12/05/newgarden-and-mclaughlin-to-run-rolex-24-with-tower-motorsports/

mikeamerica84

I do not know how this will play into effect, but here is a little info for 2023 TV coverage:

https://racer.com/2023/02/14/indycar-expands-international-tv-reach-for-2023/

mikeamerica84

meha

I still find time to watch the highlights of the series as they show a good half hour on youtube a few days after the race. It is not bad but for free coverage there is no complaining.

LG

Scotty Mac takes his first win of the season.

mikeamerica84

LG

Seems like Scotty Mc loves his country music.
He has pole again at Nashville.

madbugger

Not quite there in the end, 2nd place for 2nd year in a row.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.