News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

The Bend Possibly Omitted in 2024

Started by drivexby, November 10, 2023, 01:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Does seem like a slap in the face for a new precinct that has invested millions, at from what I hear, world class quality.

To soften the blow, it'll replace the 500 once Sandown ceases in 2025:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/10/what-the-bend-enduro-means-for-the-sandown-500/
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

muz

I'm on the fence with The Bend. This year's racing was quite good, but a lot of years have been boring.

Sonic

confirmed no Bend for 2024... but speculation now that it will get the enduro in 2025 (which one would assume will kick Sandown out again... seriously??)

https://www.supercars.com/2024-supercars-calendar

dropped to a lousy 12 meetings for the year... pretty disappointing really...

add to that Vic now has 4 operating race tracks and we get 1 event (not including the GP which they are just another category filler)
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

SetonFan

A pretty disappointing calendar overall but perhaps not surprising they kept it fairly safe considering the financial position.

muz

Tough going for Supercars since the end of 2020.

It's now lost 3 of the best drivers in the last 20yrs across 3 seasons: McLaughlin, Whincup, SVG.

The new car has had lots of issues.

Covid

Lack of personalities in the paddock, and very few rivalries.

TV broadcast not as strong as it once was.

Someone needs to bring back the buzz around the sport.

No wonder it is a safe calendar next year.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Sonic on November 10, 2023, 08:39:40 PMconfirmed no Bend for 2024... but speculation now that it will get the enduro in 2025 (which one would assume will kick Sandown out again... seriously??)

I can now start plotting my strategy as to when to go down under.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Bloopy

Quote from: muz on November 11, 2023, 07:54:55 AMIt's now lost 3 of the best drivers in the last 20yrs across 3 seasons: McLaughlin, Whincup, SVG.
With those 3 there was almost always a clear favourite going into each season. Now I dunno how to create a new "buzz" about it, but I expect 2024 could be a more exciting championship than what we've seen in a long time. A compact calendar isn't necessarily a boring one.

stevo qld

The Calendar gives very little encouragement to general motorsport in Australia.

The number of permanent circuits visited in each state appear to be:

NSW. 1
Qld. NiL
Vic, Nil
SA.  Nil
NT. 1
WA. 1
Tas. 1

Thats just four and an additional 1 in NZ.  >:(

So South Australia, and the Bend, are not the only places hard done by.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on November 11, 2023, 06:53:23 PMThe Calendar gives very little encouragement to general motorsport in Australia.

The number of permanent circuits visited in each state appear to be:

NSW. 1
Qld. NiL
Vic, Nil
SA.  Nil
NT. 1
WA. 1
Tas. 1

Thats just four and an additional 1 in NZ.  >:(

So South Australia, and the Bend, are not the only places hard done by.

Vic does get 1 with Sandown

but 5 race weekends out of a 12 round series on proper prepared racetracks is abysmal!
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

stevo qld

I didn't count Sandown as it is only a part time track and doesn't cater for all the practice and training that is available at a permanent racetrack facility.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Trevor

skaifeman

Quote from: Sonic on November 10, 2023, 08:39:40 PMconfirmed no Bend for 2024... but speculation now that it will get the enduro in 2025 (which one would assume will kick Sandown out again... seriously??)

dropped to a lousy 12 meetings for the year... pretty disappointing really...

add to that Vic now has 4 operating race tracks and we get 1 event (not including the GP which they are just another category filler)

Did they kick Sandown out, or has Sandown finally pulled the pin beyond 2024?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

murph_fan51

Quote from: muz on November 11, 2023, 07:54:55 AMTough going for Supercars since the end of 2020.

It's now lost 3 of the best drivers in the last 20yrs across 3 seasons: McLaughlin, Whincup, SVG.

TV broadcast not as strong as it once was.

Someone needs to bring back the buzz around the sport.
Tony Cochrane needs to be asked back.

As for lost its 3 best drivers, not sure how that's tough going for the sport? I'd say Lowndes leaving was the bigger deal. Newer drivers will step up.
debris debris debris

muz

tough for the sport from a TV, promotion, fanbase, character standpoint.