News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Townsville Round 1 with Spoliers

Started by Sonic, July 09, 2021, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mal

On the grid working on Hazelwoods engine.

Mal

What Percat comes in to pit and his crew were not ready for him.

Mal

Percat going to do 44 laps with no power steering going to be long race for him.

CP

Geez, whatever changes they've made to the racing over the off season has sucked the life out of these longer races.

skaifeman

Quote from: AlbertM on July 10, 2021, 03:19:47 AM
Advantage or not, the tanks being measured by sight glass, 888's tank would hold more fuel with the bulges. Question is, why are the 888 tanks bulged out? Looking at the Speedcafe photo the corner gussets are clearly bent. That would have taken some force to do that.

No doubt 888 have either done it purposely or at a minimum known about it.
Doubt they've been beaten, it does look like a natural buldge, even the DJR ones are buldged, just not as dramatic.

Why is 888 the only team with tyres in the sun? Are they the only one confident they can keep the pressures above the minimum?
Their stacking theory used today is pretty smart too.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

"No one with ten race wins has lost a championship."

Apart from Skaife in 1999 (12 wins) and Lowndes in 2000 (10 wins). Great job commentary team!

Awesome drive from Davison today to maintain P4 after a difficult first stint and early stop. How good was Will Brown today?
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

skaifeman

Good to see SVG racing Whincup as he races others. Very similar hold up move he did to McLaughlin last year.

Will Brown is a star. Penrite left with the wrong driver! :P
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

LG

Quote from: skaifeman on July 11, 2021, 04:47:43 PM
Good to see SVG racing Whincup as he races others. Very similar hold up move he did to McLaughlin last year.

Will Brown is a star. Penrite left with the wrong driver! :P

Will is only a young fella too (about 22 or 23). I think and have thought for some time that he has a real future ahead of him.
888 should seriously think about trying to poach him for next year.
I think he's the most talented of all the young ones.

AlbertM

Quote from: skaifeman on July 11, 2021, 04:06:09 PM
Quote from: AlbertM on July 10, 2021, 03:19:47 AM
Advantage or not, the tanks being measured by sight glass, 888's tank would hold more fuel with the bulges. Question is, why are the 888 tanks bulged out? Looking at the Speedcafe photo the corner gussets are clearly bent. That would have taken some force to do that.

No doubt 888 have either done it purposely or at a minimum known about it.
Doubt they've been beaten, it does look like a natural buldge, even the DJR ones are buldged, just not as dramatic.

Why is 888 the only team with tyres in the sun? Are they the only one confident they can keep the pressures above the minimum?
Their stacking theory used today is pretty smart too.

It's obvious the tanks have been over pressurised to bulge (888 or DJR). Certainly not enough weight in the fuel to do it. It's a none issue if the sight glass is calibrated for the extra volume.
Ford Faithful

hsv8fan

Quote from: LG on July 11, 2021, 01:11:39 PM
Quote from: djr18fan on July 11, 2021, 06:52:35 AM
Quote from: LG on July 11, 2021, 02:46:19 AM
Quote from: hsv8fan on July 10, 2021, 10:52:07 PM
I don't know why Supercars just don't go drag racing!
There is complete lack of regard for track design with nearly full car width off the track jumping kerbs and running wide of corners

I hear you on that one.

I disagree. The kerbs are designed for the cars to run over. The rule is that 2 wheels must be on the track side of the kerb (effectively. The rule may worded differently) the other 2 wheels can be wherever they like. Same when a painted line is the track limit.
It doesn't matter where the cars are positioned as long as it's the same for everyone.
The rule could be changed to require all 4 wheels to remain inside kerbs - reducing the spectacle and slowing the cars. Or the rule not changed and the corners tightened - slowing the cars. Or the rule changed and the corners opened up - Reducing the spectacle without reducing speed.
Using the kerbs also adds a challenge and options for teams in suspension settings.

Bottom line - the drivers aren't cheating. The corners are designed to be cut.

I hear you  but my problem is I'm old school. A track is designed and built to be raced on.
If you go off the track then you're off the track.
Adding a bit here and there where drivers go off because they are trying too hard or going too fast is not solving a problem.
It's simply giving in.
We hear this phrase about driving every day, 'Drive to the conditions.'
Don't go faster and expect the powers that be to change the track for you.
Find a way of going round the track without going off it.

Spot on LG,  My point exactly

djr18fan

Quote from: hsv8fan on July 11, 2021, 07:33:48 PM
There is complete lack of regard for track design with nearly full car width off the track jumping kerbs and running wide of corners

I hear you on that one.

I disagree. The kerbs are designed for the cars to run over. The rule is that 2 wheels must be on the track side of the kerb (effectively. The rule may worded differently) the other 2 wheels can be wherever they like. Same when a painted line is the track limit.
It doesn't matter where the cars are positioned as long as it's the same for everyone.
The rule could be changed to require all 4 wheels to remain inside kerbs - reducing the spectacle and slowing the cars. Or the rule not changed and the corners tightened - slowing the cars. Or the rule changed and the corners opened up - Reducing the spectacle without reducing speed.
Using the kerbs also adds a challenge and options for teams in suspension settings.

I hear you  but my problem is I'm old school. A track is designed and built to be raced on.
Adding a bit here and there where drivers go off because they are trying too hard or going too fast is not solving a problem.
It's simply giving in.

Spot on LG,  My point exactly

The kerbs are part of the track. They are designed to be driven on. Cars are not going off the track when 2 wheels go over them. Same applies to other sealed areas.

Trevor

I haven't watched the races or seen the results, but by reading this I don't think I will waste my time with ether

Sonic

I hear you on that one.

It's simply giving in.

wouldn't be going past the limits with a concrete wall there... so if they are sufficiently capable to drive within the limits then they should also drive within them when there are no walls.

no hassle with them using kerbs even though really they are out of the track boundaries but everyone running out of track limits is getting old... if you can't drive on the black stuff then move over and let someone else race.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Tickford8

Apart from 888, it seems like everyone else is marking time and putting in minimal effort until ownership change and Gen3 hoping by miracle it'll end 888's domination of the series. The last time it was this boring was the AU era.

skaifeman

Quote from: Trevor on July 12, 2021, 07:09:26 AM
I haven't watched the races or seen the results, but by reading this I don't think I will waste my time with ether

There was good racing between positions 1-2, and good racing between positions 3-24. Just a gap inbetween.