News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

BTCC

Started by murph_fan51, May 19, 2021, 08:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murph_fan51

Anyone following it this year?

Was a wet & dry day at Thuxton on the opening round, race 3 was particularly good to watch with cars on different tyres.

debris debris debris

meha

I will be honest I did not realize that the Championship had started yet but usually follow it most years. There is even some bloke by the name of Hamilton competing some people might even have heard of a relative of his.

murph_fan51

The championship had been pushed back by about a month this year. Still running behind closed doors, though may change soon.

Jake Hill is leading the championship currently.

Cupra have joined this year. But have lost the VW, Merc and Audi cars.
debris debris debris

mikeamerica84

Love BTCC.  They have a good formula for FWD v. RWD cars, but in all honesty I would like to see them ditch the RWD cars and go to a more TCR platform.

But this year, Matt Neal is sitting out, Gordon Shedden is back in a Honda, Dan "Smassish" Cammish is only at the first round for a one off in a Honda, Jason Plato is back in a Vauxhall, Tom Ingram jumped out of the Toyota and into a Hyundai, and Rory Butcher jumped into the Toyota.

Calendar:

Races
Dates
Venue

1-3
18th-19th May
Thruxton

4-6
12th-13th Jun.
Snetterton (300)

7-9
26th-27th Jun.
Brands Hatch (Indy)

10-12
31st Jul.-1st Aug.
Oulton Park (Island)

13-15
14th-15th Aug.
Knockhill

16-18
28th-29th Aug.
Thruxton

19-21
18th-19th Sep.
Croft

22-24
25th-26th Sep.
Silverstone (National)

25-27
9th-10th Oct.
Donington Park (National)

28-30
23rd-24th Oct.
Brands Hatch (Grand Prix)
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

murph_fan51

I'd like to know what happened with Neal and more so Cammish, both drivers being replaced this year.
IMO Cammish would be a better shot than Sheddon.
I do wonder if Honda pulling factory funding had something to do with it. Neal is still with the team in a management role.

The Motul Toyota's look awesome.

It seems odd seeing Ingrams Ginsters livery on a different model now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
debris debris debris

mikeamerica84

It is a good series, isn't it. murph?  I look forward to every round.  Nothing like watching those front wheelers just blasting through a high speed downhill corner.

And in England, usually in the damp.   ;D

mikeamerica84

I just sat down to watch Round 1 qually from Donington Park.  Formula changes aside for 2022, such as no success ballast (weight-wise), one tyre compound, and hybrid engines, I noticed that Rich Energy is sponsoring three Hondas.  You remember that company, right?  The logo was a gold set of antlers on a black background.  They sponsored Haas F1 for a while but then everything fell apart and there was some speculation about the company's actual existence/structure.

But yeah.  No success ballast.  Instead, the handicapping now is that all cars from positions 11-on can use their allotted amount of hybrid/electric power for each lap.  As you go up the ladder, you are limited how many laps you can use your hybrid power.  They showed an example for a race of less than 17 laps, the top car cannot use it for ten of those laps.

Interesting handicap format.

mikeamerica84

While I'm at it, the 2022 calendar:

British Touring Car Championship – 2022 Calendar

Rounds 1/2/3 – Donington Park (National) – April 23/24

Rounds 4/5/6 – Brands Hatch (Indy) – May 14/15

Rounds 7/8/9 – Thruxton – May 28/29

Rounds 10/11/12 – Oulton Park (Island) – June 11/12

Rounds 13/14/15 – Croft – June 25/26

Rounds 16/17/18 – Knockhill – July 30/31

Rounds 19/20/21 – Snetterton (300) – August 13/14

Rounds 22/23/24 – Thruxton – August 27/28

Rounds 25/26/27 – Silverstone (National) – September 24/25

Rounds 28/29/30 – Brands Hatch (Grand Prix) – October 8/9

murph_fan51

Thanks Mike
Was a interesting first 3 races with the new Hybrid cars.
One thing I would like is the blue light in the front windscreen of the cars, for viewing on tv you would see who's using the hybrid power. Being on the side is hard to see. And showing in the graphics is not really what your looking at normally.
debris debris debris