News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

What do we think of this? Supercars want 24 cars to go offshore

Started by hsv8fan, June 21, 2023, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

you really have to wonder sometimes at what must be doing the rounds at SC HQ?

I would challenge them to find ONE person on the fence who wouldn't like to see more cars, not less! okay, they may find ONE or a few but the pitiful numbers on the grid of what is supposed to be the premier series is a sad indication (I think) of what a corner they have painted themselves into
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

AlbertM

Can't see any international interest in Supercars. Even less interest if they are just going to play around in the Asia/Pacific region.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

Personally, I would like to see ANY TEAM that has a legal car and qualified driver able to enter.

If they can't qualify in the track limit number, which varies, tough. If only 24 spaces are available for overseas plane travel, then it should be the top 24 in the Championship, at that stage.

Plus, any entrant that makes their own way to the overseas race should be able to enter and qualify, If a team and sponsor choose to support a driver that can't cut it, also tough!

e.g. 1 If the Jahore Princes choose to have a car in Melasia, then it should be accepted to enter.

e.g. 2 If and entrant wants to have 2 cars (say Boost) and have one sea freighted to NZ, then it should be accepted to enter and try to qualify.

In addition, I would like the ATCC to apply ONLY to Australian races, perhaps with a Tasman champion and a Supercars champion for all races.

Amen!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

Quote from: stevo qld on June 21, 2023, 10:37:34 PMPersonally, I would like to see ANY TEAM that has a legal car and qualified driver able to enter.

If they can't qualify in the track limit number, which varies, tough. If only 24 spaces are available for overseas plane travel, then it should be the top 24 in the Championship, at that stage.

Plus, any entrant that makes their own way to the overseas race should be able to enter and qualify, If a team and sponsor choose to support a driver that can't cut it, also tough!

e.g. 1 If the Jahore Princes choose to have a car in Melasia, then it should be accepted to enter.

e.g. 2 If and entrant wants to have 2 cars (say Boost) and have one sea freighted to NZ, then it should be accepted to enter and try to qualify.

In addition, I would like the ATCC to apply ONLY to Australian races, perhaps with a Tasman champion and a Supercars champion for all races.

Amen!

Hard to argue against any of that
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

djr18fan

Quote from: madbugger on June 22, 2023, 08:47:31 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on June 21, 2023, 10:37:34 PMPersonally, I would like to see ANY TEAM that has a legal car and qualified driver able to enter.

Amen!

Hard to argue against any of that
I can't imagine sponsors would be happy with forking out money so they can not race and appear on TV. The top teams may be advantaged while it would be detrimental to teams with less resources and difficult for a new team to raise the funds to get an opportunity. I reckon you'd get a reduction in quality of entrants and possibly a reduction in the number of cars competing in all events in the championship.

stevo qld

An additional team, such as BOOST, has top quality machinery and a very adequate budget.

Maybe the greater fields can be attained by simply adding more "Wildcard" entries and not tying the entry to existing teams.

"Privateers have been a significant part of the ATCC for a long time, although I do realise that many fans were not born then. Here is one example:
 www.v8sleuth.com.au/how-beloved-holden-privateers-nearly-went-turbo/

In addition, there were many other well-funded part time teams such as Bob Jane. Even Peter Brock, Barry Rogers  and Allan Moffat were part timers in some years.

I also feel that Supercars would be gracious to all a Boost Wildcard at the Boost sponsored Gold Coast event.

https://autoaction.com.au/2023/06/22/adderton-on-hard-wildcard-ambition
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bloopy

Quote from: Sonic on June 21, 2023, 08:27:42 PMI would challenge them to find ONE person on the fence who wouldn't like to see more cars, not less! okay, they may find ONE or a few but the pitiful numbers on the grid of what is supposed to be the premier series is a sad indication (I think) of what a corner they have painted themselves into
Yeah, I'm sure fans aren't hoping to see 3 more Alex Rullo clones circulating out there. It's more about the worry of the series dissolving down to nothing.

The old planes could fit 16 cars each and they'll still be using the same racks with a small width increase. I guess they're talking about using smaller planes. It's the way of the world now though... you pay more to get less.

I assume they're still intending to take the safety car and other course cars like they have before. Surely they could leave those behind and just take the equipment needed to fit out vehicles at the destination.

Troy01505

It's failed numerous times.

The sport will never have enough fans outside of NZ and Australia to have any success with international rounds

Trevor

Skaife has his toxic paws all over it

He could never make it over there so he is trying to live his dream via this

djr18fan

Bring back David Thexton!

Yes to wildcards.
Yes to more financially sustainable teams competing in all rounds.
Prefer rounds in Australisia only to support local tracks & regions.
No to entrants not being guaranteed a start.
All subject to grid capacities.
Freight capacity to NZ could be an issue.

skaifeman

Roland's thoughts:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/06/28/rolands-view-what-supercars-could-do-with-the-26th-teams-racing-charter/

Interesting re the wildcard. Would love to see it at key events.
I saw nothing but SVG, Kimi and Jenson in a NASCAR on socials whilst they are/were happening. More recently the NASCAR entry at Le Mans was epic, and almost took more airtime/clicks than the return and win of Ferrari.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

LG

Further diminishing of an already small field is extremely counter productive so obviously I don't agree with Supercars at all.

They should be concentrating on local (Aus and NZ) meetings and doing all they can to attract wildcards. The wildcards should not have to be officially part of an existing team before they can apply but should be able to seek assistance in some form from an existing team. The updated entry fees are just ridiculous.

skaifeman

Quote from: LG on June 28, 2023, 01:34:53 PMFurther diminishing of an already small field is extremely counter productive so obviously I don't agree with Supercars at all.

They should be concentrating on local (Aus and NZ) meetings and doing all they can to attract wildcards. The wildcards should not have to be officially part of an existing team before they can apply but should be able to seek assistance in some form from an existing team. The updated entry fees are just ridiculous.

Completely agree, and when so many high-profile (and successful) business people are saying otherwise to Supercars plan, you have to wonder.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977