News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

2023 NASCAR Series

Started by meha, March 16, 2023, 10:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy01505

When are Aussies going to step up to the plate? Can't have these Kiwi buggers showing us up all over the US

skaifeman

Quote from: Bloopy on July 03, 2023, 12:29:50 PMOr even 2024 given SVG's surprised us by ripping up a contract before. ;)

Haha well played ;D  ;D .

Quote from: Troy01505 on July 03, 2023, 12:55:22 PMWhen are Aussies going to step up to the plate? Can't have these Kiwi buggers showing us up all over the US

I'd suspect that only 2-3 drivers in the current field could do somewhat well in that category. Mostert, Waters and Kostecki.
Mostert and SVG would both go well in an Indy I'd think too. Spitballing of course.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

LG

I found the race pretty boring but I guess if I was watching at turn 6 I might have a different view.
It came to life when they announced that the race would be shortened to 75 laps and some cars had already pitted for fuel and tires and therefore jumped way ahead. SVG was one of the ones caught out and rejoined in about 18th I think. His drive from there to take the lead was nothing short of brilliant especially considering it was his first drive in a Nascar, first time at the track and lots of other firsts for him. You could even hear the Yanks cheering for him towards the end. A great drive.

V8SuperRiley

It's a mighty impressive feat, although not much of a surprise. As Kyle Busch said, "He's got a four, five or eight year head start on us in cars like this".

Ospif1

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on July 03, 2023, 04:42:19 PMAs Kyle Busch said, "He's got a four, five or eight year head start on us in cars like this"
I knew Kyle Busch would need to make an excuse.

Sonic

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on July 03, 2023, 04:42:19 PMIt's a mighty impressive feat, although not much of a surprise. As Kyle Busch said, "He's got a four, five or eight year head start on us in cars like this".

hardly! very different cars! he's gone from a RHD to a LHD, from aero to minimal

he has a head start on them as far as street circuits go, that is a fair argument as I believe I heard them say this was their first street circuit for them?

things I noted... I didn't watch a lot of it as I was working but I heard the comment made (along the lines of) about how he made sure to show respect as he was a guest of the series and he wanted to make sure he didn't impact someone else's championship... would be interesting to see how he would go applying that in SC-land? a little respect for his fellow competitors. I don't recall one pass he made being via his regular 'tap and go' method... every one I saw was a clean pass.

I loved that version of Giz! Hopefully he can remember how to drive like that when he gets back to Oz!

He also made a comment about how it would likely have been an alternative scenario if it was on an oval how he would have been schooled. A little humility goes a long way and I'm sure the US folk would have appreciated that acknowledgement.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

mikeamerica84

Absolutely fantastic. 

A different point of view:  I found it incredible that his name was mispronounced for a majority of the race.  Dale Jr. kept calling him "Shane Gisbergen", but that is not surprising coming from him.  Rick Allen, the race announcer, kept referring to him as "Shane van GisBERgen".  Mike Bagley first called him "Shane van Gisbergeren".

I guess when you have foreign drivers over here this is bound to happen.  Eventually Allen came around (I think someone slipped him a note).

Jeff Burton, on the other hand, played it safe and used "SVG" most of the time.   ;D

The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

mikeamerica84

My favorite write-in reply by a fan on www.racer.com this morning:

"Still hearing the complaining that it wasn't fair to let a guy race who knew what he was doing....."

https://racer.com/2023/07/03/respect-runs-both-ways-after-van-gisbergens-nascar-chicago-win/

Trevor

fancy letting someone race who knew what they were doing, what were NASCAR thinking  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

djr18fan

Quote from: Trevor on July 04, 2023, 05:15:57 AMthose people 
Quote from: Trevor on July 04, 2023, 05:15:57 AMfancy letting someone race who knew what they were doing, what were NASCAR thinking  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Those that said he preferred to stick with the safety of supercars and wasn't wanted by teams outside Australasia must be hurting.

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Ospif1 on July 03, 2023, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: V8SuperRiley on July 03, 2023, 04:42:19 PMAs Kyle Busch said, "He's got a four, five or eight year head start on us in cars like this"

He was full of praise for him, having teamed up with him at the Daytona 24H, he knew he'd be quick. Like a few have said, this is Shane's bread and butter.

Moving to LHD is a big change, but he's a professional driver, it's easy to adapt to that.

LG

Quote from: Sonic on July 03, 2023, 10:37:19 AMOk, rule explanation needed please.

When the yellow came out Giz got through the 7 car stoppage and was in p10... then restart he got dumped back to p18?

How did that work?

They go back to just before the affray to work out the positions, unlike us who go back a complete lap,

Trevor

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on July 04, 2023, 09:39:13 AM

He was full of praise for him, having teamed up with him at the Daytona new  knew he'd be quick. Like a few have said, this is Shane's bread and butter.

Moving to LHD is a big change, but he's a professional driver, it's easy to adapt to that.
he has driven heaps of LHD cars, nothing new to him

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Trevor on July 04, 2023, 12:10:30 PM

He was full of praise for him, having teamed up with him at the Daytona new  knew he'd be quick. Like a few have said, this is Shane's bread and butter.

Not to take anything away from SVG, but the LHD car he drove had a sequential shifter.  When Ambrose came over he had the H-pattern.  A tad bit tougher to adjust to.  I know I'd DESTROY something mechanical if I had to drive a RHD car with an H-pattern.   ;D

But it makes me marvel at the old RHD guys who had to go LHD and vice versa with the old H-pattern.

skaifeman

Quote from: LG on July 04, 2023, 11:29:41 AM
Quote from: Sonic on July 03, 2023, 10:37:19 AMOk, rule explanation needed please.

When the yellow came out Giz got through the 7 car stoppage and was in p10... then restart he got dumped back to p18?

How did that work?

They go back to just before the affray to work out the positions, unlike us who go back a complete lap,

We only do so in a red flag situation though?
They do before any pile up?

And how do the playoffs work? One for Mike to explain. :)
...and stages within the race? You gain extra points if you're leading at that point?

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 04, 2023, 01:44:17 PM
Quote from: Trevor on July 04, 2023, 12:10:30 PM

But it makes me marvel at the old RHD guys who had to go LHD and vice versa with the old H-pattern.

Jim Richards was the best.  Between the Supercar and the Carrera Cup in the early/mid 2000's.
Win the Porsche race one minute, out-qualify Skaifey in the Commodore the next.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977