News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2024

Started by skaifeman, May 03, 2023, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbertM

Quote from: skaifeman on February 08, 2024, 11:30:35 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on February 07, 2024, 05:56:38 PM
Quote from: WarrenK on February 07, 2024, 01:35:06 PM
Quote from: AlbertM on February 06, 2024, 08:24:35 PMThe number is for the winning driver. Not the team.
Until there is anything official, BK is still the driver of the No1 Erebus Chev, so running No 1 today is OK.

It is official. BK will not be driving an Erebus Chev until further notice. Pretty sure that was Hazelwood's name on the car. As far as I know he didn't win the championship last year.

It's Brodie Kostecki's number not Erebus'
Being a test day, I think the rules are murky re actual repercussions. It's more a question of integrity/sporting behaviour. Jeff Grech didn't mince his words:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/supercars/supercars-2024-erebus-motorsport-makes-disgusting-move-amid-brodie-kostecki-exit-news-latest-update/news-story/8493b63635c0185e2a1b8d61e521ce52

It's always a funny one. The team all won that Championship too, but the circumstance has put the spotlight as Erebus v Brodie and his rights around that.
I'd like to think the organisation as a whole decided to run the #1, not just a single figure.

What's interesting, is that no one else in the team has moved on. If it's so toxic, surely (at least) Commins and Moore would be highly sought after, and would also jump ship? Is it just a driver issue?
If the msn report above is correct and Barry left and returned, it could be a straight up Barry/Brodie issue, as Albert suggests.

Just for the sake of the comparison, as it was brought up.
When DJR did it, they didn't break the #1 regs as outlined in an earlier post, they were running #17/#18. They did break the number layout/sizing rules of Schedule K at the time. Different circumstances and different regs broken.
For the record. I don't care if it's against regs or not. I think it's just bad taste.

As for the work place, I agree with you that this is a clash of manager and employee. Have been in that situation where the supervisor is gunning for you, but butter wouldn't melt in their mouth when dealing with others. I think this is why Brodie's mental health has been hinted at in this ordeal. Either way it's bad when their 3 top sponsors walk away as quickly as they did. Depending how bad Brodie feels he was treated there could be civil action taken. That will weaken Erebus' bargaining position.
Ford Faithful

Trevor

My funny experience with (the old) V8Supercars - I used to do the safety briefing's for the V8Supercar teams at Winton, I was also on BAC Committee at the time (BAC owns Winton) and there was a discussion that Cochrane had contacted each of the States Health and Safety Autorities wanting an exemption from the States Health and Safety Legislation as they were a National body blah, blah, blah. Well 'nec minit' WorkSafe Vict has shutdown Sandown citing 'health and safety' issues.  Poor old (dumb) Cochrane never thought that by asking that question it would raise red flags with the Health and Safety Authorities  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Victoria last year put mental health etc in the OHS Regulations, so now it is an offence if a workplace puts a workers 'mental health' at risk - workplaces must now have processes in place to manage workplace mental health issues - not sure about other States & Territories as Victoria is still running OHS where all other States & Territories are WHS

skaifeman

Quote from: muz on February 08, 2024, 07:12:57 AMPure speculation...what if Kostecki ends up in the 3rd T8 wildcard car and puts a full focus on winning bathurst, and then runs the car at a few other rounds too?

Win your first bathurst, do it with Craig Lowndes...would be a big story.
Well this puts 888/Lowndes to bed. What an opportunity for Murray.
Kudos to 888 for sticking to the young guns. Would be easy to put a experienced name in there for the media. Lowndes/Ingall, Lowndes/Murphy, Lowndes/Richards etc.
https://www.supercars.com/news/murray-scores-lowndes-triple-eight-wildcard-drive

Wouldn't be surprised if Adderton did something with Brodie though.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

muz

Agree on the Adderton topic. He wants in, Supercars know it is a miss not to have Kostecki. I really hope it works out.

Trevor

And now Adderton will cease sponsoring the Gold Coast event - he speaks volumnes

stevo qld

Quote from: LG on February 10, 2024, 09:10:29 AMGrech with a possible solution.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/supercars-2024-brodie-kostecki-quits-erebus-additional-licence-jeff-grech-comments-exclusive/4f7dd7ba-c3b4-4e67-b6d2-cc301422e653

Sounds familiar!

Quote from: stevo qld on February 06, 2024, 04:16:39 PM
QuoteBrodie should be on the grid as soon as possible. If that means a change of team, then make that happen. It's happened in other categories over the years at short notice. There are tools at Supercars' disposal that they can use. Have the guts to use them if necessary and ensure that the best interests of the sport as a whole are upheld.
\https://speedcafe.com/rolands-view-the-kostecki-affair/

Rolands's suggestion that Brodie should be on the grid might be a good one, however, in a 24-car field, who would get the axe for him to take over?

Supercars could, even if only for one year, allocate the 25th license. But then they have to find a competitive and willing team to run an additional car plus sponsors that don't clash with the main team cars.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Jetpac013

Not sure if anyone else saw this comment on the photo of the Erebus car on the V8sluth Instagram, but it has since been removed which is telling to me...

It may have some merit as to what is going on.

muz

This is wildness from all angles, if true. 

Team management issue

Manager ripping him off

Team manager blows a gasket.

Troy01505

An extra car on grid would be good, be even better if it was Triple 8 run and a Giz/Brodie Bathurst **** you to Barry.

AlbertM

So, it's Barry that is sidelining Brodie, not Brodie wanting out?  If true, no chance of Brodie driving for someone else this year. Kinda fits with why their 3 top sponsors walked.
Ford Faithful

djr18fan

Quote from: AlbertM on February 10, 2024, 11:16:59 PMSo, it's Barry that is sidelining Brodie, not Brodie wanting out?  If true, no chance of Brodie driving for someone else this year. Kinda fits with why their 3 top sponsors walked.
If Barry didn't want Brodie to race for Erebus this year, Erebus wouldn't release a statement saying Brodie was not racing for round 1 only. (And was part of the team.)

Bloopy

Quote from: AlbertM on February 10, 2024, 11:16:59 PMIf true, no chance of Brodie driving for someone else this year.
It worked for SVG and he just had to put up with being dragged through the courts.

Unfortunately I think the best way to deal with bullies and/or shouty arseholes is to face off with them on the level of assertiveness their small brains understand. Demand them to explain why they'd say something that makes you feel like crap, given that's not going to help you perform/drive faster. Going to their boss seems likely to get you tangled in a bigger mess as we've seen.

AlbertM

Quote from: djr18fan on February 11, 2024, 06:19:41 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on February 10, 2024, 11:16:59 PMSo, it's Barry that is sidelining Brodie, not Brodie wanting out?  If true, no chance of Brodie driving for someone else this year. Kinda fits with why their 3 top sponsors walked.
If Barry didn't want Brodie to race for Erebus this year, Erebus wouldn't release a statement saying Brodie was not racing for round 1 only. (And was part of the team.)
Actually it fits the narrative quite nicely. By saying brodie is still part of the team and only sitting out 1 round is trying not to spook the sponsors. It has us all thinking it was Brodie that refused to to drive. When its been suggested it was the team that sidelined Brodie and called in replacements, business as usual...
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: Bloopy on February 11, 2024, 08:28:22 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on February 10, 2024, 11:16:59 PMIf true, no chance of Brodie driving for someone else this year.
It worked for SVG and he just had to put up with being dragged through the courts.

Unfortunately I think the best way to deal with bullies and/or shouty arseholes is to face off with them on the level of assertiveness their small brains understand. Demand them to explain why they'd say something that makes you feel like crap, given that's not going to help you perform/drive faster. Going to their boss seems likely to get you tangled in a bigger mess as we've seen.
The difference is that SVG wanted out regardless. If this rumour is true. Sounds like Brodie was going to drive for Erebus in 24 and had an offer for 25, told Barry to increase his bargain power.
Ford Faithful