News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Camaro Axed

Started by V8SuperRiley, March 23, 2023, 11:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloopy

Quote from: murph_fan51 on March 23, 2023, 05:07:29 PM
Quote from: Trevor on March 23, 2023, 04:07:24 PM
They will run the Corvette, pretty simple
This is a completely different car, parity might be an issue for Supercars...

Surely in theory the point of the Gen3 platform is that it's mainly common parts beneath the panels. Once they get the Gen3 teething issues out of the way this year, they should be able to take on new models. Map the new engine and pop it in, bolt on new panels, slide it up and down the airstrip a few times and adjust accordingly, boom done. I guess theory and reality may have a bit of a chasm in between...

TheArrow

I don't think that's the issue. The problem is they're two entirely different styles of car. It would be like rocking up in a Honda NSX and racing it against the Mustang.

Completely different body style and engine placement.

Bloopy

Indeed, and there's your chasm. ;D A few mentioned Cadillac in Speedcafe comments, which is maybe slightly more exciting than an Altima. I hope the GM teams figure something out but I'm not bothered as to what it is.

mikeamerica84

I have to agree with Troy & Murph above in the thread.  This is not "new" news.  The Camaro was tapped to be discontinued some time ago. 

It is unfortunate that now the series has entered a new era that the longevity of said era is already marked.  I think what is interesting is that once again, Supercars' hand will eventually be forced.  They knew the Camaro had a limited life time when they went to this formula.  I just wonder how far ahead, if at all, they thought this out.  What will be the tonic to keep Gen 3 alive? 

Or maybe, just maybe, they are just winging it?  I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they were/are getting ready for this next change down the stretch in a few years.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

madbugger

I think everyone but the hierarchy at supercars knew the Camaro was dead in the water before they started racing.  Just another 💩 decision in the 💩show supercars has become.

TCR was mentioned as a possible replacement, what about  GT3 cars?  Formula already exists, no more parity bull💩, you pick a car and race it as is, you know it's strengths and weaknesses. They are quick and readily available.

Bathurst 12hr has some of the best racing in Australia, huge fields, what is there not to like about it?
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

fordman

Anyone know what the FORD plans are for the Mustang???? are they keeping it??? for how long?

Joe5619

Quote from: fordman on March 24, 2023, 07:42:45 AM
Anyone know what the FORD plans are for the Mustang???? are they keeping it??? for how long?
I'm no expert, but seen enough around to think the mustang will be pretty much the same as now, but with an eclectic engine.

AlbertM

Quote from: Ospif1 on March 23, 2023, 07:57:14 PM
Quote from: AlbertM on March 23, 2023, 05:08:47 PM

Gen 3 Camaro only exists because Supercars knows there are still enough GM suckers to get behind it and pour money into the spectacle.
which model should they have run?

Not model, but what make is the question Supercars should have focused on. Gen 3 could have opened the door for other brands. But instead stuck with dead GM models in an effort to keep the Holden fans on side and keep Holden v Ford marketing legacy alive. A legacy supercars said they have moved passed.
Ford Faithful

djr18fan

Quote from: Sonic on March 23, 2023, 03:17:18 PM
Quote from: Joe5619 on March 23, 2023, 03:11:30 PM
Lets hope they sign someone new & quick.. Ford has already said they don't want to race in a one make series, if they loss Ford as well, it's the end

Perhaps that may lead to us getting back a Touring Car champion! :D

Losing the category that chews up the vast majority of moneys available in motorsport isn't necessarily a bad thing... if that filters down to other existing categories I think it actually could be of a great benefit to Australian Motorsport
But the money wouldn't filter down to other categories. It would filter down to one category only because that's the natural order of things.

Joe5619

Quote from: AlbertM on March 24, 2023, 04:15:38 PM

Gen 3 Camaro only exists because Supercars knows there are still enough GM suckers to get behind it and pour money into the spectacle.

Not model, but what make is the question Supercars should have focused on. Gen 3 could have opened the door for other brands. But instead stuck with dead GM models in an effort to keep the Holden fans on side and keep Holden v Ford marketing legacy alive. A legacy supercars said they have moved passed.
I'm not sure Supercars "stuck with GM" by choice.. Don't you think if there was another interested manufacturer they would be on the grid this year?

hsv8fan

They have been trying for years to get other manufacturers interested with limited and short lived success.
They have gone down this path because they are the only ones willing to play.

They would/should have known at the beginning of the process the lifespan of the Camaro and this generation of racing

AlbertM

Quote from: Joe5619 on March 24, 2023, 05:20:28 PM

I'm not sure Supercars "stuck with GM" by choice.. Don't you think if there was another interested manufacturer they would be on the grid this year?

Because Supercars wrote the Gen 3 rules that limit other manufacturers but glove fit Camaro and Mustang. Gen 3 has been in development for 3 years. They had plenty of time to court other brands.
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: hsv8fan on March 24, 2023, 05:28:58 PM

They have been trying for years to get other manufacturers interested with limited and short lived success.

They would/should have known at the beginning of the process the lifespan of the Camaro and this generation of racing

Given how Supercars botched Gen 2 by favoring one make, no one would be willing to play.  A few years back BMW wanted to play but only if they could bring their existing race cars. Supercars have since done 2 ground up generation of race cars. Supercars could have worked with BMW but they didn't. 

Gen 3 now has a 3 season life span. All that development for just 3 seasons. So much for reducing costs.

Not sure how true it is but it is said that GM does not want much to do with Gen 3 and that Supercars bought Camaro's IP from GM so it could be raced. If true Supercar want to prolong the ol' GM v Ford thing for a bit longer.
Ford Faithful

skaifeman

Quote from: AlbertM on March 24, 2023, 08:35:37 PM

Given how Supercars botched Gen 2 by favoring one make, no one would be willing to play.  A few years back BMW wanted to play but only if they could bring their existing race cars. Supercars have since done 2 ground up generation of race cars. Supercars could have worked with BMW but they didn't. 

Gen 3 now has a 3 season life span. All that development for just 3 seasons. So much for reducing costs.

Not sure how true it is but it is said that GM does not want much to do with Gen 3 and that Supercars bought Camaro's IP from GM so it could be raced. If true Supercar want to prolong the ol' GM v Ford thing for a bit longer.

My understanding was that covid killed the BMW deal?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

AlbertM

Quote from: skaifeman on March 24, 2023, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: AlbertM on March 24, 2023, 08:35:37 PM

My understanding was that covid killed the BMW deal?
This was years before covid. Same time as Merc Volvo and Nissan stepped in, IIRC
Ford Faithful