News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

2023 Boost Mobile Gold Coast - discussion & spoilers

Started by Trevor, October 24, 2023, 06:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

Quote from: madbugger on November 01, 2023, 07:15:57 AMTh incident also highlights the issue of drivers still travelling at full noise to catch the train when there are yellow flags and/or a safety car on track. I have believed for a long time that some kind of system like pit lane limiter needs to be implemented when full course yellow is in play, both from a safety point of view and fairness to those that have created a time gap at the front of the field.

don't disagree that drivers seem to ignore the yellows way too often.

only issue I have in this instance is that they would have only just been bringing out the flag for the spun car. hard to blame Pye for not slowing sufficiently. if Golding was 6 seconds ahead of Pye prior to his spin, and the flaggies didn't bring out the yellow til he stopped (which I believe is the normal correct procedure) then the flags would have come out with maybe 2 seconds before Pye got to the incident by which time James was into his flick spin putting both cars out.

other cars got safely by James where he ended up so perhaps it was just all too rushed which led to the demise.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

stevo qld

Quote from: madbugger on November 01, 2023, 07:15:57 AMTh incident also highlights the issue of drivers still travelling at full noise to catch the train when there are yellow flags and/or a safety car on track. I have believed for a long time that some kind of system like pit lane limiter needs to be implemented when full course yellow is in play, both from a safety point of view and fairness to those that have created a time gap at the front of the field.

Yellow flags are there for a purpose.

Pye did not slow sufficiently.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on November 01, 2023, 09:02:54 AM
Yellow flags are there for a purpose.

Pye did not slow sufficiently.

From memory, Pye wrote as much that he didn't even see a yellow in the 6 seconds that he was behind.

Sonic probably has the best opinion on this, he's been passionate of the yellow flag situation for a long time.
Maybe even Fabs could lend a hand on sufficient speed during yellows :).

I suggest that as Golding was flicking on to the racing line, he puckered up... and for good reason as it turns out.
Tricky situation. I feel Pye got hard done by, and love that he's come out and given some character to the sport!

Agree with Muz, Bairdo coming out on social media is unprofessional. It lowers him to the 'keyboard warriors' level.
Any comments he makes on his decisions should be done through the official streams.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Supercars should have a large yellow light where the driver can see it. Any flags can be communicated.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

muz

Quote from: stevo qld on November 01, 2023, 11:31:16 AMSupercars should have a large yellow light where the driver can see it. Any flags can be communicated.

I don't believe that makes a difference in this case. As is established with footage and forum maths ( ;) ) Pye was too close behind.

Also consider, he is into that chicane before it just as a yellow is triggered. You can't just put the brakes on there and slow down, it's a hard place to pull it up.

Sonic

one further comment on the crash... submitting video evidence your honour ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bve2kDiAtWE

@ 39 secs you can see the yellow flag. that is driver's right in direction of travel... could look damning for Scott as it was clearly out...

BUT pause the video of Scott's in car @ 58 secs and the flag is not yet out as he is taking the left hand entry to the chicane... so the flag came out as he was mid-way through the chicane... no way he could avoid an incident he didn't even know had happened!

zero blame can be apportioned to Pye if the flag had not even come out at the time that he was passing the point.

the defence rests LOL!

philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Bloopy

I notice they seem to be allowed to make a pass at turn 4 now even if they hop the chicane a bit. That's new isn't it?

As for Pye, it'd really help if their engineers acted as NASCAR-style spotters when needed. Perhaps they could be alerted to it quickly whenever a car ahead has a very slow micro sector (not sure how short those are though).

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on October 29, 2023, 09:00:02 AMI wish they could resolve the first chicane on the initial start of the race.  Start them somewhere else on the track, like a standing start AFTER the first chicane complex.
That might just move the problem to the 2nd chicane!

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Bloopy on November 04, 2023, 09:41:42 PM
Quote from: mikeamerica84 on October 29, 2023, 09:00:02 AMI wish they could resolve the first chicane on the initial start of the race.  Start them somewhere else on the track, like a standing start AFTER the first chicane complex.
That might just move the problem to the 2nd chicane!
Oh, I know, Bloops.  I was just trying to get them to eliminate the problem in some way.

Actually, looking at what I posted, I meant to say after the BACK chicane on the beach side.  There is a lot more run to Turn 11 there wherein things could get sorted out without cutting a kerb or two..... or three.  Very few can cut a concrete barrier. :)
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life