News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Townsville Round 1 with Spoliers

Started by Sonic, July 09, 2021, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 10, 2021, 07:04:33 AM
I'm a little late on the draw, but why are we having two Townsville weekends?  Is it because Winton is becoming more and more iffy?  I see it is still on the calendar at season's end.

Or is it there to replace the AGP round?

Possibly both but they are contractually obligated to hold 14 rounds to get their money from Foxtel and to a lesser extent, channel 7.

AlbertM

Quote from: stp01 on July 10, 2021, 09:15:01 AM
Quote from: jd on July 09, 2021, 08:22:40 PM
As Larko says the "facts are the facts it would be an advantage....."

https://www.supercars.com/videos/championship/larko-breaks-down-fuel-tank-chatter/

Well, maybe. But as they are using the sight glasses, not actual volume, to determine the fuel drop, a fatter tank would be delivering more fuel. So if any increase in pressure gives them a fuel flow advantage, this may be cancelled out by actually delivering more fuel than the other teams.

The only way to be sure is to compare across a few teams the time it takes to dump fuel from one mark on the sight glass to the next.

The fuel flow and/or time during a pitstop would be negligible. The advantage is they could put more fuel in the car. Very helpful in longer/endurance races.
Ford Faithful

Troy01505

Quote from: AlbertM on July 10, 2021, 11:18:34 AM

https://www.supercars.com/videos/championship/larko-breaks-down-fuel-tank-chatter/

Well, maybe. But as they are using the sight glasses, not actual volume, to determine the fuel drop, a fatter tank would be delivering more fuel. So if any increase in pressure gives them a fuel flow advantage, this may be cancelled out by actually delivering more fuel than the other teams.

The only way to be sure is to compare across a few teams the time it takes to dump fuel from one mark on the sight glass to the next.

The fuel flow and/or time during a pitstop would be negligible. The advantage is they could put more fuel in the car. Very helpful in longer/endurance races.

It's timed and measured how much comes out, impossible to get away with when officials constantly monitor all the teams.

boris

Will Coulthard blame McLaughlin for the bad battery too now? ;D

Wow (after 2 hours during a Supercars Race) pretty dead in here now...

AlbertM

Quote from: Troy01505 on July 10, 2021, 12:03:50 PM

It's timed and measured how much comes out, impossible to get away with when officials constantly monitor all the teams.
It is not measured how much comes out. They measure how much they put in the fuel rig by the sight glass. The bulges allow more volume, if the sight glass does not take in to account this extra volume it is not accurate.
Ford Faithful

djr18fan

Quote from: AlbertM on July 10, 2021, 05:54:19 PM

It is not measured how much comes out. They measure how much they put in the fuel rig by the sight glass. The bulges allow more volume, if the sight glass does not take in to account this extra volume it is not accurate.
But is the T8 sight glass marked at exactly the same point as other teams sight glasses (distance from top mark to bottom), or marked st the point that indicates 140l (or whatever fuel drop is required). If the latter, as I think it should be, then the bottom mark will be a little higher than other teams leading to the alleged advantage in refuelling.

Troy01505

Quote from: AlbertM on July 10, 2021, 05:54:19 PM

Yeah, the top motorsport category in the country, filled with the biggest sooks in motorsport tops up their tanks the same way Joe blow tops up his lawnmower!  😂

Wonder if the bulging tank is why Gizzy was 3 tenths up?

AlbertM

Quote from: Troy01505 on July 10, 2021, 06:28:06 PM

Yeah, the top motorsport category in the country, filled with the biggest sooks in motorsport tops up their tanks the same way Joe blow tops up his lawnmower!  😂

Wonder if the bulging tank is why Gizzy was 3 tenths up?

Pretty much, from the same category that measures wind drag in the open air, rolling down a runway.   ;D ;)
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: djr18fan on July 10, 2021, 06:08:23 PM

But is the T8 sight glass marked at exactly the same point as other teams sight glasses (distance from top mark to bottom), or marked st the point that indicates 140l (or whatever fuel drop is required). If the latter, as I think it should be, then the bottom mark will be a little higher than other teams leading to the alleged advantage in refuelling.

That's the question.
Ford Faithful

murph_fan51

Was hoping Whincup would win but Shane's strategy was better. The longer races show how there is no gain in under cutting, I'm surprised the teams go for their pit stop so early especially in the last pit stop window ( I forget the name of the lap that the commentary team refer it as that can make it to end of race...?
debris debris debris

hsv8fan

I don't know why Supercars just don't go drag racing!
There is complete lack of regard for track design with nearly full car width off the track jumping kerbs and running wide of corners

LG

Quote from: hsv8fan on July 10, 2021, 10:52:07 PM
There is complete lack of regard for track design with nearly full car width off the track jumping kerbs and running wide of corners

I hear you on that one.

djr18fan

Quote from: LG on July 11, 2021, 02:46:19 AM

I hear you on that one.

I disagree. The kerbs are designed for the cars to run over. The rule is that 2 wheels must be on the track side of the kerb (effectively. The rule may worded differently) the other 2 wheels can be wherever they like. Same when a painted line is the track limit.
It doesn't matter where the cars are positioned as long as it's the same for everyone.
The rule could be changed to require all 4 wheels to remain inside kerbs - reducing the spectacle and slowing the cars. Or the rule not changed and the corners tightened - slowing the cars. Or the rule changed and the corners opened up - Reducing the spectacle without reducing speed.
Using the kerbs also adds a challenge and options for teams in suspension settings.

Bottom line - the drivers aren't cheating. The corners are designed to be cut.

Mal

Front row lock out by 888
Second row lock out by BJR

LG

Quote from: djr18fan on July 11, 2021, 06:52:35 AM
Quote from: LG on July 11, 2021, 02:46:19 AM

I hear you on that one.

I disagree. The kerbs are designed for the cars to run over. The rule is that 2 wheels must be on the track side of the kerb (effectively. The rule may worded differently) the other 2 wheels can be wherever they like. Same when a painted line is the track limit.
It doesn't matter where the cars are positioned as long as it's the same for everyone.
The rule could be changed to require all 4 wheels to remain inside kerbs - reducing the spectacle and slowing the cars. Or the rule not changed and the corners tightened - slowing the cars. Or the rule changed and the corners opened up - Reducing the spectacle without reducing speed.
Using the kerbs also adds a challenge and options for teams in suspension settings.

Bottom line - the drivers aren't cheating. The corners are designed to be cut.

I hear you  but my problem is I'm old school. A track is designed and built to be raced on.
If you go off the track then you're off the track.
Adding a bit here and there where drivers go off because they are trying too hard or going too fast is not solving a problem.
It's simply giving in.
We hear this phrase about driving every day, 'Drive to the conditions.'
Don't go faster and expect the powers that be to change the track for you.
Find a way of going round the track without going off it.