News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Winton or Wintoff? (Spoilers)

Started by CP, May 27, 2021, 08:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

Quote from: CP on July 08, 2021, 08:10:11 AM
Quote from: PVDA on July 03, 2021, 09:49:41 AM
The decision was the same for both cars at the time, although many laps apart, leave them as they were in relatively safe locations.

Ambrose self recovered although why he NEVER tried to reverse out prior to letting the air out is beyond me and Skaife was dragged out when a Safety Car was called for another incident.

Skaife was still classified as a finisher as he just managed to get the required 75 laps in the 100 lap race to do 75% race distance.

Anyway back on topic.

Word has it the reschedule date is November but I note Supercars already has NZ, F1GP & Gold Coast all 2 weeks apart in November already.

Winton to fill the AGP void?

With a double round for Winton and AGP... Winton short and long track... it needs to be done dammit! :D
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Trevor

Quote from: Sonic on July 08, 2021, 08:30:13 AM
With a double round for Winton and AGP... Winton short and long track... it needs to be done dammit! :D
I could never race the short track, same as I couldn't race Wakefield Park, I get too much motion sickness, back (short) straight, heavy braking then that quick right, left then right would do me in everytime  :-X

Sonic

Quote from: Trevor on July 08, 2021, 03:25:46 PM
I could never race the short track, same as I couldn't race Wakefield Park, I get too much motion sickness, back (short) straight, heavy braking then that quick right, left then right would do me in everytime  :-X

yeah it's not for everybody... but these guys are supposed to be the best of the best, would love to see them on the short track.

madbugger

Quote from: Trevor on July 08, 2021, 03:25:46 PM

That back straight certainly was short. One of my favourite memories of winton is driving a mates RX3 coupe there on a private practice day. I was almost to my braking marker when I looked in the rear view mirror to see a F5000 coming out of the hairpin. He made the first right hand corner before me.

He was heading into the sweeper as I trundled over the start finish line.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Damn that thing was quick.  Not sure what his lap times were, I was doing around 1.16, The Shell Sierra' s were doing around 1.02 and I think the F5000 record was about 56 seconds
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

The GM product will be a 5.7L:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/07/10/supercars-confirms-gen3-camaro-engine-capacity/

If the reason is because it'll be easier for parity, that'll do me.
As a modest tuner myself, there's a million ways to pull any one engine down to suit another, just with a tune, let alone any internals...
...not to mention they're probably paying Ilmor an arm and a leg to get the things even, GM should decide what they want to run, not Supercars.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

murph_fan51

Without going too far off topic, is Hampton or Hamptoff? Will the NZ round happen? I'm starting to think it won't  :(
debris debris debris

Sonic

Quote from: murph_fan51 on July 12, 2021, 06:55:44 PM
Without going too far off topic, is Hampton or Hamptoff? Will the NZ round happen? I'm starting to think it won't  :(

At this point even wondering how much of any of the SC season is on/off with 2/3 of the east coast locked down.

All the Vic teams were gone last year, maybe this year they can do the reverse and get the northern teams to come down here for a month or so and run a bunch of races in Vic with 3 tracks/4 layouts available... Sandown becomes the feature for the year if Bathurst can't run... has there ever been a Sandown 1000? (think it would prob be pretty boring though, 500 is enough there)

Trevor

I would rather see Bathurst return 'home', make it the Phillip Island 1000  :D

Sonic

Quote from: Trevor on July 13, 2021, 10:34:29 AM
I would rather see Bathurst return 'home', make it the Phillip Island 1000  :D

That would be good. Vic double of Sandown 500 and Island 1000!

PVDA

Winton ran an event using the traditional short circuit last weekend, this weekend was supposed to be an AMRS round using the long track but the lockdown sadly scuppered that event.

There is two historic events at Winton with one using the short track for the last 44 years and the newer event the long track.

SetonFan

Even though it's only QR, good to see them going there for the next round rather than another duplicate round at The Bend/Townsville etc.

LG

Quote from: SetonFan on July 18, 2021, 01:51:18 PM
Even though it's only QR, good to see them going there for the next round rather than another duplicate round at The Bend/Townsville etc.

And yet the racing is always good at QR...

PVDA

QR looks like a boring layout but having driven it it is not that bad.

We should probably consign QR chat to a Qr event thread I think.

Trevor

PVDA

So Winton is now penciled in for 2-3 October and a TBA round a couple of weeks later rumoured to be a 2+4 at PI.