News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

One Hand on the Trophy

Started by skaifeman, November 07, 2023, 09:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Lets be real. This Championship is Kostecki's, unless he pulls a DNF for one of the races.
Looking back, we haven't had someone rise this quickly to Championship winning material for 20 years.

Whincup took 5 seasons to win his first.
McLaughlin 6
SVG 9.5
Winterbottom 12
Courtney 5
Tander 9.5
Kelly 5
Ingall 10

Back to 2003, Ambrose won his first title in 3 seasons. Kostecki is about to match that.

'The Kid' Lowndes obvoiusly had the dream start with a win in his first full-time season. And the early days of the ATCC startup obviously saw multiple winners on their first try - McKay, Pitt, Jane.
Gets harder to track beyond that as entrants would only attend certain races throughout the year, a 'full-time' season wasn't really a thing.

Is Kostecki going to be a mainstay at the top? Despite the season we've had, Erebus have beaten 888 and SVG on merit.
Do we see Erebus keeping 888 down ala Penske?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

murph_fan51

What's the worst place finish Brodie needs to finish, if SVG wins both races? If so, Brodie could circulate and finish around the mid pack?

But a pretty good effort from not only Brodie but Erebus too.

Both Erebus and 888 will have an unknown next year. 2 new drivers. Hard to say how it will play out.
debris debris debris

AlbertM

No doubting Erebus and Brodie have lifted. But beating 888 and SVG on merit? Had chiller-gate not happened it would be a different story. Add in several rivals have been hamstrung and the championship win feels a bit "meh". Same energy as when Rick Kelly won in 2006.
Ford Faithful

Bloopy

Quote from: murph_fan51 on November 07, 2023, 04:57:13 PMWhat's the worst place finish Brodie needs to finish, if SVG wins both races? If so, Brodie could circulate and finish around the mid pack?
If SVG grabs 300 points, Brodie needs 170 - so more like in the top 10 rather than mid pack. An 8th & 9th or a 7th & 10th would do it.

stp01

It would certainly be spicier if 888 hadn't stuffed up in Newcastle.
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

stevo qld

Quote from: stp01 on November 07, 2023, 09:07:40 PMIt would certainly be spicier if 888 hadn't stuffed up in Newcastle.
Quote from: stp01 on November 07, 2023, 09:07:40 PMIt would certainly be spicier if 888 hadn't stuffed up in Newcastle.

Or if the 888 brains trust has read the rules correctly at the first event.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

Quote from: AlbertM on November 07, 2023, 07:04:54 PMNo doubting Erebus and Brodie have lifted. But beating 888 and SVG on merit? Had chiller-gate not happened it would be a different story. Add in several rivals have been hamstrung and the championship win feels a bit "meh". Same energy as when Rick Kelly won in 2006.

I don't agree Albert, Much more energy than Rick's win. Brodie has had a far more dominant year than Rick did.

All RK did was circulate for the year and accumulate points, not a bad strategy in the end, but to come away with the championship without a single win was also an inditement of a points system that didn't give enough credit to winning.

Brodie on the other hand has had a pretty good year and taken it up to one of the most dominant teams in Supercar history.

I rate it far above RK's very meh championship.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

fordman

Quote from: madbugger on November 08, 2023, 07:28:27 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on November 07, 2023, 07:04:54 PMNo doubting Erebus and Brodie have lifted. But beating 888 and SVG on merit? Had chiller-gate not happened it would be a different story. Add in several rivals have been hamstrung and the championship win feels a bit "meh". Same energy as when Rick Kelly won in 2006.

I don't agree Albert, Much more energy than Rick's win. Brodie has had a far more dominant year than Rick did.

All RK did was circulate for the year and accumulate points, not a bad strategy in the end, but to come away with the championship without a single win was also an inditement of a points system that didn't give enough credit to winning.

Brodie on the other hand has had a pretty good year and taken it up to one of the most dominant teams in Supercar history.

I rate it far above RK's very meh championship.

I think Ingall also won without a round win? Seton as well??? but its amount the number of points you have at the end of the day doesn't have clauses that say must have round win etc.

Plenty of "doing a Bradbury" in all sports doesn't and shouldn't detract from the winner. Plenty of "ifs" and "buts" in sport.

Brodie will deserve the win should he do it, its not over yet, just look at last night world cup cricket as what can happen.

skaifeman

Yeah, on merit.
Kostecki 6 wins, SVG 5 (6 without Newcastle DSQ).
Kostecki 18 podiums, SVG 11 (12 without Newcastle DSQ).
Kostecki 8 poles, SVG 3.
SVG 3 fastest laps, Kostecki 2.

Pretty line ball, if anything in Kostecki's favour.

Kostecki has almost doubled Kelly's podiums and has won 6x more. He's hardly been coasting, although has been consistent - as has every Championship winner, historically.
I thought you'd say it has a bit more of an asterisk energy to add to the other one.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

If Brodie and Erebus do manage to take both championships, it will be the first time since 2005 that Triple Eight have not had the leading driver for their brand of car in the drivers' championship, and have not been the leading team for their brand in the teams' championship.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Bloopy

Quote from: madbugger on November 08, 2023, 07:28:27 AMAll RK did was circulate for the year and accumulate points, not a bad strategy in the end, but to come away with the championship without a single win was also an inditement of a points system that didn't give enough credit to winning.
One race win wasn't it? I don't think it's a bad thing as race wins are already thoroughly celebrated with champagne and trophies, while consistency is more difficult to pull off (especially if other drivers are crashing into you :-\). They did improve the points balance a bit since anyway, but by my quick calculations Rick would still have won by about 17 points or so under the current points system. Podiums at Clipsal and the enduros counted for a lot.

Funnily enough, Brodie vs SVG results at Sandown & Bathurst this year mirror Rick vs Lowndes in 2006.

Troy01505

Same energy as 2019 you mean, when the main rivals were "hamstrung" for most of the year.

2006 was nothing like this season. A driver was told "win it or bin it" and won it. If Ford teams were not so stupid and worked together when the others are totally out of the fight, CL would have one more championship trophy

AlbertM

Quote from: skaifeman on November 08, 2023, 09:52:42 AM

Yeah, on merit.
Kostecki 8 poles, SVG 3.

Kostecki has almost doubled Kelly's podiums and has won 6x more. He's hardly been coasting, although has been consistent - as has every Championship winner, historically.
I thought you'd say it has a bit more of an asterisk energy to add to the other one.
Had SVG not been DSQ'd you wouldn't be making this comparison. On the track SVG has out-raced BK.
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: Troy01505 on November 08, 2023, 04:16:57 PM

Same energy as 2019 you mean, when the main rivals were "hamstrung" for most of the year.

2006 was nothing like this season. A driver was told "win it or bin it" and won it. If Ford teams were not so stupid and worked together when the others are totally out of the fight, CL would have one more championship trophy

Oh dear. I seem to have tripped over your chain again. I do apologise. The last time Fords worked together you still wet yourself over it.

I just gave my personal opinion of what I thought of this year. Seem you lot are just as precious as ever.
Ford Faithful

muz

Quote from: AlbertM on November 08, 2023, 09:15:44 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on November 08, 2023, 09:52:42 AM

Yeah, on merit.
Kostecki 8 poles, SVG 3.

Had SVG not been DSQ'd you wouldn't be making this comparison. On the track SVG has out-raced BK.

Interesting point of view - what gives you the impression SVG as outclassed BK?

The latter has more wins, podiums, poles, points...and every round it seems he has been there or therabouts. SVG has really struggled in some places, and struggled with the car as well.

For me, BK is the standout. Similar consistency to FORD's Russell Ingall in 2005, and HOLDEN's Rick Kelly in 2006 where consistency won it...but he has done more winning and fast stuff than those guys.

Hard to say with if's, but's and maybe's too - every year has those...