News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Round 3 - Perth Supersprint Spoilers

Started by skaifeman, April 28, 2023, 09:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djr18fan

Quote from: Woodzy on April 29, 2023, 06:30:34 PM
Supercars are extremely out of touch if they're given Brodie a bad sportsmanship flag! Why would you not want to promote good racing??
Because excessive blocking is not good racing.

LG

I thought Kostecki picked his lines extremely well. I never saw him move twice and the scrap was in the last laps of the race where I thought what he did was allowable.
SVG wasn't just tapping his rear occasionally, he was at it constantly and hard enough to cause damage to the cars.
From my point of view and experience in actual racing, SVG should have been the one to have been warned.
He's supposed to be this gung ho driver yet it seems the only way he can pass a car which is relatively equal to his is to bash it out of the way.
I'd be interested to hear what oldtimer thinks about this. We are a similar era.

murph_fan51

QuoteSVG wasn't just tapping his rear occasionally, he was at it constantly and hard enough to cause damage to the cars.

I didn't see any damage, there was a tyre rub but nothing more?

I take it you never liked the Ambrose/Skaife/Ingall days of rubbing racing?

About time we saw some close racing instead of the follow the leader stuff.

This is the penultimate lap after the pass. No damage.
debris debris debris

stp01

Quote from: murph_fan51 on April 30, 2023, 09:07:22 AM
QuoteSVG wasn't just tapping his rear occasionally, he was at it constantly and hard enough to cause damage to the cars.

Shane got into the back of him a couple of laps earlier, and there was a bit of damage to Brodie's car. But they seem pretty flimsy in the rear bodywork, I doubt any damage would have shown up in previous cars.

This is the pass. I'm not sure where Shane could have gone, He wasn't understeering, and he had decent overlap.

Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

LG

Quote from: murph_fan51 on April 30, 2023, 09:07:22 AM

I take it you never liked the Ambrose/Skaife/Ingall days of rubbing racing?

About time we saw some close racing instead of the follow the leader stuff.

This is the penultimate lap after the pass. No damage.

I suggest you have a better look and you'll see a fair bit of damage to the back of Kostecki's car.

Zac

It's all good. Brodie is now one of only a couple of drivers (along with Cam Waters) not to be intimidated by SVG - but if he's going to keep blocking, he can expect to keep copping contact from the rear (and so can SVG if the roles are reversed). However, the only time (apart from the pass) that Brodie was pushed offline, SVG backed out of it. IMHO, Brodie didn't deserve a 'Bad Sportsmanship' flag, but both drivers agreed that they were pushing their luck. Maybe a few more drivers might follow Brodie's example now, and not be so intimidated by Shane. Bring it on...

stp01

100% Zac. Both drivers loved the battle, their reactions after the race showed it. We could be in for some fun this season!
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

AlbertM

{Cricket chirp}...Race 9 was that exciting?
Ford Faithful

Brazen

Was there all weekend guys as usual, racing was definitely very clean, way cleaner than I expected but still fun being at the track getting your eardrums smashed

skaifeman

Quote from: murph_fan51 on April 30, 2023, 06:01:26 AM
Quote from: SetonFan on April 29, 2023, 11:31:42 PM
The LED lights are a real step backwards over the simple stickers.

Simple stickers won't show the current position though! Can anyone at the track confirm if they are quite useful?

https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/erebus-requests-officials-to-review-van-gisbergen-contact/

Looks like SVGs win has a little question mark over it.

Watching on TV these actually made it harder to identify the car. If trackside viewers found the same they should be removed.
I can see it being useful for somewhere like Bathurst where the strategy/lapped cars do play a part and trackside fans might lose track - but they are fairly useless at sprint events.

Erebus are the real deal. Good on them, and it was great seeing Kostecki lay the elbows out for SVG. They'll have a few more bouts this season and dare say someone will be offloaded at some stage. Will seems happy to play along too, doubling up on SVG if needed.

Biggest surprise for me is DJR, especially Anton. That weekend that he utterly dominated at Eastern Creek is a distant memory now.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Brazen

Quote from: skaifeman on May 01, 2023, 09:46:30 AM
Biggest surprise for me is DJR, especially Anton. That weekend that he utterly dominated at Eastern Creek is a distant memory now.

The last time they developed a new car was 2019 when they had Penske funding.

Now they're on their own and I think that's making a big difference

mikeamerica84

I finally finished watching the round.  I do not care for those LEDs.  I agree with murphfan - it was harder to identify the cars.  Luckily we had the totem on the left hand side of the screen.  The fans at the track didn't have that.

When it was all done I thought to myself, "Gee.  Not a single safety car in any of the three races."

Looks like it will be a good fight between Triple Eight & Erebus this season.  They both got out of the Gen 3 box good.  Hopefully WAU and DJR can get on the upswing and give them some trouble from the blue side down the stretch.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Sonic

Saw a quote from Giz... something along the lines of "defending is ok but I should then be allowed to hit him"

Seriously... when did this stupidity come into racing? Is it a thing that has come over from the US Nascar where "rubbing is racing"? (just another stupidity that has nothing to do with racing with any skill)... contact will happen, the drivers are all human and will err now and then but intentionally hitting another competitor is BS!

What level of motorsport do you have to reach when it becomes not only ok but the expected thing to start punting people and damage be damned?
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

LG

Quote from: Sonic on May 01, 2023, 11:14:33 AM
Saw a quote from Giz... something along the lines of "defending is ok but I should then be allowed to hit him"

Seriously... when did this stupidity come into racing? Is it a thing that has come over from the US Nascar where "rubbing is racing"? (just another stupidity that has nothing to do with racing with any skill)... contact will happen, the drivers are all human and will err now and then but intentionally hitting another competitor is BS!

What level of motorsport do you have to reach when it becomes not only ok but the expected thing to start punting people and damage be damned?

Agree 100% Sonic.