News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2022

Started by murph_fan51, June 12, 2021, 08:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brighty08

I find it incredible that there is obvious talent in Goddard then somehow Jack Smith lands a ride.

stevo qld

Quote from: brighty08 on January 08, 2022, 09:30:05 PM
I find it incredible that there is obvious talent in Goddard then somehow Jack Smith lands a ride.
and previous posts.

1. I don't see the obvious talent with Goddard and he is apparently hampered by his personal team decisions, failing to renew with MSR as an example.

2.Any suggestion that Goddard should have had the vacant seat at Grove is not plausible. Grove need a level head driver for 2023 as a team mate when they promote their favoured newcomer. Reynolds is not only erratic, but he has consistently shown a selfish, non-team player attitude and is probably only at Grove due to the inherited second year of a deal with Todd Kelly and the obvious glee at Erubus when Reynolds walked away from his 10 year contract,
just as he has broken contracts with previous teams. Betty was apparently happy to see him go.

3. Smith is driving for a family operation. The whole point of their investment is to provide a seat for Jack. I do, however understand that there is a timeline imposed by Daddy for both Jack and his brother overseas. Realistically, why would daddy replace his son, who came 21st, with someone else's son who came only 20th, a mere 1 place better..

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Skip

Is Chaz still looking for a codriver?
Wau are recruiting big time in the engineering department.
I wonder of the team previously known as techno will still be the tail end team, or if we'll see an improvement straight out of the box. So many questions!!

stevo qld

Now that Team Sydney is no longer team Sydney and is on the move, I wonder what happens with all the past and future incentives offered by Sydney, NSW and ARDC, etc.?

Seriously, with a decent budget and 888 support, PremiAir racing might punch out a few good results this year, Fabian Coulthard is still a very capable top five-ish driver given the right car.

Peter Xiberras is a successful competitor in his previous efforts and is a Top Fuel Drag Racing Champion. Maybe he will co-drive a relatively underpowered Commodore.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/06/14/xiberras-in-record-breaking-triumph-at-winternationals/

QuotePeter Xiberras and the PremiAir Racing team have won the Gulf Western Oils Winternationals and the 400 Thunder Top Fuel championship in record-breaking fashion.

Xiberras beat Phil Lamattina in the final at Willowbank Raceway, having completed the fastest 1000-foot pass in Australian history earlier in the day.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Troy01505

Glad to see the back of Jono. He clearly had no interest in improving his team these last few years.

skaifeman

Fabs ain't safe:
https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/pither-linked-supercars-return/7265931/

Pither looking at Team Sydney (or whatever they're called) with sponsorship from Coke.
Does this mean Macauley Jones will have the carpet pulled from under him?
Goddard also in the picture.

Fabs to co-drive?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Quote from: Troy01505 on January 14, 2022, 09:52:45 AM
Glad to see the back of Jono. He clearly had no interest in improving his team these last few years.

I disagree. Jono, just like most people could not spend money that was not available. By the end he had only one car and no stable base and staff. he has done the right thing by selling the remaining assets.

It is said that the way to make a small fortune out of Motor Racing is to start with a large fortune.

Most of the teams ahead of Team Sydney have wealthy owners or owners backed by financially well off family businesses. Some owner syndicates would be in the collective $ billion class, if not individually.

When Jono had decent $ backing, the team did well, including Bathurst. Competitive costs have increased to the point where other owners have needed to sell or take on partners or run customer cars.  The wayside dustbin is full of former Supercar Teams and/or owners.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Skip

So where to for Fabs? wau as a co-ey alongside Chaz?

stevo qld

It is interesting that Peter Xiberras purchased the assets of the Team, not the team. I suppose that is the one car they had left and all the pit apparatus and one or two REC's (or whatever they are called now).

Meanwhile Speedcafe claim:
QuoteFabian Coulthard and Garry Jacobson's hopes of securing their Supercars futures are being stalled as they await a release from their Team Sydney contracts.

Speedcafe.com has learnt that both Coulthard and Jacobson are technically tied to the now defunct Team Sydney, meaning neither can formally negotiate elsewhere until cutting ties with the Webb family.

Are they really serious?????????  Since when are contracts enforceable anyway.

Coulthard should get on the phone to Davy Reynolds, who is a repeat expert at dumping contracts.  Maybe even James Courtney or Shane van Gizbergen.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/01/15/ex-team-sydney-drivers-still-awaiting-contract-release/
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

I would have thought those contracts now mean squat. Surely they were for a seat in a supercar, now that Webb cannot provide that, unless there is a clause otherwise, he would probably have to pay the contract out.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on January 15, 2022, 04:43:38 PM
It is interesting that Peter Xiberras purchased the assets of the Team, not the team. I suppose that is the one car they had left and all the pit apparatus and one or two REC's (or whatever they are called now).

QuoteFabian Coulthard and Garry Jacobson's hopes of securing their Supercars futures are being stalled as they await a release from their Team Sydney contracts.

Speedcafe.com has learnt that both Coulthard and Jacobson are technically tied to the now defunct Team Sydney, meaning neither can formally negotiate elsewhere until cutting ties with the Webb family.

Coulthard should get on the phone to Davy Reynolds, who is a repeat expert at dumping contracts.  Maybe even James Courtney or Shane van Gizbergen.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/01/15/ex-team-sydney-drivers-still-awaiting-contract-release/

Xiberras only purchased the assets? Everything I read is 'team.' So Fabs and Jacobson now have a contract with a non-Racing team?

To be fair to JC and SVG, was that not the best decision ever?

Where will Fabs land? WAU or back at DJR? From memory, I don't think Fabs was thrilled with getting dumped by DJR, but he also has history with Walkinshaw.

stevo qld

Quote from: skaifeman on January 16, 2022, 11:36:06 AM

Xiberras only purchased the assets? Everything I read is 'team.' So Fabs and Jacobson now have a contract with a non-Racing team?

Where will Fabs land? WAU or back at DJR? From memory, I don't think Fabs was thrilled with getting dumped by DJR, but he also has history with Walkinshaw.

Try reading this one. maybe it is accurate coming from Glover.
QuoteThe newest team in Supercars is a blank sheet of paper for its owner, Peter Xiberras.

Team Sydney is dead and, after purchasing the assets of Tekno Autosports from Jono Webb, the successful Sydney businessman and Top Fuel racer says he is racing to get the team ready for the start of the 2022 championship.

https://autoaction.com.au/2022/01/13/blank-sheet-for-new-supercars-team-owner

Also SVG didn't break a contract with Tekno. It was the SBR/Erebus situation, and it was to get into Tekno, but agree it ended up a good decision because Tekno won Bathurst. ;)
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on January 16, 2022, 12:42:35 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on January 16, 2022, 11:36:06 AM

Also SVG didn't break a contract with Tekno. It was the SBR/Erebus situation, and it was to get into Tekno, but agree it ended up a good decision because Tekno won Bathurst. ;)

I was referring to the SVG/SBR-Erebus contract. Yes, a bloody good decision.