News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Anton’s Timing

Started by skaifeman, October 09, 2023, 07:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

This is a bit of an "if, buts and maybe's" thread, but how about ADP's timing of moving to DJR.

Finishing behind 888 and Erebus got me thinking.

At the time he was touted as the Whincup replacement. He leaves Erebus to goto DJR.
Both the team that he was looking at going to (888), and his current team (at the time, Erebus) will have won all 3 Championships and 2/3 Bathurst's along with the majority of races since.

I really thought that one weekend that he DOMINATED at SMP was a sign of things to come for both he and DJR post the Penske break up.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

murph_fan51

Seemed like a good move at the time for Anton - Ludo, the homologation team and maybe Penske?
Looking back at the timeline, Penske announced his departure in October 2020, just 1 month later in November, Anton is confirmed as the replacement driver in #17.
That could have been some writing on the wall?
Either way, Anton is still there following some contract extensions so must be somewhat happy.
debris debris debris

AlbertM

Yes, at a time where no one saw the failure of Gen 3 coming.
Ford Faithful

murph_fan51

If Anton doesn't do something soon he'll be an also ran and disappear off the radar.
Certainly fading away as Fords rising star.
The question is how long Anton, and even Ludo will remain at DJR?
debris debris debris

mikeamerica84

Quote from: AlbertM on October 11, 2023, 11:16:43 PMYes, at a time where no one saw the failure of Gen 3 coming.
I have to admit, you have a good point there, Albert.  Gen 3 mixed a lot of things up.  I mean, Jack LeBrocq won this season.  Frosty once more, too.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

muz

I guess Anton is turning a little bit into Greg Murphy.

Murph left Kmart for what was a really strong PWR racing in 2004, but they never really kept progressing from 2005 and then it went backwards after that, while Kmart turned into the all-conquering HSV Dealer Team.

Maybe DJR is stronger again, or perhaps Anton jumps to whatever the equivalent of Sprint Gas Racing is in 2024.

Troy01505

Unfortunately, it seems big money comes and boost DJR back to the top and once it leaves so does the victories.

With finally some new wind tunnel testing and engine equalisation, maybe an equal playing field in car parity will let the drivers display their talents a little more.

History has shown, that apart from a few 2nd place years, the big money teams always make their back to the top.

murph_fan51

debris debris debris

mikeamerica84

Quote from: murph_fan51 on December 19, 2023, 04:53:01 PMhttps://www.djr.com.au/news/shell-v-power-racing-team-prepares-for-2024-season

Picked it haha

The question now is where will Ludo end up?
I'll tip Story and the restructuring to get high marks by the end of 2024.  I mean, think about it:  The team was totally flat this past year.  With the Fords getting a new shot at competing with the parity changes coming up, they have nowhere to go but up with this team.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Trevor

No loyalty with any driver these days, they go where either the money is or why their money buys a ride. SVG proved that point post Stone Brothers

muz

Quote from: Trevor on December 20, 2023, 05:14:52 AMNo loyalty with any driver these days, they go where either the money is or why their money buys a ride. SVG proved that point post Stone Brothers

The same guy post 6-seasons at SBR did 3yrs at Tekno (more than any other, 1 less than team owner Jonathan Webb) and 8yrs at Triple 8? Not sure that exemplifies no loyalty and chasing money.

Will Brown recently, sure it isn't ideal that he left a contract early, but he did it with the blessing of Erebus.

Looking at the current Supercars field, I would say most are actually pretty loyal than not. Even decade Dave has earned back a bit of loyalty recently.

Anton, let's see if a new team structure keeps him there beyond this deal...

Trevor

Quote from: muz on December 20, 2023, 06:30:48 AM
Quote from: Trevor on December 20, 2023, 05:14:52 AMNo loyalty with any driver these days, they go where either the money is or why their money buys a ride. SVG proved that point post Stone Brothers

The same guy post 6-seasons at SBR did 3yrs at Tekno (more than any other, 1 less than team owner Jonathan Webb) and 8yrs at Triple 8? Not sure that exemplifies no loyalty and chasing money.

Will Brown recently, sure it isn't ideal that he left a contract early, but he did it with the blessing of Erebus.

Looking at the current Supercars field, I would say most are actually pretty loyal than not. Even decade Dave has earned back a bit of loyalty recently.

Anton, let's see if a new team structure keeps him there beyond this deal...

FFS, we were talking about Anton, I just used SVG as example, keep up will ya

Zac

To use SVG as an example: The very best drivers get to choose where they go. They go where they have the best chance of winning, and money is not their main motivation.

Trevor

Quote from: Zac on December 20, 2023, 01:55:46 PMTo use SVG as an example: The very best drivers get to choose where they go. They go where they have the best chance of winning, and money is not their main motivation.
ahhhhh, so SVG's best chance of winning is to go the 2nd tier NASCAR series and do it for free - yeah right  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D