News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2021

Started by skaifeman, May 18, 2021, 08:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy01505

Quote from: Roadways6 on September 25, 2021, 07:23:18 PM
Quote from: SetonFan on September 25, 2021, 05:47:46 PM

It's embarrassing that NSW only has these two circuits to fill the gap.

Blame Supercars and the Iemma NSW Labour government for that. There was an Oran park replacement set to go, land acquired and willingness there, but they wanted some government help but the funding went to the Homebush street race instead....

The only thing stopping Supercars racing at Wakefield is the ridiculous ego of the Supercars organisation.

Lucky that! Funding Homebush wasn't the smartest idea they had.

Looking forward to 6 days of Bathurst though, holidays booked, can't wait!

CP

Quote from: Troy01505 on September 26, 2021, 08:30:09 AM
Quote from: Roadways6 on September 25, 2021, 07:23:18 PM
Quote from: SetonFan on September 25, 2021, 05:47:46 PM

It's embarrassing that NSW only has these two circuits to fill the gap.

Blame Supercars and the Iemma NSW Labour government for that. There was an Oran park replacement set to go, land acquired and willingness there, but they wanted some government help but the funding went to the Homebush street race instead....

The only thing stopping Supercars racing at Wakefield is the ridiculous ego of the Supercars organisation.

Lucky that! Funding Homebush wasn't the smartest idea they had.

To be fair, the funding for that came at the same time that a few notable Ministers/prison inmates were drawing mining leases out of a hat for their mates.

Hopefully there's a variety of formats and layouts used at Eastern Creek. Otherwise four rounds of the same format and same track could become quite stale.

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

Pretty disappointing to see that the first three SMP events will all use a 3 x 125km format. The tyre allocation is different at each event but it would have been nice to see some variance in race length. It doesn't look like the short circuit will be used either.

https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/formats-tyres-confirmed-for-sydney-events/
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Sonic

Quote from: Kytabu on October 01, 2021, 01:39:44 PM
Pretty disappointing to see that the first three SMP events will all use a 3 x 125km format. The tyre allocation is different at each event but it would have been nice to see some variance in race length. It doesn't look like the short circuit will be used either.

https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/formats-tyres-confirmed-for-sydney-events/

Yup. Way to go SC :(

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/01/one-layout-for-smp-quadruple-header/
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Sonic

and this too...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/01/refuelling-radical-tyre-allocation-for-fourth-smp-supercars-event/

mix of compounds but you are not allowed to use the softs during prac/quali... why not let them use them? get a vibe on how they play but at the same time risk losing time on them in the race if they use them too much.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Troy01505

Quote from: Sonic on October 01, 2021, 03:59:55 PM
and this too...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/01/refuelling-radical-tyre-allocation-for-fourth-smp-supercars-event/

mix of compounds but you are not allowed to use the softs during prac/quali... why not let them use them? get a vibe on how they play but at the same time risk losing time on them in the race if they use them too much.

Agree. Supercars management prefer the lottery top victories but I think it just hurts the young inexperienced guys with little data.

Joe5619

and this too...

I HATE mixed tyre races with a passion.. It creates fake winners & if I was a driver I'd be embarrassed to except a trophy knowing I only won because I use all my softs when others didn't.

With so many ways to spicy up the races, why choice this one..

SetonFan

I don't think that mixed tyre format for the 2x250 is anywhere near as bad as last year - it's one set per race so even for everyone and no different to F1 or something where two compounds need to be used. With a low chance of safety car there also could be some variance rather than everyone leaving them to the end.

Even for the sprint rounds, they have 5 sets of soft tyres for the weekend which shouldn't create the 2020 lottery when they had 2 sets for 3 races from memory.

stevo qld

The big question remains: How many of the Sydney shows will be considered so boring by Channel 7 that they will only transmit about 30 minutes of racing per day, and probably after midnight if previous efforts are taken into account?

For a state that has to subsidise a Supercars team to even get one to move to NSW and got no takers from top 10 teams (top 20 maybe) to move and take the subsidies, it seems that NSW fans, and I believe there are a few, get preference over the genuine Supercar Team States, Victoria and Queensland.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Well, at least we are getting the 2021 season going again.  No matter how SC does it, it is an uptick in my eyes.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

murph_fan51

Quote from: Joe5619 on October 02, 2021, 01:49:26 PM
and this too...

I HATE mixed tyre races with a passion.. It creates fake winners & if I was a driver I'd be embarrassed to except a trophy knowing I only won because I use all my softs when others didn't.

With so many ways to spicy up the races, why choice this one..
The rules are the same for everyone and everyone has the same tyre allocation so I don't see it being a big of a deal?

What would be your choice?

Also why have Supercars never used the Brabham circuit?
debris debris debris

AlbertM

I guessing it would cost to use different layouts. Set up of track marshalls, flag points, broadcast equipment..etc

Supercars doing the bare minimum before the sale to see the season out.
Ford Faithful

kennymiesta

I am ok with mixed tyres, provided that they move back to a Round winner basis instead of a Race winner basis. If you are going to base results off when people do and don't use allocated rubber, you need to make the whole weekend the decider of the winner.
That being said, I wish they had done something different weekend to weekend. I know they have mixed the tyre allocation for the first 3 weekends, but I'm not sure it's enough to create good racing come week 3. I understand the costs of running different circuit configurations, so I know why this wasn't a possibility. If I had my way, I would have used a mix of races over the 4 weekends.

Week 1: 3 x 125km races, all Soft Tyres
Week 2: 4 x 60km sprints (no pitstops) - Super Soft Tyres
Week 3: 1 x 100km race, 1 x 200km race (200km race must use min. 2 x compounds, from the 3 options (Super Soft, Soft or Hard))
Week 4: 2 x 250km race

I know there are reasons why this may not be an option due to costs, tyre supply etc. but I think it would sure spice it up.

CP

Quote from: stevo qld on October 02, 2021, 07:40:42 PM
The big question remains: How many of the Sydney shows will be considered so boring by Channel 7 that they will only transmit about 30 minutes of racing per day, and probably after midnight if previous efforts are taken into account?

At least two of them. ;)