News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Burgess done for DUI

Started by AlbertM, September 28, 2023, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbertM

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/09/28/adrian-burgess-guilty-of-high-range-drink-driving/

Partly blames Gen 3 for his troubles. Ironic, if he did his job instead of palming it off, it might not have been so stressful.

Surprised with no conviction recorded, given he lied to police.

Supercars looks to be sitting on the fence so far. Probably waiting to see if there is any public backlash.
Ford Faithful

muz

Easy to throw stones with 20/20 vision.

AlbertM

There is no defence for driving under the influence, no matter the circumstances.
Ford Faithful

muz

I agree.

Does it make it bad at his job? No.

Best to separate the issues.

mikeamerica84

I don't know, Muz.  He might be held to a higher standard by his place of employment.

For example, let us say you and I work for, oh..... a bank.  I am a teller at the drive through window.  You are the manager.

If I get a DUI it would look bad for me, but I think I would be spared my job.  If YOU got a DUI, corporate might look down and say, "This guy is one of our managers on salary and it makes us look bad.  Toss him."

Ironically, we both committed the same offense but might be dealt with differently.  Too bad for all of this.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

fordman

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on September 29, 2023, 04:25:41 AMI don't know, Muz.  He might be held to a higher standard by his place of employment.

For example, let us say you and I work for, oh..... a bank.  I am a teller at the drive through window.  You are the manager.

If I get a DUI it would look bad for me, but I think I would be spared my job.  If YOU got a DUI, corporate might look down and say, "This guy is one of our managers on salary and it makes us look bad.  Toss him."

Ironically, we both committed the same offense but might be dealt with differently.  Too bad for all of this.

sadly those with some standing or status or fame sometimes pay a higher price for a crime. The system issues a punishment, the public issues another punishment and employers can also. All depends on who you are. Imagine if SVG or another driver gets a DUI??? what would SC do??? is it part of our career choice nowing if we screw up in civilian life it effects our professional one?

AlbertM

Quote from: muz on September 28, 2023, 11:21:03 PMI agree.

Burgess linked the issues as a defence. Besides, he was bad at his job before he got done.
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: fordman on September 29, 2023, 07:12:20 AM
Quote from: mikeamerica84 on September 29, 2023, 04:25:41 AMI don't know, Muz.  He might be held to a higher standard by his place of employment.

sadly those with some standing or status or fame sometimes pay a higher price for a crime. The system issues a punishment, the public issues another punishment and employers can also. All depends on who you are. Imagine if SVG or another driver gets a DUI??? what would SC do??? is it part of our career choice nowing if we screw up in civilian life it effects our professional one?

I'd say sponsor will also play a part in any discipline. More so if a driver is charged.
Ford Faithful

skaifeman

Now you're talking a language we don't understand. Drive through banks (or drugstore aka chemist) don't exist down under ;D.

Maybe Whincup wasn't far off with his comments back in 2019.

I do lean to agree with Muz. This is page 6 at best, similar to all the heat Whincup got over his relationship a few years ago.
Let the powers that be deal with it, and he can deal with the consequences, whatever they deservedly be.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Bloopy

If he's stressed and needs to chill out, I know a team who has some spare ice boxes.

stevo qld

Journalists are very quick to point out the failings of others, even in non-job-related incidents.

Maybe we can have a series of articles naming and shaming Journalists who transgress.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

AlbertM

I'd agree if it was a private matter, ie. Whincup.  However, he was way over the limit, then made a decision to put the public at risk.

There is no excuse or sympathy for that.
Ford Faithful

Trevor

Quote from: fordman on September 29, 2023, 07:12:20 AMis it part of our career choice nowing if we screw up in civilian life it effects our professional one?
spot on, this effects all truck drivers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, uber drivers, sales reps, etc etc etc, he is nothing special

In fact, after 13 years pulling bodies from car smashes as a volunteer road accident rescue person I have very little tolerance for drink drivers, throw the ****ers in jail

Sonic

.052... perhaps people would be a little kinder...

.171... registered after he staggered out of a venue, drove home, and crashed his car in his garage, and then however long til police turned up and did the breath test, not so much... more than 3 times the limit... you know if you are drunk, just poor form to do this... and not short on a quid so a taxi home was an option.

thankfully all that was damaged has been his reputation somewhat and we aren't talking about hospitalisations or deaths.

if he is suffering traumas then I hope he gets help.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

muz

Quote from: AlbertM on September 29, 2023, 07:49:10 AM
Quote from: muz on September 28, 2023, 11:21:03 PMI agree.

Burgess linked the issues as a defence. Besides, he was bad at his job before he got done.

So, separate the issues. His job performance is not impacted by a DUI.