News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Burgess done for DUI

Started by AlbertM, September 28, 2023, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Quote from: stevo qld on September 29, 2023, 12:01:44 PMJournalists are very quick to point out the failings of others, even in non-job-related incidents.

Maybe we can have a series of articles naming and shaming Journalists who transgress.

Lest it be misinterpreted. I am all in favour of publicizing DUI and other serious road infringements.

I do suggest that such articles that are written should apply to ALL such matters. I also suggest that the relevant journalist would state their own record (if any).

Some years back when I lived in Redcliff, the local paper would weekly list ALL matters brought before the Magistrates and the sentence or acquittal. Good stuff.

In another sport, a druggie can be in their Hall of Fame and get paid TV commentary gigs.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

muz

One thing here, I would say that no one on this forum is defending Burgess' actions. All agreed, he needs to make better choices.

BUT - should we judge his job off this? No.

Should we judge his job off his job performance? Yes.

AlbertM

Quote from: muz on September 29, 2023, 02:28:21 PM
Quote from: AlbertM on September 29, 2023, 07:49:10 AM
Quote from: muz on September 28, 2023, 11:21:03 PMI agree.

Does it make it bad at his job? No.

Best to separate the issues.

Burgess linked the issues as a defence. Besides, he was bad at his job before he got done.

So, separate the issues. His job performance is not impacted by a DUI.

LOL! I didn't link them in the first place.
Ford Faithful

muz

Re read your first post.

Directly calling out Supercars for not taking action.

That is specifically linking a private matter to his employment.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: skaifeman on September 29, 2023, 09:39:59 AMNow you're talking a language we don't understand. Drive through banks (or drugstore aka chemist) don't exist down under ;D.

Wow.  Learn something every day.  I guess you have to walk into the joint to get your cash, then?  But I feel you got my analogy, skaifey!   :D

In the state I live in here, Michigan, they voted to legalize marijuana.  This one town south of us, Buchanan, has multiple pot shops.  One is an old bank.  Yep.  You guessed it.  Drive up in your car, put the money in container, put it in the tube.  Push the button - WOOSH!  Then the container comes back with your pot.  I am sure you don't have those, either.

And now, back to the topic at hand.   :)
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

AlbertM

Quote from: muz on September 30, 2023, 05:44:08 AMRe read your first post.

How about you go back a re-read my post. I didn't call out Supercars for not taking action. I noted Supercars position, based on their statement.

Burgess' own lawyer said it could affect his employment. So go harass him for not separating "the issues".
Ford Faithful

murph_fan51

Careless error by AB.

I'm sure he would have lost his job already by now considering it occurred 11th August so I think he's safe? Guess we'll find out...
debris debris debris

muz

Quote from: AlbertM on September 30, 2023, 01:12:04 PM

How about you go back a re-read my post. I didn't call out Supercars for not taking action. I noted Supercars position, based on their statement.

Burgess' own lawyer said it could affect his employment. So go harass him for not separating "the issues".

Looks like your opportunity to stick the boot into Burgess hasn't worked out as you hoped, eh.

Troy01505

.052 is very low but if you're drink driving, you're a bloody idiot.

The pathetic job he and his moronic mates have done with Gen 3 could easily lead to excessive drinking. I'd be drowning in my sorrows and drinking to forget too

WarrenK

Quote from: Troy01505 on September 30, 2023, 06:16:55 PM.052 is very low but if you're drink driving, you're a bloody idiot.

The pathetic job he and his moronic mates have done with Gen 3 could easily lead to excessive drinking. I'd be drowning in my sorrows and drinking to forget too
I think it was over 3 times that at .171.

AlbertM

Quote from: muz on September 30, 2023, 05:07:59 PM

Looks like your opportunity to stick the boot into Burgess hasn't worked out as you hoped, eh.

Bwahaha! Oh dear... You got it wrong but nice try. 
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: Troy01505 on September 30, 2023, 06:16:55 PM.052 is very low but if you're drink driving, you're a bloody idiot.

.052 was just a figure Sonic used for comparison. He got done for 0.171.
Ford Faithful

muz

Quote from: AlbertM on September 30, 2023, 08:03:28 PM
Quote from: muz on September 30, 2023, 05:07:59 PM

Bwahaha! Oh dear... You got it wrong but nice try. 

I don't think I did, you're clearly very triggered by Burgess / Gen 3 etc.
So decided to start this witch hunt.

But your secret is safe with me Alberto!

AlbertM

Hey, I defended Burgess over Chiller-gate.  :P   You jumped to the wrong conclusion based on my criticism of Burgess' handling of Gen 3*. The only one perpetrating a witch hunt is you. Show me where I said I expect Supercars to take action against Burgess as a result of his DUI charge? As you have claimed.  8)

I said Supercars are sitting on the fence. They haven't affirmed or terminated his employment. Since the news has gone public they will be weighing up which way to go. The public, the sponsors, internal staff might yet sway a decision. Then again Supercars might do nothing at all.

Burgess did use Gen 3 as a reason he went on a bender. Some might think that if the job drives a person to drink then drive and putting the public at risk. That person might no longer be suitable for that Job. His own lawyer said it has put his job at risk. Yet here you are lecturing me not to combine the issues? Pffft!  :-*

* = My criticism of Burgess and Gen 3 stems from him washing his hand of achieving parity and placing the burden squarely on Ford. Despite him and Supercars were withholding testing data, making it impossible for Ford to work on a solution and submit changes.
Ford Faithful

mikeamerica84

Quote from: murph_fan51 on September 30, 2023, 03:02:16 PMI'm sure he would have lost his job already by now considering it occurred 11th August so I think he's safe? Guess we'll find out...
You might be spot on, murph.

I just realized that there is a silver lining here for me.  Since I retired the missus gets on me once in awhile for drinking a few too many beers.  I can use "Gen 3" as my excuse maybe?  8)

muz...  Albert... we're all fans here.  Please go easy on each other, guys.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life