News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Ford IN for one more year

Started by skaifeman, September 20, 2023, 09:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

Quote from: AlbertM on October 11, 2023, 11:20:59 PMFord have walked back their commitment to 2024. The off-season could get interesting.

As a lifelong FORD supporter, I for one would be happy to see them leave. Hopefully it is then a catalyst for turning the current crapshow into something that is no longer a GM centric series.

I always thought rather than Gen 3 a move towards GT racing would have been preferable. Multiple manufacturers, a set of rules that are relatively standard worldwide, similar lap times to Supercars, cars that although out of the budget of most fans, still relevant and recognisable. Non of the parity bull@$#% that goes on with supercars, just pick a vehicle and deal with its strengths and weaknesses at different tracks. I think most races are a timed event, so none of this crap with races cut short by 2 or 3 laps due to safety car.

Also a chance to get rid of the closed shop that it now is, if you have a car that is homologated to race, turn up and qualify, if you make the cut you race, if you don't you go home.

To me it seemed like a no brainer, but those in charge deemed it better to reinvent the wheel, and they didn't do that good a job of it.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

Quote from: Woodzy on October 11, 2023, 09:13:20 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on October 08, 2023, 05:55:10 PM
Quote from: Woodzy on October 08, 2023, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: Troy01505 on October 08, 2023, 12:42:55 PM
Quote from: Dasha on October 08, 2023, 11:06:54 AMOK i have tried to keep a positive attitude all year but after watching GM win all but one race this year & the pathetic attempt by supercars to look like they want to rectify the advantage GM have is just not good enough.
This has been going on now since the 90's.
Just look at how quick they slowed all the Mustangs when Scotty McLaughlin enjoyed a good year & which gave GM back the advantage.

I have a question to ALL the GM fans here on V8 Central. "Be completely honest & ask yourself how would you feel if things where reversed & the Mustangs had won all but one race this year. "Do you guys honestly think that what is going on with this so called parity is right, or for the good of the sport do you think that Supercars should have given the Mustangs what is needed so we can all enjoy some even close racing between both brands.

I have been watching the events at Bathurst & I am completely blown away by the way the commentators are trying to speak it up that everything is all good.
I wont mention the commentators name that said after the last qualifying before the top ten shootout "said something like "Theres no problem with parity" i thought "you have got to be kidding".

I did get my hopes up when the Ford teams tried to get the new areo package in the hope for a chance to keep up with the Camaro,s but should've known better.
I really didn't think i would see things get this bad, at least now it is clear & open to everyone that this sport is "corrupt" yes that is a heavy word but there's no other way to describe what we have witnessed this year.

Shame shame shame supercars, it will be a hollow win to the Camaros today.

No more hollow then 2019s Ford victory

The one that #17 was going to win regardless?
DJRTP certainly didn't think so...

Huh? It was so #12 didn't stack and lose positions.

Just for those with short memories:
https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/burning-questions-bathurst-1000-scandal/4562384/
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/10/20/djrtp-team-orders-decision-evidence-and-relevant-submissions/

Quote from: madbugger on October 12, 2023, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on October 11, 2023, 11:20:59 PMFord have walked back their commitment to 2024. The off-season could get interesting.

As a lifelong FORD supporter, I for one would be happy to see them leave. Hopefully it is then a catalyst for turning the current crapshow into something that is no longer a GM centric series.

I always thought rather than Gen 3 a move towards GT racing would have been preferable. Multiple manufacturers, a set of rules that are relatively standard worldwide, similar lap times to Supercars, cars that although out of the budget of most fans, still relevant and recognisable. Non of the parity bull@$#% that goes on with supercars, just pick a vehicle and deal with its strengths and weaknesses at different tracks. I think most races are a timed event, so none of this crap with races cut short by 2 or 3 laps due to safety car.

Also a chance to get rid of the closed shop that it now is, if you have a car that is homologated to race, turn up and qualify, if you make the cut you race, if you don't you go home.

To me it seemed like a no brainer, but those in charge deemed it better to reinvent the wheel, and they didn't do that good a job of it.

Putting the P word aside for the moment (and the shambles its been), it's not just Supercars/RACE, and no wheel re-invention has been made, it's been generally these rules since Moff/Larry and a host of others all got together to guarantee their income.

The teams have been involved in the process as former REC/shareholders and now TRC/charter owners. They all agreed to the rules and knew what they were going into. Changing minor details as some teams have requested (with hindsight), doesn't change the whole picture, just a small piece. The general gist of the series/regulations is exactly what they all wanted - if they didn't they all know who they can sell to (Adderton).

They still control a basis of things, such as impromptu parity reviews (as seen recently), whether to accept another charter or not etc.
I highly doubt that any of these teams will let the series die, otherwise all their assets and their charter would be rendered worthless.
Moving away from the charter also means that they cut off their guaranteed income.

It's going to be a bloody shame if Ford do leave, but from a business perspective, we want a sport that shouldn't rely on manufacturer $$$ - however scaring away manufacturers isn't a great business model by any means.

The question I have for you is, if the parity wasn't an issue, would you still be so dismayed with the series?
People have been calling for it's head since, sheesh, when did I start reading this forum, 2007?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

LG

DJRTP went more extreme than previous teams who had employed similar tactics.
There was no subtlety about it which turned out to be the problem.

Anyhow, none of this is really relevant to the topic.

murph_fan51

It's all talk. Just like this beauty a few years back:

https://autoaction.com.au/2018/03/22/penske-threatens-switch-to-holden
debris debris debris

fordman

Well if Ford reps were in the crowd on Saturday at top 10 shoot out time they might be a little concerned?

the local announcer was trying to gee the crowd up with a bit of banter, called for all the Camaro fans to give a cheer, it was a halfhearted response, so he gave it another go and a slight improvement. Then he called for Ford fans to cheer, was a almost silence, this took the announcer by surprise and tried again and similar results, this again shocked him and was baffled by the lack of response, so he quickly moved on. Sunday he tried again and had a little dig at Ford fans about the day be fore's efforts and got only a slight improvement. Again he was baffled by the lack of response.
The general feeling I had was Fords fans were not hopeful of a win and it showed by their lack of enthusiasm?
Had Ford reps seen/heard this they may see something????
Will say though the cheer for the Camaro wasn't all that loud neither. Yet the announcer both local and TV kept claiming huge rivalry etc. What I noticed was more support for the individual drivers.

skaifeman

Quote from: fordman on October 13, 2023, 07:26:37 AMWell if Ford reps were in the crowd on Saturday at top 10 shoot out time they might be a little concerned?

the local announcer was trying to gee the crowd up with a bit of banter, called for all the Camaro fans to give a cheer, it was a halfhearted response, so he gave it another go and a slight improvement. Then he called for Ford fans to cheer, was a almost silence, this took the announcer by surprise and tried again and similar results, this again shocked him and was baffled by the lack of response, so he quickly moved on. Sunday he tried again and had a little dig at Ford fans about the day be fore's efforts and got only a slight improvement. Again he was baffled by the lack of response.
The general feeling I had was Fords fans were not hopeful of a win and it showed by their lack of enthusiasm?
Had Ford reps seen/heard this they may see something????
Will say though the cheer for the Camaro wasn't all that loud neither. Yet the announcer both local and TV kept claiming huge rivalry etc. What I noticed was more support for the individual drivers.
To be fair I wouldn't cheer either. If I wanted to fan girl I'd go to a football match.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Alan59

I was up at Skyline for the Shootout and although I find that Ford v GM tribal hyping pretty stupid a lot of the Bathurst crowd don't.Much more prevalent at Bathurst than a normal Championship round.
And yes the GM support was much greater than the Ford support up there.

AlbertM

Quote from: murph_fan51 on October 12, 2023, 05:59:16 PM
It's all talk. Just like this beauty a few years back:

https://autoaction.com.au/2018/03/22/penske-threatens-switch-to-holden

And? Penske threatened, Ford responded. We are yet to see how Supercars responds to Ford.
Ford Faithful

Woodzy

Quote from: skaifeman on October 12, 2023, 11:54:12 AM
Quote from: Dasha on October 08, 2023, 11:06:54 AMOK i have tried to keep a positive attitude all year but after watching GM win all but one race this year & the pathetic attempt by supercars to look like they want to rectify the advantage GM have is just not good enough.
Just look at how quick they slowed all the Mustangs when Scotty McLaughlin enjoyed a good year & which gave GM back the advantage.

I have a question to ALL the GM fans here on V8 Central. "Be completely honest & ask yourself how would you feel if things where reversed & the Mustangs had won all but one race this year. "Do you guys honestly think that what is going on with this so called parity is right, or for the good of the sport do you think that Supercars should have given the Mustangs what is needed so we can all enjoy some even close racing between both brands.

I have been watching the events at Bathurst & I am completely blown away by the way the commentators are trying to speak it up that everything is all good.
I wont mention the commentators name that said after the last qualifying before the top ten shootout "said something like "Theres no problem with parity" i thought "you have got to be kidding".

I did get my hopes up when the Ford teams tried to get the new areo package in the hope for a chance to keep up with the Camaro,s but should've known better.
I really didn't think i would see things get this bad, at least now it is clear & open to everyone that this sport is "corrupt" yes that is a heavy word but there's no other way to describe what we have witnessed this year.

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/burning-questions-bathurst-1000-scandal/4562384/
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/10/20/djrtp-team-orders-decision-evidence-and-relevant-submissions/

I believe  most people are fully aware of what happened and there is no evidence in those articles to say that the slowing down of Car #12 was to help Car #17 to win or the reason they won.

Alan59

Quote from: Woodzy on October 16, 2023, 08:37:50 AM
Quote from: skaifeman on October 12, 2023, 11:54:12 AM

I believe  most people are fully aware of what happened and there is no evidence in those articles to say that the slowing down of Car #12 was to help Car #17 to win or the reason they won.

Literacy test needed.Read the first article again.There is a whole section on why the team bosses were upset because this was done to protect McLaughlin.Try and understand it made no difference to the time Coulthard left the pits whether he was double stacking behind McLaughlin or crawling down Conrod.
It was transparent cheating.I was at the track and was aware of the fill times needed by the different cars.The moment I saw Coulthard crawling down Conrod I said to the person next to me that he was doing it to give McLaughlin the win by delaying the other cars with shorter fuel fill times reaching their pits.No wonder the Penske team boss had an attack of the guilts shortly after and basically left the sport.

stevo qld

How about back to the topic?

Does any of this guff have anything to do with Ford continuing for another year (or more), or not continuing for another year?
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN