News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silverstone - F1 Sprint

Started by mikeamerica84, July 16, 2021, 12:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

New format for qually this round.  Regular qually on Friday and a 17 lap sprint race on Saturday.

F1 Sprint
A fast and furious single stint race

Saturday afternoon brings the first F1 Sprint – a 100km dash, which based on the length of the Silverstone track will be 17 laps and it'll last around 25-30 minutes.

It is hoped cars will run at maximum speed for the full distance, without having to conserve their tyres. That might mean the compound of choice varies from circuit to circuit.

The tyre model used by F1's data team suggests that all the tyres will have the same level of performance when they are around 15 laps old. After that, the quickest tyre becomes the hard, followed by the medium.

The softs will struggle after that point, with their performance dropping off quickly.

Will teams choose to run the soft tyre, that will be quicker but might need a little bit of tyre management to stretch it to the flag or go for the harder rubber and maximum attack for the duration? It's all part of the intrigue.

The winner will get three points. Second and third will get two and one point respectively, with the classification defining the grid – and the pole position winner – for Sunday's Grand Prix.

It's a lot to take in. But F1 TV Pro subscribers will be able to benefit from a raft of features to help them keep up with the action, including onboards from all 20 drivers featuring their uncensored team radio, as well as the Pit Lane Channel, providing fans with expert commentary, along with on-screen data and in-depth analysis.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-sprint-what-to-expect-on-each-day-of-formula-1s-new-race-weekend-format.4CMuJh8GGAvTXi7Cm1vKov.html
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

meha

Have to wonder how many will take the sprint race seriously as there is the potential for a huge risk low reward scenario there. If you have an off or an accident in the sprint race it will seriously affect the race itself.

Kytabu

I was thinking that it could turn into a procession after the first lap, but then with DRS lowering the risk involved in overtaking it is a good opportunity to move a few places up the grid for the Grand Prix. I imagine the front-runners will turn their power units down (a mechanical failure in the sprint would destroy your Grand Prix), so those at the back and the lower half of the midfield could jump some places by running their power units at full strength. It should also help those who have been struggling in qualifying, such as Ricciardo. He has had decent race pace so if he can gain four or five positions in the sprint it will greatly improve his chances in the Grand Prix.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

skaifeman

I don't condone it. I like that F1 are looking at new things.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

Quote from: Kytabu on July 16, 2021, 11:54:25 AM
I was thinking that it could turn into a procession after the first lap, but then with DRS lowering the risk involved in overtaking it is a good opportunity to move a few places up the grid for the Grand Prix. I imagine the front-runners will turn their power units down (a mechanical failure in the sprint would destroy your Grand Prix), so those at the back and the lower half of the midfield could jump some places by running their power units at full strength. It should also help those who have been struggling in qualifying, such as Ricciardo. He has had decent race pace so if he can gain four or five positions in the sprint it will greatly improve his chances in the Grand Prix.

If they change their engine settings for the quali races are they permitted to change them for the race proper or are they going to be in parc ferme from the conclusion?

If they run with your idea of lower engine settings could we get Russell into the top ten in a pretend race? (I don't mind that they are using it to set the grid but it is still a race and should be credited as such)
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Kytabu

Was just looking at the rule changes from last year again and it seems that if an engine is turned down for reliability during a race, it cannot be put back to its original mode. I assume that means the teams won't be able to run with the engine turned down "for reliability reasons" during the sprint and then turn them back up for the Grand Prix.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Mal

First Sprint race and i enjoyed it was good to watch.